Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Band(s) you wished you had seen but never will, and band(s) you saw and wished you hadn't!

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
A friend emailed me for my ultimate festival line up. He gave me the timeslots and so here’s what I told him:

It has to be subjective - I'm not compromising so some jazz fan can get their rocks off to Billy Holiday.

1pm Elvis Presley 57

3pm The Who 73

5pm Jimi Hendrix 68

7pm Faces 74

9pm Rolling Stones 72

11pm Sex Pistols 77

Apologies to the Jam, Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Roxy Music, Funkadelic, Beatles, Can, Smiths, Joy Division, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, James Brown, Kraftwerk, Little Richard, Robert Johnson, Iggy and the Stooges, Velvets, Love, Chic, Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, Nick Drake, the Pogues, Bowie, Byrds, Beach Boys, T Rex, Pixies, Birthday Party etc etc ...

all of whom were good 'turns'.

I was conscious of the lack of laydeez but couldn't think of anyone that would cut it live compared with my choices. The seventies were well and truly the golden age for popular music. Absolutely no contest - so the bulk of my choices come from that era. Modern music is relatively poor in general. I think I make more effort than most to keep up to date but there is no question that standards have declined, probably because people are less interested and it's more difficult to be original.

boik

Wish I'd seen: Can, The Undertones.

Wish I'd missed: Simply Red (went with a girl, thought I could tough it out, had to run to the bar) Badly Drawn Boy (anyone who was at At The Edge of the Sea when he played will know what I mean).

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Wish I'd seen Talk Talk, they are by miles my biggest regret.

Wish i hadn't seen Snow Patrol, all that lighter in the air "nice" rock isn't for me.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Whilst I still have yet to see The Stones or Pearl Jam, there is a chance I still can, so I will say Nirvana. Friends of mine were following their first tour and were raving about them and I just never got round to seeing them, sadly it is now too late.

One of the biggest disappointments for me was seeing The Specials at Glastonbury in 2010 (it was sunny so I guess it was that year). I was really looking forward to them but they just didn't do it for me at all, really flat. I know it's probably not the best place to judge them but I was underwhelmed.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Would love to have seen Pink Floyd circa 1975.

I went to see The Damned at The Assembly Halls in Worthing around 1996 or so and it was the worst concert I have ever been to (we'd been given the tickets free). We went backstage afterwards and tried to get them to come to the punk night at The Factory but they declined :( Dave Vanian is really tiny as well, which I never knew.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wished I'd seen The Allman Brothers which leads me on to
Wished I hadn't - Dicky Betts (of the Allman Brothers)
Went to the blues festival in Tampa Bay and was excited to see Dicky Betts - as my mate said "To be in the same location with the bloke that wrote "Jessica" will be a privilege"
Unfortunately Mr Betts had quaffed rather too much falling down water and was dreadful.

I saw the Allman Brothers at the first Knebworth in 1974(?). But it was without Duane, obviously. So mine would be to have seen them before Duane died.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Wish I'd seen - Bob Marley, Queen

Wish I hadn't - Ian Brown (Solo) as a Roses fan it was very very disappointing.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Wished I seen: Porcupine Tree (although still possible if they reform)
Wished I hadnt: Lenny Kravitz, Red Hot Chili Peppers

My other "wished I seen" from a similar thread last year was Guns N Roses, but that will be corrected in June.:rock:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Wish I saw Oasis.

Haven't been to a huge amount of gigs so I don't have any I regret going to.

If it's any consolation, when I saw Oasis there were lots of lads strutting around looking for trouble and morons were chucking cups of p1ss at people. One of the most scum bag crowds I've ever come across.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Wish - Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars

Regret - Buzzcocks

Oh.....sooo glad I did - Bob Marley & The Wailers

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
If it's any consolation, when I saw Oasis there were lots of lads strutting around looking for trouble and morons were chucking cups of p1ss at people. One of the most scum bag crowds I've ever come across.

Funny you say that, a mate from work went to the last gig they did and who is, by no means what so ever a "lad" and he said the crowd was great.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Wish - Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders from Mars

Regret - Buzzcocks

Oh.....sooo glad I did - Bob Marley & The Wailers

When did you see Buzzcocks. I saw them for first time last year and sort of wish I never bothered. Two days later find they are headlining wettest next year, for which I have tickets.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I would have liked to have seen:
Jimi Hendrix Experience / MC5 / joy division / nirvana

I walked out of a Frank Zappa concert in late 70s ... what a creep he was (imho)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I went to see The Damned at The Assembly Halls in Worthing around 1996 or so.

Wow, I had no idea The Damned were still playing even in 1996, so I just looked around online - and the buggers have a gig in Hong Kong next month! I honestly thought they'd retired like 25 years ago...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wished I seen: Porcupine Tree (although still possible if they reform)
Wished I hadnt: Lenny Kravitz, Red Hot Chili Peppers

My other "wished I seen" from a similar thread last year was Guns N Roses, but that will be corrected in June.:rock:

Lenny Krap-hits

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
similar thing happened at a Jazz Butcher gig I went to in the late 80s. Jazz Butcher then stepped off the stage, walked around the sparsely populated union being weird before someone smacked him. Think the show lasted about 5 songs.

Is that sort of indie, weird Rock'n'Roll type band that got lumped into a few psychobilly compilations and gigs as support in the mid 80s... Never got them, or what they were supposed to be or what sound they were going for... Very odd band.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Wish - Jimmy Driftwood country / folk singer & The Monks USA 60s garage band of former service men based in Germany.

Wish I had not bothered - Housemartins and Jools Holland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here