Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Ban gangsta rap as offensive to many people ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This has to be the single most disturbing quote in this entire thread.
You have my deepest sympathies, and I hope your family pull through these difficult and trying times together, remember........

Never gonna.....

Not only that, a classic opportunity for a Rick Roll missed (though NSC would probably convert to a video preview anyway, so as you were)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You have my deepest sympathies, and I hope your family pull through these difficult and trying times together, remember........

Never gonna.....

Not only that, a classic opportunity for a Rick Roll missed (though NSC would probably convert to a video preview anyway, so as you were)

I've heard that it's been banned nowadays- article here https://tinyurl.com/2fcpre6

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes indeed.

There are very few genres of music that I'd write off completely as "I don't like that" as you never know. I might eventually find a freeform Jazz or death metal track that I actually think is good, who knows?

I don't like anything done by the truly awful Franz Ferdinand or The 1975, but lots of people do (for some reason) so I'd never consider the idea that they should be banned, just because they're not to my taste. One of my best mates has brilliant taste in music and we talk about it loads and introduce each other to different stuff. But she LOVES The 1975. We will never agree on that, despite agreeing on virtually everything else. Listening to them makes her happy whereas it makes me want to smash things. It doesn't matter though.

What stupid people like the OP don't get (or they do but choose to ignore) is that there will be plenty of things that THEY really like but which lots of other people find really offensive and would be happy if they were banned.

Like Priti Patel for example.

But censorship is bad, pointless and counter productive. Even if you don't like some music, film, writing, it'll still be there.......

Indeed.

And it is easy enough to (put on) ignore :wink:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Never gonna.....

I remember thinking at the time it was released "Well at least this shit will be forgotten in a few months"

see also Barbie Girl

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I have far too much respect for you people to do that.

I am suffering so you don't have to.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Sounds good!

Dismissing a multitude of rap styles in this way suggests you're not too familiar with the genre, which is understandable as you're not a fan. The rhythm, metre and melody separate it from normal speech, not to mention rhyme, assonance and alliteration. Talking over music would describe someone like Baxter Dury (very much not a rapper).

Here's a song for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2SkqW-VGA You may well not like it but it's certainly not aggressive ranting.

I gave it a listen and yes it wasn't ranting, even a bit of sax in threre.
I get that the point is to listen to what is being said, though it is tough with the monotone backing/sample track going on and on.
The constant repetetiveness of this makes it hard to listen to and to the musical ear it is quite annoying.
It can sound rather like someone reading out a shopping list, devoid of tones and colour.
I have no problem with others personal choice, but for me it lacks enough musical creativity to keep it consistently intetesting.
I wouldn't want it banned as it is still a form of expression and an outlet for a generation.
I was probably born too late.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I gave it a listen and yes it wasn't ranting, even a bit of sax in threre.
I get that the point is to listen to what is being said, though it is tough with the monotone backing/sample track going on and on.
The constant repetetiveness of this makes it hard to listen to and to the musical ear it is quite annoying.
It can sound rather like someone reading out a shopping list, devoid of tones and colour.
I have no problem with others personal choice, but for me it lacks enough musical creativity to keep it consistently intetesting.
I wouldn't want it banned as it is still a form of expression and an outlet for a generation.
I was probably born too late.

Sure, that track has a pretty chilled, minimalist beat, designed as a backdrop for the MCs. There's plenty of hip hop with richer production, both elctronic and with instruments.

Maybe you'll appreciate the sax on this one (clean version so no swearing or n-word :cool:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOGA0HUXFlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhGCqRzweVw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here