Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Incredible signing. But cain't help but feel sorry for Steele and all the other impressive young keepers coming back from loan.

Bart looks class but I'm worried about 20mil being taken away from the budget when we have other defensive positions that need filling much more urgently.
Sanchez obviously wants to go, Steele is 32, and McGill/Rushworth are a while away from playing Prem football in terms of experience. So this signing is needed, & it wont be at the expense of our budget for defenders.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Well, I like the cut of his jib. Welcome Bart. I guess whoever is going to be 2nd choice Keeper is still going to get a fair few games this year with all the cup games.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Incredible signing. But cain't help but feel sorry for Steele and all the other impressive young keepers coming back from loan.

Bart looks class but I'm worried about 20mil being taken away from the budget when we have other defensive positions that need filling much more urgently.

With Sanchez going, GK was undoubtedly our weakest position. Would say this is one of our more important signings.

Think it will be a safe prediction to say that Verbruggen will be first choice by the end of the season, if not from day one.

Steele is a great backup/cup keeper, played an important role last season, but he is not good enough to meet our ambitions by some way.

£16m for a 20 year old international keeper with European experience is an absolute steal.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I hear what you are saying, but taking Sanchez out of the equation, should Jason Steele be injured/suspended we currently have no back up keeper with any first team experience at all.

A good signing l think, and he should be pushing Steele hard for a starting place. Competition for every position, that is the goal we are aiming to achieve,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Obviously not impressive enough, or else TB wouldn't be spaffing out millions on a new GK.

Steele will be fine. He'll have plenty of game time this season, given the number of competitions, plus he also knows that an injury/suspension/form issue from Bart (assuming he will be the new first-choice) will put Steele back in goal pronto. Also, you only have to look at what he's been through in his career to know he's a resilient guy. A new kid on the block probably won't bother him too much.

Another view on BV is the same as any other of the young talents at (or previously at) the club. He's potentially another one destined for the very top – and commanding a pretty hefty price tag to get there. Look at it that way and, in a couple of seasons, that £16m could seem like a very shrewd investment...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was, to some extent at least, the architect of his own demise, effectively going on strike by refusing to travel with the team, and sit on the bench.

What did he expect?
Well quite, shot himself in the foot and as always no player is bigger than the club

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
More a case of being a year too soon for Rushworth and Beadle, rather than 'not impressive enough'.
Yep, we have some good young talent at the club in goalkeeping postions, but that's exactly what the are, young.

Another season or two, and one or either could be knocking on the door of the first team squad.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yep, we have some good young talent at the club in goalkeeping postions, but that's exactly what the are, young.

Another season or two, and one or either could be knocking on the door of the first team squad.
The irony is this fella is actually younger than Rushworth and McGill and likely to surpass them both this season as first choice keeper.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Anyone remember how much Mat Ryan cost, assuming he was comfortably our most expensive goalkeeper signing til today?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here