[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’d imagine steel will start and gradually this fella will get more game time and likely be first choice come December /January
Managers generally don’t piss about chopping and changing keepers during the season. If he’s going to be our first-choice then it’s likely to be from the first PL fixture.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Being flexible of thinking, willing to change goalies mid season should one have a loss of form. Shirley a no-brainer?
Again, not disagreeing as such, but I think you have to allow for your goalkeeper to go through better/worse patches in the season.
When De Zerbi and Potter switched goalkeepers mid-season, it was because they felt there was a clearly better alternative available (in De Zerbi's case, specifically due to how he wanted the team to play). Not just because the other goalkeeper was in better form at the time.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Except for our last two managers - who did exactly that!!
Not quite the same. In both cases Ryan and Sanchez had completely lost form. Once they’d been replaced as first-choice keeper there was no going back. Managers just don’t like doing it unless they absolutely have to; it’s potentially disruptive to the defence.

Also, I really don’t rate Steele’s goalkeeping. He’s very much a second-choice keeper when it comes to this level.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Again, not disagreeing as such, but I think you have to allow for your goalkeeper to go through better/worse patches in the season.
When De Zerbi and Potter switched goalkeepers mid-season, it was because they felt there was a clearly better alternative available (in De Zerbi's case, specifically due to how he wanted the team to play). Not just because the other goalkeeper was in better form at the time.

Under Potter I was waiting for us to lineup with Gross in goal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not quite the same. In both cases Ryan and Sanchez had completely lost form. Once they’d been replaced as first-choice keeper there was no going back. Managers just don’t like doing it unless they absolutely have to; it’s potentially disruptive to the defence.

Also, I really don’t rate Steele’s goalkeeping. He’s very much a second-choice keeper when it comes to this level.

I look at the whole package including distribution, vital to any team playing a beautiful game. Steele’s distribution at any distance is exceptional. Like a fine wine, to me he’s a good PL keeper who’s clearly worked his gloves off to optimise the rest of his career.

With sulky Bob seemingly out of the picture, it made sense to get another keeper in. A meritocracy, may the best keeper win.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He's only 20 years old. He may well be our keeper of the future, rather than immediate.
We’re not spending 20m for a keeper of the future. We already have that in someone like Rushworth (although he’s older than Bart). Can’t see any way that Bart won’t be first choice starting the season.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We are going to be playing in 4 competitions and need credible cover should one get injured so I think we will see both featuring throughout the season

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's only 20 years old. He may well be our keeper of the future, rather than immediate.
A pure guess but I think the concept of “first choice” won’t have much mileage next season. We saw De Zerbi change starting players regularly at the end of the season due to injuries and tiredness and we’ll have to do the same again.

He even gave Sanchez the start at Wembley- ironically probably a mistake in hindsight as Steele would have been better at penalties

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We are going to be playing in 4 competitions and need credible cover should one get injured so I think we will see both featuring throughout the season
Exactly, and that points to (potentially, at least) two GKs playing a fair number of games. The initial plan might be GK A plays PL (and maybe one other cup) and GK B plays the cups and EL. GK A will be considered first choice, but that status could shift as the season develops, entirely dependent on the form each shows in the competitions.
If those primary two are Steele and Verbruggen, there's also the issue that Steele will probably be more amenable to being moved from first to second choice -- as he's benefited from such a policy of late, and has demonstrated for years that he's got a great attitude.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A pure guess but I think the concept of “first choice” won’t have much mileage next season. We saw De Zerbi change starting players regularly at the end of the season due to injuries and tiredness and we’ll have to do the same again.

He even gave Sanchez the start at Wembley- ironically probably a mistake in hindsight as Steele would have been better at penalties
It wouldn’t have got to penalties. Not a chance that JS saves the deflected Rashford shot.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This is just not true. Sanchez’ previous 4 games before he dropped one high ball at Selhurst, saw us win 3 (beaten only by a penalty at Everton, and clean sheets v Bournemouth and Liverpool) and draw 1.
Sanchez’ form was absolutely fine and there were zero Albion fans suggesting the change be made.

Steele was clearly training well and more receptive to RDZ’s ideas.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Not sure that Steele would have got us to penalties, Sanchez did well to keep a clean sheet for 2 hours.

Bringing Steele on for the penalties however...

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Being flexible of thinking, willing to change goalies mid season should one have a loss of form. Shirley a no-brainer?
Yes definitely. Even pep changed keepers around this season.

I agree that Steele will start but new guy will be told 'knock him off his perch' gives a challenge to both and a preference will emerge but keep another primed for games. There'll be enough games this season for both to play a fair few.

If all goes well you'd hope Steele is a Cup keeper by October/ November.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

With Steele we likely wouldn't have got to penalties.

Sanchez made multiple world class saves that game and was unbelievable. Unfortunately just couldn't save a pen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports