[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Jason Steele's short pass (between 5-15 yards) competition percentage in the league this season was 98.4%
His medium pass (between 15-30 yards) completion % was 97.3%
His Long pass (over 30 yards) completion % was 61.5%

However his passing is not his big issue. His Save percentage is just 61.4%
David Raya is 74.4%
Emiliano Martinez is 73.6%
Nick Pope is 75.8%

Bart Verbruggen is 85.2%. Even allowing for a weaker league, that's still impressive. (Although admittedly a small sample size of just 6 Europa Conference League matches.)

If the club have decided to pay €20m for him, it's a safe bet that he will be better than Jason Steele.

Right, so one key stat that does matter, not included in these meaningless graphs comparing some random numbers.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc

Perhaps an unfair comment on my part here, based on the difficulty of the saves and the selection of saves chosen for the short video.

But he seems to often parry the saves back into play rather than try to push them out of play, leading to chances for follow up shots. Suppose thats something that can be learned.

He looks an excellent young goalie in any case. Very exciting.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Perhaps an unfair comment on my part here, based on the difficulty of the saves and the selection of saves chosen for the short video.

But he seems to often parry the saves back into play rather than try to push them out of play, leading to chances for follow up shots. Suppose thats something that can be learned.

Prefer him to actually hold it, though they don’t seem to be taught that so much these days.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I wonder what Sanchez thinks about the last 24 hours, watching fellow Spanish keeper Simon's penalty shoot-out heroics win the Nations League for Spain, and Brighton move to sign one of Europe's hottest young keepers.
He's thinking..."dang...has anyone made an offer for me yet?"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Silly and pointless tweet / comparison - the keepers will prob rotate this season and the best in training will be selected also. To compare the Belgian league stats to the prem is pointless and just so so so ‘Twitter’ innit.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

As others have noted, from that very small selection he doesn't seem too confident in catching (though his aerial stat is apparently better than Steele's, height probably a factor there) nor in directing the ball away from action, but nobody's perfect obviously and he's young.

It's important for your goalkeeper especially to be confident and quick in going out 1v1 against the attacker like he's shown to be doing a couple times there in that clip, because your defense is always at a risk of being easily penetrated and he'll find himself as the sole protector more often than other keepers do.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Oh no, not another Wayne (I've been signed because my distribution is better than Michel) scenario, (hope nobody notices I keep parrying the ball to attackers and finding new ways to give away goals).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
KV Westerlo striker Tuur Dierckx told 90mins after playing in a goalless draw against Anderlecht and Verbruggen: “There was one player on the field who was two or three classes better than the rest. Verbruggen is not normal.”

“He will be among the top five in the world. And I mean that seriously. He has everything to become that. He plays as a number 10 from the back, his passing, that is also not normal. I was really impressed by Verbruggen.”

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeah, but aside from the video evidence, impressive stats and glowing praise, how do we know if he's any good?
As with every signing, we'll have to use the evidence of our eyes. Showreels are highly selective as can be quotes about the player designed to push up a value or interest other clubs.

I'm excited about this one as well, but trying to keep a lid on it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports