Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Ban gangsta rap as offensive to many people ?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I like rap music, gangsta rap, hardcore, underground, east coast, west coast, dirty south, french rap, g-funk and mostly find myself listening to trap now.
I don't like drill music (quite right it gets removed from youtube in my opinion) or raggaeton or anything with puff peedy diddy on.

Whether drill music should be banned on youtube is actually an infinitely better debate than whatever the f*ck this thread has become.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whilst we appear to be in the full media glare of banning or taking down statues that are offensive to many members of the black community , is it fair and reasonable to also take the opportunity to consider banning some gangsta rap music & some grime ‘ sounds’ that are also offensive to many other people because of the way some ( not all ) depict violence and are degrading to women and sometimes other minorities like the gay community etc ?

I hope you warmed up because comparing the banning of a genre of music you don’t like to the removal of statues of slave owners is a bit of a stretch.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Rap shit, hiphop great [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thread title and the the OPs point is about Gansta Rap.
OP is shot down in flames by many on here before I raised my ugly head.
Me- " Quite amusing when the ' down with the kids ' middle aged and middle class men start defending Gangsta Rap.[emoji38]ol:[emoji38]ol:
Never a dull moment on NSC:D
You - Not impressed, hissy fit ( says someone else )

Me trots over to Mr Google to see what he has to say about the type of rap music being defended by middle aged, middle class and I'm guessing white English men.

Top searches for Gangsta Rap meaning.

" A type of Rap music that is about life in the poor parts of cities, especially violence and drugs "

"A sub genre of Rap music focus mainly on organised crime, prostitutes ( referred to in Gangsta Rap as "Hoes"), drugs and life in the slums of the US."

"A style of Rap music characterised by lyrics about black street gangs in the US, often with violent and misogynistic themes"

And so on, and so on, from the Google search.

Now I'm not sure why you have the hump with me taking the piss out of posters DEFENDING music with this message.

Hope this helps.
Why lie about what actually happened on this thread when all the evidence is still there?

It's almost impossible to comprehend this level of stupidity. And yet, you continue......

I'm just sitting back, enjoying a nice glass of Cote Du Rhone while you tie yourself in knots of anger, thickness and bile. It can't be much fun, but carry on if you like. [emoji23]

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why lie about what actually happened on this thread when all the evidence is still there?

It's almost impossible to comprehend this level of stupidity. And yet, you continue......

I'm just sitting back, enjoying a nice glass of Cote Du Rhone while you tie yourself in knots of anger, thickness and bile. It can't be much fun, but carry on if you like. [emoji23]

Lie about what, point out what you are banging on about now?

Knots of anger, thickness and bile?
No, none of that either, you seemed to want an explanation and I've tried.

You think you're the intelligent one though putting me down, you also don't seem to be able to reply without some sort of personal insults.
I know I'm not educated but I haven't come back with personal abuse aimed at you, but I have thought when I read your posts that you think you are some sort of hard man, maybe your heroes are 'Gangsta Rappers' ???

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lie about what, point out what you are banging on about now?

Knots of anger, thickness and bile?
No, none of that either, you seemed to want an explanation and I've tried.

You think you're the intelligent one though putting me down, you also don't seem to be able to reply without some sort of personal insults.
I know I'm not educated but I haven't come back with personal abuse aimed at you, but I have thought when I read your posts that you think you are some sort of hard man, maybe your heroes are 'Gangsta Rappers' ???
It's all there in black and white (or whichever colour anyone chooses to use).

I've tried really hard to make my points simple and to stay nice. But you make it very, very difficult.

But anyway, I'm never after a fight and I hope you can reread the thread, have a think about the points raised and stop doing the "have a go and then try to be a victim" thing.

Take care and let's hope we can enjoy some sport soon.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's all there in black and white (or whichever colour anyone chooses to use).

I've tried really hard to make my points simple and to stay nice. But you make it very, very difficult.

But anyway, I'm never after a fight and I hope you can reread the thread, have a think about the points raised and stop doing the "have a go and then try to be a victim" thing.

Take care and let's hope we can enjoy some sport soon.

No drama, it's been a good game of verbal tennis :D
You take care too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Britain was involved in the slave trade. Not good - I take no pride in that. I do take pride in the role that we eventually adopted (better late than never), that it was wrong and we went all out to stop it. Now, gang culture - knife culture, gun culture, whatever - is part of the landscape in London and some of our other big cities; that doesn't make me proud of being British. I hate and deplore it. Violent and misogynistic. Music that endorses it - and even celebrates or glorifies it - is as unwelcome, unwholesome and unacceptable as the Horst Wessel song.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Britain was involved in the slave trade. Not good - I take no pride in that. I do take pride in the role that we eventually adopted (better late than never), that it was wrong and we went all out to stop it. Now, gang culture - knife culture, gun culture, whatever - is part of the landscape in London and some of our other big cities; that doesn't make me proud of being British. I hate and deplore it. Violent and misogynistic. Music that endorses it - and even celebrates or glorifies it - is as unwelcome, unwholesome and unacceptable as the Horst Wessel song.

My enjoyment of gangsta rap doesn't really move beyond Dre's beats. However I think that Straight Outta Compton is one of the best albums ever released. I also enjoyed the film, notably pertinent to this discussion is the part where they are accused of glorifying violence and gang culture. Ice Cube eloquently (probably far more eloquently than in real life) explains that he is just rapping about what he sees out of his front door in Compton. Interestingly the film depicts NWA calling their new kind of rap style 'Reality Rap'

The discussion on life imitating art and art imitating life can go round and round, my conclusion is that they work by influencing each other as they twist and turn. The point is that this is music that reflects people's lives, I somewhat glibly posted NWA's 'Express Yourself' earlier on this thread as a nod to this idea. I fully encourage all to express themselves without censorship. We don't have to listen to it (and indeed I don't listen to much of the violence and misogyny) but if that is people's reality then I say we let them express it.

As a side to this my 13 year old daughter put on a hip hop track with lots of "bitches etc' in it while we were in the car. It gave us an opportunity to talk about respect, especially toward women and lyrical content (she told me she didn't really listen to the words). Overall I think it was a positive experience for us and she chose to take the track off her playlist.

My 15 year old boy, seems utterly obsessed with Rick Aslty's 'Never Gonna Give You Up' at the moment. Now this may have been SAW expressing themselves and their surroundings also but I find this wholly more offensive than NWA. :lolol:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Fair enough if you're not a fan but to say it's not music is just a bit silly.

What kind of music do your band play btw?

Talking and ranting aggressively to music.
We play a variety of styles and genres, we play originals as well as covers.
It is all originals at muso club nights for our mini legion of supporters.
When we play gigs we get away with one original in every 4 covers played.
We just play what we want, not just one style and seem to get away with it.
We mix things up too, like playing Black Magic Woman in the Santana style with the lead guitar part done on a clarinet, it works well as guitar leads are great on a clarinet, easy to pick and unusual.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My 15 year old boy, seems utterly obsessed with Rick Aslty's 'Never Gonna Give You Up' at the moment.

This has to be the single most disturbing quote in this entire thread.
You have my deepest sympathies, and I hope your family pull through these difficult and trying times together, remember........

Never gonna.....

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I was listening to a lady on the radio last week who was outraged that black youths are stopped more my police (stop and search etc) and how black youths were victimised, later n the same program with the same women she stated rap( grime in particular) should be recognised as "Black music" and a part of Black Culture, the same music that talk abiut "shanking", gangs, drugs and abuse to women. Make your mind up

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I agree with you about lyrical content. But there are several other genres of music where some 'artists' lyrical content is reprehensible, and I simply give the indivual artists or tracks I dislike a swerve.

There are some on this thread who are not objecting to the lyrical content as such, but the noise. Others are also conflating this with the adocacy of misogeny and murder.

And of course the OP is attempting to conflate gangsterism and shit music as if it is a defining characteristic of blackness. Which is why he's got pelters.

Reminds me of the 'punk rock is just a racket and they want to destro society' bollocks back in the 70s, with added 'darkies' :shrug:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We play a variety of styles and genres, we play originals as well as covers.
It is all originals at muso club nights for our mini legion of supporters.
When we play gigs we get away with one original in every 4 covers played.
We just play what we want, not just one style and seem to get away with it.
We mix things up too, like playing Black Magic Woman in the Santana style with the lead guitar part done on a clarinet, it works well as guitar leads are great on a clarinet, easy to pick and unusual.

Sounds good!

Talking and ranting aggressively to music.

Dismissing a multitude of rap styles in this way suggests you're not too familiar with the genre, which is understandable as you're not a fan. The rhythm, metre and melody separate it from normal speech, not to mention rhyme, assonance and alliteration. Talking over music would describe someone like Baxter Dury (very much not a rapper).

Here's a song for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2SkqW-VGA You may well not like it but it's certainly not aggressive ranting.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I agree with you about lyrical content. But there are several other genres of music where some 'artists' lyrical content is reprehensible, and I simply give the indivual artists or tracks I dislike a swerve.

There are some on this thread who are not objecting to the lyrical content as such, but the noise. Others are also conflating this with the adocacy of misogeny and murder.

And of course the OP is attempting to conflate gangsterism and shit music as if it is a defining characteristic of blackness. Which is why he's got pelters.

Reminds me of the 'punk rock is just a racket and they want to destro society' bollocks back in the 70s, with added 'darkies' :shrug:

Yes indeed.

There are very few genres of music that I'd write off completely as "I don't like that" as you never know. I might eventually find a freeform Jazz or death metal track that I actually think is good, who knows?

I don't like anything done by the truly awful Franz Ferdinand or The 1975, but lots of people do (for some reason) so I'd never consider the idea that they should be banned, just because they're not to my taste. One of my best mates has brilliant taste in music and we talk about it loads and introduce each other to different stuff. But she LOVES The 1975. We will never agree on that, despite agreeing on virtually everything else. Listening to them makes her happy whereas it makes me want to smash things. It doesn't matter though.

What stupid people like the OP don't get (or they do but choose to ignore) is that there will be plenty of things that THEY really like but which lots of other people find really offensive and would be happy if they were banned.

Like Priti Patel for example.

But censorship is bad, pointless and counter productive. Even if you don't like some music, film, writing, it'll still be there.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here