Baldock: Happy or unhappy??

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Hmmm...

Baldock Unhappy - The Argus, 05:00 Tuesday 24 February 2015
Baldock Perfectly Happy - The Argus, 08:00 Tuesday 24 February 2015

The club have got wind of the negative story, and quickly rushed out a denial with their own spin on things. Basic PR/Spin.

Aug 1, 2006
Hmmm...

The club have got wind of the negative story, and quickly rushed out a denial with their own spin on things. Basic PR/Spin.

It does look like it doesn't it. But also the player really does appear to be in two minds. I like the idea of playing the same team as Saturday but with COG in for Best (unlikely to happen) which would be a popular and probably deserved move. Then Baldock has the chance to play as winger some of the time which he appears good at, and second center forward some of the time playing of Chris, which we know he is good at.

I reckon he may still score lots of goals for us this season in this manner except that if it works of course he will be marked more carefully than he is currently.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
No centre forward wants to play out wide, Welbeck also famously whinges about it. Like Baldock though, he does [seem to?] give his all when played out of position and you can't really ask any more of him than that.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Waste of money. Thanks Burke.

Utterly pointless signing. Osacar didnt want him as he had left by then. Sami didnt want him because he hadnt joined by then but Burke persued him all summer.

He scored goals in L1. So did CMS. Also he scored in a 2 up front with a big man next to him. So did CMS.

Ok Ballsacks touch is better than CMS but players like Baldrick are two a penny (run around a bit, bit of skill, misses chances) but Bristol City got TWO MILLION quid. Come on. Thanks Burke. No wonder you were (rightly) sacked.

Totally agree - why do we sign a small centre forward when we NEVER play 2 upfront!!! - totally ridiculous signing and when he did play under Sami upfront on his own he looked hopeless and lost, We could have spent that 1.5m on a big strong centre forward who holds the ball up and scores goals (Not COG btw!)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Well, if I was Mr Baldock I would be very happy. However, I imagine Mrs Baldock might be more than a tad disappointed when I came home from training wearing my FOS body....:smile:

Shipley8312

Aug 12, 2014
it half sounded like he wants a move to leeds lol

i dont think he is happy but he is doing a good job for the team in a new position

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Waste of money. Thanks Burke.

Utterly pointless signing. Osacar didnt want him as he had left by then. Sami didnt want him because he hadnt joined by then but Burke persued him all summer.

He scored goals in L1. So did CMS. Also he scored in a 2 up front with a big man next to him. So did CMS.

Ok Ballsacks touch is better than CMS but players like Baldrick are two a penny (run around a bit, bit of skill, misses chances) but Bristol City got TWO MILLION quid. Come on. Thanks Burke. No wonder you were (rightly) sacked.

I'm normally one to try and defend Burke but when you put it like that it's hard to defend. Especially when we'd made the same ****ing mistake on CMS 3 years prior.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Hmmm...

There really is not much to spin. If you watch his press conference there is absolutely nothing in it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm normally one to try and defend Burke but when you put it like that it's hard to defend. Especially when we'd made the same ****ing mistake on CMS 3 years prior.

I do not understand how you can try and defend Burke given that almost all of his summer signings are out of the door already or not favoured.

Paddy - on loan
Colunga - on loan
Toko - released
Holla - very lackluster, features rarely since arrival of Kayal
COG - very lackluster, featured rarely since arrival of Best (admittedly unfairly IMO)
Hughes - barely featured but admittedly essential backup
Stockdale - fairly criticised for some of his performances but I think he will come good
Baldock - very lackluster, although it is a case of not playing a striker to suit his ability

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I imagine he's probably frustrated as much as anything else.

He's used to playing as a striker and scoring goals then we signed him and stuck him out wide

I reckon he is a professional footballer who should learn to adapt. Whilst we can question why he is playing out on the left, it is up to him to make the most of it.

For what it is worth, I think he is happy. He didn't say (or was quoted as saying) anything particularly negative in the Argus story.

Combine these and I think you probably have the truth of it.
He is and always has been a goalscorer playing off a target man. If we choose to play him where he no longer gets the ratio of scoring chances that is down to us.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
He's happy with the money or he wouldn't have come.

He's unhappy with the erosion of his reputation as a goalscorer and therefore worried that it will affect the size of his next contract.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Given our midfield which has been pretty ropey for most of the season there is no point in playing two up front. We would have been shot to pieces. In fact the support front guy would have spent most of the time coming back into midfield anyway.

It seems a choice really of either the second forward dropping deep into midfield to give some strength there or starting out wide and floating into the centre to find space when we are actually attacking. Starting out wide seems to be working reasonably at the moment and it is the way that Poyet utilised Barnes for much of the time in the Championship.

Given the overall lack of quality in our defence and midfield, together with our league position, we need the one up top formation and players who will fight and compete. Hence Holla and JFC have rather disappeared under CH and Paddy has never been seen.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He's happy with the money or he wouldn't have come.

He's unhappy with the erosion of his reputation as a goalscorer and therefore worried that it will affect the size of his next contract.
Yep, whilst reminding everyone who cares to listen that it's not my fault guv'nor, that I haven't been scoring.

Red Marauder

Feb 15, 2012
I took my boy down to get some of the Brighton player's autographs after the Arsenal game. Sam came over and signed autographs for the kids that were waiting. Whilst he was doing that some lads were singing "he plays down the left .... he plays down the right..." at him. He asked if they would sing a song about he him playing through the middle. It sounded to me at the time he's not happy out wide.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
With Best not starting against Leeds and being replaced by Mackail Smith, presume Baldock will get the chance to play the lone striker role tonight. Will be interesting to see if he takes the opportunity to stake a claim for it on a long term basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here