Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barton

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Dunk had issues with Barnes before Barnes even got on the pitch. Dunk wandered over to get a drink right next to Barnes when he was waiting to come on, had a few words then tapped him the side of the face. It didn't appear to be particularly friendly.

Maybe just knew that Barnes has a bit of a screw loose sometimes. I was hoping he'd get himself sent off straight away as that was always a possibility when he was hyped up for a game. Winding him up always seemed to be the best way to nullify him.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Interesting to read that an appeal for both incidents can only be lodged if the referee includes it in his report. How can he report it as he clearly didn't see anything wrong first time round.
I am more annoyed that the linesman or fourth official didn't get involved. Think back to the two sending off game and it was the fourth official who made one of the decisions.
I don't blame Barton as it is the way he plays, however do blame the officials for allowing it to take place, surely they should be protecting players from serious injury. At the end of the game players hand taken matters into their own hands as we saw with Dunk with his trip on Barnes after an offside had been flagged and a gentle nudge on Barton. Fair play to Dunk for doing it as we had seen Barton getting away with similar throughout the game.
Be interesting to see what the FA assessor had in his report, I can't see any further action being taken due to the officials total incompetence.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Maybe just knew that Barnes has a bit of a screw loose sometimes. I was hoping he'd get himself sent off straight away as that was always a possibility when he was hyped up for a game. Winding him up always seemed to be the best way to nullify him.

I noticed this and wondered if there had been any history between the two?

As a Burnley fan I cannot defend the stamp and it doesn't do well to try, at the very best Kayal had his leg up trying to block Barton going past him but that in no way justifies what Barton did. I was surprised that we got a point, in reality we played as I expected with Gray playing on the shoulder hitting the right channel and Vokes deeper attacking the left. This splits the centre backs and creates the space for Boyd and Arfield to hit.

You had one great chance in the first half and had your player found Wilson with the cross you would have gone 3-1 up and killed the game in the second. I still think you're better than Boro though and genuinely hope you go up alongside us.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If he does get a retrospective punishment then I'm a chinaman. The FA don't have the balls.

I really don't care if he does or not to be honest, as it won't benefit us in the slightest. Whatever happens, what he did yesterday in the course of the match itself, he has got away with.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I am more annoyed that the linesman or fourth official didn't get involved. Think back to the two sending off game and it was the fourth official who made one of the decisions.
I don't blame Barton as it is the way he plays, however do blame the officials for allowing it to take place, surely they should be protecting players from serious injury.

This might explain why the fourth official did nothing. Seems he was as scared of Dyche as Pawson was of Barton (used to think Dyche was all right as managers go, but seems he is a massive **** - he had a go at Kayal after Barton stamped on him. Unbelievable)

(from the Observer - not sure about 'clumsy challenge!')

"After the break Kayal continued to control the midfield before a clumsy challenge from Joey Barton left him receiving treatment in front of Dyche, who had spent most of the first half moaning at the fourth official, Darren Deadman, and who oddly now turned his ire on Kayal. Dyche was upset at an earlier challenge by Knockaert."

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
After Bartons stamp on Kayal, the Sky commentator said that CH moaned at SD on the touchline.
Did this happen as described or did CH just give a stare?

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

As a Burnley fan I cannot defend the stamp and it doesn't do well to try, at the very best Kayal had his leg up trying to block Barton going past him but that in no way justifies what Barton did. I was surprised that we got a point, in reality we played as I expected with Gray playing on the shoulder hitting the right channel and Vokes deeper attacking the left. This splits the centre backs and creates the space for Boyd and Arfield to hit.

You had one great chance in the first half and had your player found Wilson with the cross you would have gone 3-1 up and killed the game in the second. I still think you're better than Boro though and genuinely hope you go up alongside us.

That's a very reasonable post. Obviously, I think most of us Brighton fans felt the overall performance deserved 3 points but ultimately it's what you do in front of goal that counts, and if you don't kill teams off, you can't complain. Having had the let-off of the 'goal' that wasn't allowed, we should really have been able to see the match out. I think we're a better team now than under Poyet but he would have emphasised possession and pulled every trick in the book in that situation to slow the game down, break up play, time waste and generally prevent the opposition from mounting sustained pressure. Nobody likes seeing that very much, but it's just that little bit of nous that's required sometimes. The challenge on Kayal aside - which I did think was downright dangerous and deliberate - most of what Barton was up to probably just about fell into that category. He had the ref in his pocket and really Pawson should take most of the blame for not putting him in his place early on. Certainly I don't think any of our lesser-known players would have stood a chance if they were in the ref's ear constantly like that. Fair play though to Burnley for grinding out the result from what I imagine was a pretty below-par display by recent standards. It ruined my weekend but that's football!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bored of Barton now.

I was annoyed when he didn't get booked for an early foul, but put it down to the referee giving him a warning. Then I was annoyed because he moaned and moaned and moaned on about something for the next ten minutes and didn't get booked, despite a crystal clear display of dissent. Then he committed two more fouls, and on each of those, the ref seemed to give him another warning. By this stage, I was fairly sure he'd must have had some sort of compromising pictures of Craig Pawson involving several lines of coke and a an array of exotic prostitutes.

