Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bands who's first single was the best they ever did.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Being slightly pedantic, does the OP mean the first single release being their best single release,

But if he means the first single is the best song that they've ever done, then i'm not playing anymore…!
I guess I mean best single release, probably :shrug:

If you want to do 'obscure album tracks and b-sides that were better than all the singles released by a band', then knock yourself out.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Being slightly pedantic, does the OP mean the first single release being their best single release, in which case i give you

But if he means the first single is the best song that they've ever done, then i'm not playing anymore…!

Ghost Town a better single views

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Very much this one. Absolutely cracking track from a group that were much more than a novelty band.

For me Daydream Believer was a better song. I went to an Indie all-dayer at Dingwalls in about '88, headlined by The Brilliant Corners. At the end of the show, the band finished and this track came on. It was a nigh on perfect ending.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How the Cure must wish they could UNWRITE Love Cats and Friday I'm in Love. How did such a great band produce such awful crap?

The Cure have the ability to write amazing pop songs like Love Cats and terrible terrible dross like Friday I'm in Love. That is what makes them the band they are.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Led Zeppelin never released a single in the UK.

Not strictly true. The re-release of Whole Lotta Love in the mid-late 90s was released here and charted at 20-something.

I hadn't realised that the thread was only UK singles - I thought it was simply a band's first single :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Cure have the ability to write amazing pop songs like Love Cats and terrible terrible dross like Friday I'm in Love. That is what makes them the band they are.

Obviously there are hundreds if not thousands of songs out there, by rubbish bands, that are far inferior, but I don't think there are a pair of songs that I dislike so much from a band that I actually really LIKE.

There are bands whose early output I did really like, but who then went a different (wrong) direction, but that's a slightly different situation. The Soup Dragons, for example, were a decent indie guitar band that I had a lot of time for, but who were dead to me the day they tried to jump on the baggy band-wagon and released 'I'm Free'.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Obviously there are hundreds if not thousands of songs out there, by rubbish bands, that are far inferior, but I don't think there are a pair of songs that I dislike so much from a band that I actually really LIKE.

There are bands whose early output I did really like, but who then went a different (wrong) direction, but that's a slightly different situation. The Soup Dragons, for example, were a decent indie guitar band that I had a lot of time for, but who were dead to me the day they tried to jump on the baggy band-wagon and released 'I'm Free'.
Agree with your sentiments re Friday I'm in love but I love Love Cats. Novelty pop yes but there is nothing wrong with that imho like.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree with your sentiments re Friday I'm in love but I love Love Cats. Novelty pop yes but there is nothing wrong with that imho like.

Did you love it when REM got Kate Pearson on board and released Shiny Happy Cocking People, as well?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I'm the opposite way round on those two. FIIL is a classic pop song. It's just a shame that Wish didn't overall reach the amazing heights of Disintegration though as an album.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm the opposite way round on those two. FIIL is a classic pop song. It's just a shame that Wish didn't overall reach the amazing heights of Disintegration though as an album.

They wrote stuff at that time (I think 'Show me, show me, show me' was on Wish?) that are GOOD pop songs. Friday, as you've correctly already pointed out, was so very clearly written, with the mindset 'Let's write a song to get Radio One airplay' rather than 'Let's write a GOOD song'.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They wrote stuff at that time (I think 'Show me, show me, show me' was on Wish?) that are GOOD pop songs. Friday, as you've correctly already pointed out, was so very clearly written, with the mindset 'Let's write a song to get Radio One airplay' rather than 'Let's write a GOOD song'.

Yup. Putting Cure albums into a preferred order could take up a whole day I suspect (and live albums don't count!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here