Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banksy amusement park..?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Go on then. Please explain in the example I've given why Banksy's art is intrinsically more subversive than the Matt cartoon? That goes for Albumen too. I'm serious, I can genuinely see no difference between the two in the message they are trying to get across or how they choose to portray it.

Biscuit and Doc Lynam have done a much better job than I can be bothered to (or am even capable of doing) but, please, Matt is a fine cartoonist, but he's in The Telegraph (or is it The Mail?). Which just about says it all. I have memories of my first viewings of Banksy's art in London, which made me think that at least someone is intervening and reclaiming our streets from the infinitely inferior messages that billboards bombard at us.
He's good. In Britain, in my view, he's nowhere near as good as Deller or Perry, and worldwide, Keifer and Richter. This is just my view on a rather limited exposure to contemporary art.

On a related note, is the website still crashed, or am I now able to spend £9 on a day trip for the boy, the missus and myself?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Does his art corrupt the brand? Is it effective anti- propaganda? Not when you can walk into any of those remainder sale shops in Western Road and pick up a print of his work for a tenner alongside the iPoo t-shirts that spoof the iPod adverts.

I feel these products says more about the areas of society he is critiquing then anything he wishes to personnaly gain! I would imagine there are some battles with his work that would deminish his anonymity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This spat is highly amusing. It's the same standard spat which has been ongoing, in different guises, for centuries in the art world. So, there might not be much new about Banksy. But neither is there much new about this debate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Someone on Twitter described Banksy perfectly. He's the Hallmark Cards of rebellious art. Cheap puns packaged expensively.

And to think you called me grumpy yesterday :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ps for the record I find Banksy great fun. Not my favourite artist by a long way, but he's fun none the less.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
And to think you called me grumpy yesterday :lolol:

scope-art-fair-2014-02-1024x768.jpg

*It's a genuine Banksy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Biscuit and Doc Lynam have done a much better job than I can be bothered to (or am even capable of doing) but, please, Matt is a fine cartoonist, but he's in The Telegraph (or is it The Mail?). Which just about says it all. I have memories of my first viewings of Banksy's art in London, which made me think that at least someone is intervening and reclaiming our streets from the infinitely inferior messages that billboards bombard at us.
He's good. In Britain, in my view, he's nowhere near as good as Deller or Perry, and worldwide, Keifer and Richter. This is just my view on a rather limited exposure to contemporary art.

On a related note, is the website still crashed, or am I now able to spend £9 on a day trip for the boy, the missus and myself?

Deller is great. Seen a number of his exhibitions.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That he be. And something happened in Germany -- Berlin to be more precise -- last time I was there: there was a cracking Keifer exhibition.

I'll look out for this. I have seen a couple of things at the De Le Warr including Acid Brass. He also made a film about Bruce Lacey; saw this and there was a Q&A afterwards with Bruce and Jeremy which was quite interesting as Bruce wasn't entirely happy with the final film. And I managed to see Joy of People in London which was my favourite.

You mentioned Richter. My favourite piece of art is his Koln Dom window. https://www.gerhard-richter.com/en/art/other/glass-105/cologne-cathedral-window-14890/?p=1
Wonderful stuff. Affecting on so many levels I can, and have, stared at this for hours.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'll look out for this. I have seen a couple of things at the De Le Warr including Acid Brass. He also made a film about Bruce Lacey; saw this and there was a Q&A afterwards with Bruce and Jeremy which was quite interesting as Bruce wasn't entirely happy with the final film. And I managed to see Joy of People in London which was my favourite.

Yup. I've seen all of those.
RE Keifer: it was in 2006, so don't spend too much time looking (I'm always open to invitations to Berlin :roll eyes:) but, given his German, there's probably an over-representation of his material there. Do look out for him.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I like Massive Attack. And Portishead. And Tricky. And the new Tricky, aka Ghostpoet.

There's a strong Massive Attack/Banksy link. Banksy cites Rob Del Naja as a huge influence when he was starting out. At least we can agree on Tricky and Ghostpoet. Tricky is one of my all-time musical heroes.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's £3 to get in. You can wallow in Damien Hirst and Tracey Emin if you prefer.

Er... "As well as featuring 10 unseen works by Banksy himself, the exhibition will have pieces by over 50 British and international artists, including Damien Hirst"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yup. I've seen all of those.
RE Keifer: it was in 2006, so don't spend too much time looking (I'm always open to invitations to Berlin :roll eyes:) but, given his German, there's probably an over-representation of his material there. Do look out for him.

I've seen some of his work at Hamburger Bahnhof. He has a few pieces on permanent display there. I know his name but not overly familiar with his work, I'll investigate further. Thanks.

PS I added a bit about Richter to my earlier post after you'd copied it. I've seen a lot of his work in the UK, US and here.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Also shows James Cauty's work, Riot in a Jam Jar. Saw this a few years ago after a mate had helped with the painting and recommended it. Plus James is in KLF which is good enough for me to start with!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I give it an hour, before someone grafitti's it.

And not much longer than the first overnight from here on in before some estuary cheeky chappies have robbed as much of the artwork as they can have away in their white van.

Does sound like the best thing ever though. Certainly as far as Weston-Super-Mare is concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here