Then came the stamp- my question on this is, if it was an accident as a result of trying to jump over him, Joey, why didn't you immediately apologise? Surely that's your instinctive reaction to accidentally hurting somebody? No, you accused him of play acting and wasting time.

The elbow seems fairly clear cut as well, though I can't for the life of me see what it was that made contact with Barton's face that caused him to lie on the floor clutching it, as no part of Kayal's body was anywhere near his beautiful little features. Hold on, Joey- wasn't it you who said it's a contact sport?

I'm pissed off with his obvious lie after the game (the "accidental" bullshit, which clearly isn't true in the case of the stamp at least). Man up, face your responsibilities and admit it, Joey. Kayal was streets ahead of you in that game, and you couldn't deal with it, so you resorted to Bad Old Joey as you always do when things aren't going your way.

Hughton hasn't condemned him because he's the nicest man in football, and he never criticises anybody. That's fair enough, and I quite admire him for that. He's probably keeping his feelings for himself. I don't need Chris Hughton to confirm what I saw, and Burnley fans certainly don't have any reason to use Hughton's words as validation for Barton's nasty, thuggish behaviour.

What a great game of football, by the way. High standard on display, we played some great stuff at times, just a shame their corners were consistently so good, and a real threat every time they got one. Bringing on Barnes for the (tap-in aside) ineffective Gray was a great move, as he won every aerial ball he contested, upping the corner count, and ultimately resulting in their equaliser. Not sure they really deserved the point on the balance of play, but equally we knew at the time of the game that Keane's first header was over the line so at least it means they can't moan about that.

I hope they put as much effort in against Boro when they play them anyway.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
After Bartons stamp on Kayal, the Sky commentator said that CH moaned at SD on the touchline.
Did this happen as described or did CH just give a stare?

As kayal went down, dyche initially tried to distract the linesman and 4th official by pointing something out at the southern end. Then he tried to implicate that kayal was faking it. At this point Hughton walked across and said something really calmly. I think itvwas 'how can you complain at that '

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Haven't read the thread but have always liked his bite. However, disgusted with him yesterday, although we have had worse over the years.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Haven't read the thread but have always liked his bite. However, disgusted with him yesterday, although we have had worse over the years.
Not sure I have a problem with Barton. We all know what he is, Dyche knows it and Burnley fans know it. The game was let down by inadequate referees in at least three positions who for some reason felt unable to stand up to him. Luckily Kayal was not seriously injured due to their weakness. I have no expectation that the FA will deal with either Barton or the refereeing as they have shown no desire to do so before.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Don't know if this has been said yet, but if you know (or even think) you will be landing with your studs on another player (and I can't believe he didn't know) then your reaction would be to make sure that your weight is taken on the other leg.
No, not Barton. He made sure that his weight went onto Kayal's knee by straightening his leg slightly and bending the other one a bit.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
As kayal went down, dyche initially tried to distract the linesman and 4th official by pointing something out at the southern end. Then he tried to implicate that kayal was faking it. At this point Hughton walked across and said something really calmly. I think itvwas 'how can you complain at that '

It was far from calm.

My seat is behind the away team dugout and, finally, Hughton got a bit angry. Unfortunately he let Douche control all of the officials for most of the game. Every decision given against his clogging animals he was yelling and screaming at them. Every effing minute he had something to say to them.

Fecking horrible club-manager and fans stuck in a 70s mindset. Really hope they feck up and miss out on promotion-they are due a blip in form.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Dunk had issues with Barnes before Barnes even got on the pitch. Dunk wandered over to get a drink right next to Barnes when he was waiting to come on, had a few words then tapped him the side of the face. It didn't appear to be particularly friendly.

Maybe he was suggesting how he should tackle the ref? Sertiously I watched the tackle on the TV live in a pub, and I said to an Albion supporter there that it was a straight red offence. Barton seemed to almost throw himself in the air to get more downwards momentum when he landed.

But then I'm not worried who gets promoted to the Premiership, just who comes down...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Man Marking.

Astonished to see Burnley defending Barton. He was at fault and now they are too.

It was deliberate policy decision by Dyche. He said man mark Kayal and Barton took it literally.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
The ref bottled it.
He came over and saw the stud marks right down Kayal's leg then wet himself in case Barton did the same to him :ohmy:
Only a matter of time in Barton's case:tosser:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I was under the impression that Kayal's leg was up in the air as Barton had kicked him twice in the back of the legs, thus tripping him up. That was the foul that the Ref gave, not the stamp.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Don't know if this has been said yet, but if you know (or even think) you will be landing with your studs on another player (and I can't believe he didn't know) then your reaction would be to make sure that your weight is taken on the other leg.
No, not Barton. He made sure that his weight went onto Kayal's knee by straightening his leg slightly and bending the other one a bit.

Yes - this is what I was just going to post. It's one thing accidentally being in a position where you know you're going to land on someone, and try to take avoiding action - like as you say, lift your foot, take the weight on the other one, or even just fall over with the player you're about to land on. What I find so cynical about Barton is just the thing you point out - his action was quite definitely one of actually increasing the force of the foot just about to land on Kayal's knee. There is no way that was accidental. Even if it was subconscious, it reveals his nasty attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here