Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands who's first single was the best they ever did.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
They wrote stuff at that time (I think 'Show me, show me, show me' was on Wish?) that are GOOD pop songs. Friday, as you've correctly already pointed out, was so very clearly written, with the mindset 'Let's write a song to get Radio One airplay' rather than 'Let's write a GOOD song'.

No way José - FIIL is a corker. Definitely one of my favourite post-Disintegration songs, possibly THE favourite.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No way José - FIIL is a corker. Definitely one of my favourite post-Disintegration songs, possibly THE favourite.

Not often we disagree on musical STUFF. Not for me, though.

I don't think its a BAD track. I think its a bad CURE track. Its not what I want from them. That probably makes no sense, but it does to me.

Put it this way - if I were in an office or a shop being forced to listen to Radio One, and it came on, it would be a pleasant surprise, and I'd be glad to hear it.

If I were listening to a Cure collection and it came on, I might skip it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Not often we disagree on musical STUFF. Not for me, though.

I don't think its a BAD track. I think its a bad CURE track. Its not what I want from them. That probably makes no sense, but it does to me.

Put it this way - if I were in an office or a shop being forced to listen to Radio One, and it came on, it would be a pleasant surprise, and I'd be glad to hear it.

If I were listening to a Cure collection and it came on, I might skip it.

If I was listening to all Cure tracks on random shuffle, I would skip vast swathes of KMKMKM, a fair bit of The Top and just about everything after Disintegration. However, FIIL would send not just me but my whole family into spasms of joy - if I want catchy pop from The Cure, I don't go to Lovecats, I follow the guitars.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If I was listening to all Cure tracks on random shuffle, I would skip vast swathes of KMKMKM, a fair bit of The Top and just about everything after Disintegration. However, FIIL would send not just me but my whole family into spasms of joy - if I want catchy pop from The Cure, I don't go to Lovecats, I follow the guitars.

Well it definitely IS much better than LoveCats. That much we can all agree on!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought I was onto something with The Charlatans and The Only One I know.

It's a cracking track even though The Charlatans have released some brilliant singles.

But according to Wiki Indian Rope :shrug: charted at the dizzying heights of 89 before hand.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

It's a cracking track even though The Charlatans have released some brilliant singles.

But according to Wiki Indian Rope :shrug: charted at the dizzying heights of 89 before hand.

Glad you saved me there, I was going to suggest that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Glad you saved me there, I was going to suggest that.
The thing with The Charlatans is, as much as I love TOOIK, if anyone had piped up with any one of a half dozen tracks that are better, I'd have backed down.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Perhaps you would like to name the five issued before Roxanne, I only got Fall Out before the issue of Roxanne in April 1978, therefore looking forward to know the other four.

Apologies - just noticed Roxanne was originally released as their second single - my mistake

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

I've got the 12" of Indian Rope. It's rubbish. TOOIK is much better.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But there's 'nothing wrong with a bit of novelty pop'....
Nothing wrong with novelty pop indeed. That isn't the same as liking every novelty pop record ever made ;). It is about quality well written music regardless of genre. Love Cats is well written novelty pop imho. Love the bass line too.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Cant be arsed to look through 11 pages so this has probably been posted. The clash - White riot

Also,
Suede - The drowners
Libertines - What a waster
The Specials - Gangsters

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here