Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Band(s) you wished you had seen but never will, and band(s) you saw and wished you hadn't!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
An ex girlfriend I used to live with told me she had bought tickets for the Spice Girls, i said I hoped she would enjoy the show, she said I've also got one for you. :eek:
She was very disappointed when I told her I wasn't going. FFS

That's a whole other thread - gigs where quite clearly you are the chaperone and stand out like a sore thumb. Lady Gaga for me. Took an ex to see her as a birthday present, got standing tickets and pretty much everyone else there were either 14 year old girls or very gay men trying their hardest to out-gay each other.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's a whole other thread - gigs where quite clearly you are the chaperone and stand out like a sore thumb. Lady Gaga for me. Took an ex to see her as a birthday present, got standing tickets and pretty much everyone else there were either 14 year old girls or very gay men trying their hardest to out-gay each other.

:lolol: Nothing to add to that!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
didn't really appreciate Ray Davies getting all snidey about students at a students' union gig!

similar thing happened at a Jazz Butcher gig I went to in the late 80s. Jazz Butcher then stepped off the stage, walked around the sparsely populated union being weird before someone smacked him. Think the show lasted about 5 songs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Boring I know, but I wish I'd seen The Beatles. I saw The Stones with Mick Taylor in the early 70's and they reached heights they never could again once Woody, the luckiest guitarist alive, took his place.
I wish I'd never seen the twin guitars of Argus period Wishbone Ash and whilst Argent wasn't a bad gig, the chorus of 'Hold your head up' is a recurring nightmarish earworm.

My mate Bob the social work saw the Beatles more than 20 times, including the gig at the Cavern where they all had new suits and kit, and everyone knew that would be the last they'd see of them.

The twin guitars of Wishbone Ash at the Dome is a great memory of mine, and coincidentally I was listening to Live Dates on the way back from the Cardiff game.

For me the gig I really wish I'd seen was Bowie at the Dome. The one I saw but wish I hadn't was Elton John at Wembley (albeit the support acts, which included the Eagles and the Beach Boys made up for it). Oh, Golden Earring, Dome, was another I walked out of (but I went for the support act - Lynyrd Skynyrd version 1.0).

Cheers!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
similar thing happened at a Jazz Butcher gig I went to in the late 80s. Jazz Butcher then stepped off the stage, walked around the sparsely populated union being weird before someone smacked him. Think the show lasted about 5 songs.

At the time, as a naïve eighteen year old first year undergraduate, I was very sensitive about anyone taking the piss!

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Wish I'd seen Hendrix, Sandy Denny, Taste and Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green incarnation). I saw the Buckingham / Nicks line up at The Finsbury park rainbow. Regretted seeing Gilmour (latest material is rubbish) last year at the centre, King Crimson (pretentious crap). The Who / James gang at Falmer uni refectory in 1970. I was standing at the back and could only see Townshend's arm a few times, when he did 'windmills'. Does that count as actually seeing a band?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
My mate Bob the social work saw the Beatles more than 20 times, including the gig at the Cavern where they all had new suits and kit, and everyone knew that would be the last they'd see of them.

The twin guitars of Wishbone Ash at the Dome is a great memory of mine, and coincidentally I was listening to Live Dates on the way back from the Cardiff game.

For me the gig I really wish I'd seen was Bowie at the Dome. The one I saw but wish I hadn't was Elton John at Wembley (albeit the support acts, which included the Eagles and the Beach Boys made up for it). Oh, Golden Earring, Dome, was another I walked out of (but I went for the support act - Lynyrd Skynyrd version 1.0).

Cheers!

I saw Bowie at The Dome. The Groundhogs were also on the bill that evening. I have a feeling that Bowie was the support act ?!! I was also at The Golden Earring / Lynryrd Skynyrd gig. Happy days!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I always wish I had the chance to see the original Yes and Chuck Berry.

I have been most fortunate in my life to see some great bands and individuals like Marley, madonna, michael Jackson, most of the really good punk and ska bands and out of the ordinary bands like kraftwerk, tangerine dream, Lou reed and bizzare concerts like James brown, Adam nad the ants, frankie goes to hollywood and dr Feelgood. My favourite concerts number Genesis, black sabbath , Lynard Skynard and rainbow.

Only saw Genesis of your faves, supported by Lindisfarne and Audience on the Famous Charisma Roadshow at The Dome. But I did see the original Yes at The Dome and Chuck Berry with a pick up band sometime in the early seventies in London. I feel privileged now!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Reading the threat to date, I seem to have been lucky as I have seen lots of bands that posters wish they had seen.

Not seen, any of the 50s greats, Buddy, Elvis, Chuck and more recent Bob Seger, Led Zeppelin

Wish I hadn't UB40 supporting the Pretenders, I just thought UB40 were just c**p, and Bad Company on one of the reunion tours, the set list was very short and while the music was good just felt cheated and left with a feeling that the band just took the gig as whats the shortest set we can get away with.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Another disappointing act that springs to mind was Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. It was at the Concorde which wasn't the best venue for their style but sadly her voice isn't a patch on what it used to be and it was rather sad to hear her struggle.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Would have said Black Sabbath but just got home from O2 so ticked that off my list. So it must be Nirvana - had tickets for Brixton Academy just before Kurt committed suicide. For wish I hadn't must be Fish at Concorde2 a couple of years ago it ruined the memory of great gigs from 80s/early90s.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Like Norman I wish I'd seen Dr Feelgood in the Wilko days. Also would loved to have seen Howlin' Wolf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here