Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bart Verbruggen SINGS a 5-year deal

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
OK, but this is in the Juliper League.

Strikers hit it less hard. They press less hard.

This lad might come in as number one, but I would not be surprised to see Steele retained. He would have been another player of the season contender had his level of performance over the last few months been replicated over the full season.

Both I'm sure would play plenty of football, but i'm not sure which one would be in the league and which one in the cup at this stage
Steele has to start, he deserves that.
But, you could see Bart ending the season as our number one.
Important to remind everyone he is CRAZY young for a GK.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Means stats wise the only thing Steele does better is pass the ball long.
Obviously it's 'only' the Belgian league so that needs to be taken into consideration.
Most of the basic GK stats Bart far excels Steele at
Yes, but what do they actually mean?

What is a successful defensive action? What do those pass stats mean? What is an aerial duel?

How do they define those stats?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Means stats wise the only thing Steele does better is pass the ball long.
Obviously it's 'only' the Belgian league so that needs to be taken into consideration.
Most of the basic GK stats Bart far excels Steele at
Do they though? Half of those are random numbers.

Successful defensive actions - is that per ninety, in total? One has played more minutes than the other. What percentage of their defensive actions are successful? That's probably more important.

Prevented goals - again what is the metric here it seems to just be a total? Merely means one has faced more shots. But Steele is facing Man City et al when he has to make saves, the other guy is in Belgium.

I absolutely refuse to believe for a second that Steele's short pass completion percent is 30.3% so I presume that is what percentage of their distributions is of each type, not their success/quality so is an utterly meaningless statistic.

So, based on those numbers it isn't actually clear that Bart's a better GK at all.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Successful defensive actions - is that per ninety, in total? One has played more minutes than the other. What percentage of their defensive actions are successful? That's probably more important.

Prevented goals - again what is the metric here it seems to just be a total? Merely means one has faced more shots. But Steele is facing Man City et al when he has to make saves, the other guy is in Belgium.

I absolutely refuse to believe for a second that Steele's short pass completion percent is 30.3% so I presume that is what percentage of their distributions is of each type, not their success/quality so is an utterly meaningless statistic.

So, based on those numbers it isn't actually clear that Bart's a better GK at all.
It's percentiles Vs all other GKs in the major leagues.
In other words Verbruggen is the top 10% of GKs for prevented goals and Steele is in the bottom 20%.
Statistically the closest player to Bart is Alisson.
Obviously you make allowances for the difference in the league quality, but his stats are incredible.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What do those stats actually mean?
Means he is far better than Steele at the defensive/goalkeeping side of being a goalkeeper and about the same level as far as passing out from the back is concerned.

I would be very surpised if he doesn't become our Number 1 from the start.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Means he is far better than Steele at the defensive/goalkeeping side of being a goalkeeper and about the same level as far as passing out from the back is concerned.

I would be very surpised if he doesn't become our Number 1 from the start.
That's fantastic to hear. If true he'll be an incredible keeper for us.

What I'm after though is finding out what the individual stats mean? For example what constitutes a defensive action and what does the number next to it mean? I'm relatively clueless on every stat mentioned there.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

What I'm after though is finding out what the individual stats mean? For example what constitutes a defensive action and what does the number next to it mean? I'm relatively clueless on every stat mentioned there.
Defensive action is a bit of an ambiguous one to me as well. Guess would be that it's for when a ball is played through and the keeper needs to decide whether or not come out of his area and intercept or stay in his box and let the attacker have the first touch.

As far as numbers goes, it's his effective ranking, but with higher being better. E.g. he is 90.1 as far as preventing goals, which means as far as shot stopping is concerened, his stas would be the 10th best out 100 keepers.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

I know for an outfield player it is an interception, challenges, tackles and fouls.

I’m not sure if that changes for a goalkeeper though, so that’s not much use. :lolol:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Jason Steele's short pass (between 5-15 yards) competition percentage in the league this season was 98.4%
His medium pass (between 15-30 yards) completion % was 97.3%
His Long pass (over 30 yards) completion % was 61.5%

However his passing is not his big issue. His Save percentage is just 61.4%
David Raya is 74.4%
Emiliano Martinez is 73.6%
Nick Pope is 75.8%

Bart Verbruggen is 85.2%. Even allowing for a weaker league, that's still impressive. (Although admittedly a small sample size of just 6 Europa Conference League matches.)

If the club have decided to pay €20m for him, it's a safe bet that he will be better than Jason Steele.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
SEVENTEEN MILLION....?...?..?

• He's from the Dutch Belgian league so must be shitehouse.
  • He's not as tall as BDB.
  • Can he even play left back...?

OUT

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here