Barnes goal

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What. A. Peach.

Wish we had a player like that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As I remember it (and I could be wrong) Barnes got slated when he played as a left sided midfielder or as a lone striker - neither of which was he very good at.

however he was good at both, as lone striker he had to hold up the ball and provide for others, and as winger he was very decent giving forward momentum when we had posession (rather than the general crab like tendancy), cover on the wing and bite in midfield. he was critised for not getting 20 goals a season because he was a "striker", a few wayward chances missed (that no one else was ever near or would have created) and maybe fairly for some rash challenges.

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Ridiculous not to sign him up. Ash wanted to stay. Signing cog and baldock a joke by comparison. Sammi may not be great but the decision makers on signings were far worse.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ash represents everything we are missing in the current squad.

I really miss his passion and sheer grittiness.

Really pleased to see him doing well, another quality player we cast off without realising what part they played in the squad

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
however he was good at both, as lone striker he had to hold up the ball and provide for others, and as winger he was very decent giving forward momentum when we had posession (rather than the general crab like tendancy), cover on the wing and bite in midfield. he was critised for not getting 20 goals a season because he was a "striker", a few wayward chances missed (that no one else was ever near or would have created) and maybe fairly for some rash challenges.

He would die for the cause too and given his versatility he is just the type of player we are likely to have to pay a few million for in the January window to stand any chance of getting out of this mess.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Barnes is thriving on the standard of the Prem, it is making him a better player. I'd love to see Buckley do some of this and come on too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Never clapped the fans enough for me, nonexistent retweeting and very ordinary hair. Sunday League standard at best.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Bent has spent many years in the Premier League, played for England & his most recent transfer fee was £18 million, ffs.
We let Ash go halfway through a promotion campaign, with an injury decimated squad, to save possibly losing £750 poxy thousand

This and we lost the backbone of our squad in January, Barnes, Crofts, Abd - all battlers that we sorely missed for the remainder of the season.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Hang on, hang on. Some people are re-writing history here. I was one of the people that did not like Barnes for a while but NOTHING to do with ability. Many people took a dislike to his 2 red cards in the space of a few games, his utter stupidity at trying to kick a ref, diving frequently and moaning at the ref all the time.

Like me, many of the posters who had an annoyance with Barnes had no issues with his ability at all. Many called for him to be sold on following the ridiculous red card at Bolton which followed a red a few games earlier at Shef Weds.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
great goal
what sickens me is we sold him for peanuts, after offering him less than he was already earning, he had passion more so than all of the squad put togerther that we have now.
who in gods name let him go?
in fact who in gods name have let all the players we have lost in the last year go without even a whimper and then wonder why we are where we are without at least replacing them with like for like

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
its not fashionable to slate him, its fashionable to play him. it seems hes been played by everyone and we can all see he's sh1t. with barnes he would actually help the team, score goals and put a shift in. all jfc does is lose the ball, jump away from challenges and waste space. I don't think the hate they get from the fans is comparable in the slightest

I think you ought to read the ratings thread from yesterday, to see what happens when he plays in the right position.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hang on, hang on. Some people are re-writing history here. I was one of the people that did not like Barnes for a while but NOTHING to do with ability. Many people took a dislike to his 2 red cards in the space of a few games, his utter stupidity at trying to kick a ref, diving frequently and moaning at the ref all the time.

Like me, many of the posters who had an annoyance with Barnes had no issues with his ability at all. Many called for him to be sold on following the ridiculous red card at Bolton which followed a red a few games earlier at Shef Weds.

Really?

They were many blinkered posters who said he wouldn't make the step up to the Championship - and were proved wrong. Then he was top scorer here. Then he moved to a Premier League-bound club, and they said he wouldn't get a game and were proved wrong. Then they said he wouldn't do anything in the Premier League, and are being proved wrong.

'Barndoor Barnes' was the puerile nickname.

His petulance was infuriating, but people mistook that as a consideration on his ability and tenacity.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
"not a championship striker"
"he's ****"
"he's not good enough for us"
"I'm glad we sold him"
"he'll struggle to get games in the premier league"

Those people must be eating the most high quality humble pie at the moment.
We should've done more to keep him, he was great for us, but everyone has to have a ****ing scapegoat don't they... :(

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Really?

They were many blinkered posters who said he wouldn't make the step up to the Championship - and were proved wrong. Then he was top scorer here. Then he moved to a Premier League-bound club, and they said he wouldn't get a game and were proved wrong. Then they said he wouldn't do anything in the Premier League, and are being proved wrong.

'Barndoor Barnes' was the puerile nickname.

His petulance was infuriating, but people mistook that as a consideration on his ability and tenacity.

Fair point, maybe I am just trying to distance myself from those views.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Barnes is thriving on the standard of the Prem, it is making him a better player. I'd love to see Buckley do some of this and come on too.
Hang on there! Barnes was always being slagged off [harshly imo]. Buckley was rated but wanted out, and that was when Albion were pushing for promotion!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
What the Barnes saga shows me is how all our judgements about how good a player is are far too black and white .You need to factor in the position a player is asked to perform in, whether the system suits him, whether he feels valued and trusted by by the manager. It's only if all those things come together that you can see how good someone truly is.

Barnes has obviously got all that going on for him at Burnley - and I'm delighted for him. It could be that he was back here playing out on the left in a lone-striker system and he wouldn't look as good. Similarly everything obviously came together for O'Grady at Barnsely - none of it has come together for him here. Doesn't mean he's not a player with some ability.

Everytime someone on here writes, about ANY player, "He's shite, end of, get rid" they're just showing their own ignorance about how football works. IMO.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
What the Barnes saga shows me is how all our judgements about how good a player is are far too black and white .You need to factor in the position a player is asked to perform in, whether the system suits him, whether he feels valued and trusted by by the manager. It's only if all those things come together that you can see how good someone truly is.

Barnes has obviously got all that going on for him at Burnley - and I'm delighted for him. It could be that he was back here playing out on the left in a lone-striker system and he wouldn't look as good. Similarly everything obviously came together for O'Grady at Barnsely - none of it has come together for him here. Doesn't mean he's not a player with some ability.

Everytime someone on here writes, about ANY player, "He's shite, end of, get rid" they're just showing their own ignorance about how football works. IMO.

This is a good post. These factors, and others such as whether he's settled in the area, how his kids are getting on at school, wife's/girlfriend's happiness in area, relationships with team mates, respect from fans etc etc etc, all contribute towards how a player performs over a period of time in any given situation. This is the risk that all clubs take when, for example, buying in players who have previously performed well at another club. Two very good examples of this currently are Bournemouth and Brentford. Both appear to have created a unity and a desire among their players to play well individually and collectively for their respective clubs. Take any one of their players out of that specific environment and there is absolutely no guarantee that they will perform to the same level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here