Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock credited with goal today

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So from this thread we can deduce that this season's scapegoat is Baldock.

Why the **** do people see the need to single one player out. The one player who, whilst not scoring as many as he and we would have liked was a crucial part of the joint highest scoring team last season.

Unbelievable.

Bong's running him close on the scapegoat front.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So from this thread we can deduce that this season's scapegoat is Baldock.

Why the **** do people see the need to single one player out. The one player who, whilst not scoring as many as he and we would have liked was a crucial part of the joint highest scoring team last season.

Unbelievable.
It's not a case of finding a scapegoat. He simply isn't good enough or can't we discuss that on a football forum site?

I thought arguing with Palace fans about pointless shit all day long was more your thing these days Gromble ? That's what you prefer isn't it?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I thought arguing with Palace fans about pointless shit all day long was more your thing these days Gromble ? That's what you prefer isn't it?

If i see stupidity, I'll argue against it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Likewise

4 goals in a season

Plus assists. That still doesn't explain why the whole situation is down to SB and not anyone else - gone are the days when strikers are there just to score goals.

Also, if we are going to hold his record last season under scrutiny, then he's well on his way to surpass that total already so why not let him prove people wrong? Why do to him what people have done to Barnes?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Plus assists. That still doesn't explain why the whole situation is down to SB and not anyone else - gone are the days when strikers are there just to score goals.

Also, if we are going to hold his record last season under scrutiny, then he's well on his way to surpass that total already so why not let him prove people wrong? Why do to him what people have done to Barnes?

I'm thinking more of CMS. Both him and Baldock are likable players but sadly both are not good enough at this level. I would probably keep Sam but make him 4th choice. If a reasonable offer came him then i would cash in. No way we would get our money back though.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
4 goals last year and never looks like scoring.

Come back in May with his stats.

So you will get behind him and support him until May and give him a chance rather than write him off?

There are plenty of examples where a player has had an unproductive season one season followed by a very productive one the following season

Are we supposed to ignore his other contributions when judging a player too or are we going to be blind to his overall contribution and concentrate on just his goals scored stats? What if we are the divisions top scorers, he created a lot of those goals,(including crucial ones that win games) we win the league at a gallop with him playing a key role but doesn't score enough to make you happy - would you still describe him as a flop for the season? (the sum of the whole is greater than just one part and the outcome is greater with his contribution than without it) The final result is whats important rather than who the goalscorer is.

He could just become very selfish instead, shooting even when the angle was against him and others were better placed and he may score an acceptable number of goals but results and points at the end of the season may be less as a result but hey, you'd be happier with the player because his tally is higher

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So you will get behind him and support him until May and give him a chance rather than write him off?

There are plenty of examples where a player has had an unproductive season one season followed by a very productive one the following season

Are we supposed to ignore his other contributions when judging a player too or are we going to be blind to his overall contribution and concentrate on just his goals scored stats? What if we are the divisions top scorers, he created a lot of those goals,(including crucial ones that win games) we win the league at a gallop with him playing a key role but doesn't score enough to make you happy - would you still describe him as a flop for the season? (the sum of the whole is greater than just one part and the outcome is greater with his contribution than without it) The final result is whats important rather than who the goalscorer is.

He could just become very selfish instead, shooting even when the angle was against him and others were better placed and he may score an acceptable number of goals but results and points at the end of the season may be less as a result but hey, you'd be happier with the player because his tally is higher

Just because i don't rate a rate him it doesn't mean i don't support or cheer them on. You have to be a bit of a tit not to do that. It's tedious when people like yourself start making up stuff about not backing players.

Baldock isn't a Championship striker. He was prolific in league 1 like CMS but flopped in the division above. Gus didn't obviously play CMS to his strengths and so you could make an argument there.

4 goals isn't good enough and it doesn't matter how you dress it up.

Actually there was a player i didn't back and actually hated and for good reason but you are probably not old enough to remember him - Andy Kennedy.

I won't ever forget Steve Foster pushing him at Reading away the lazy sod

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you think Baldock chipping in with a grand sum of four goals all season was in any way acceptable, then you're trying to defend the indefensible frankly :shrug:

I'll trust CH to get it right, and he seems to, even with the latest scapegoat from 'fans'.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
)the sum of the whole is greater than just one part and the outcome is greater with his contribution than without it) The final result is whats important rather than who the goalscorer is.

That's it for me - the hashtag #together covers this. He may not be as flair as Knockaert, or come across as committed to the cause as Bruno or Stockdale but if it weren't for Sam then we would not have got some crucial goals and points over the past 18 months. His assist v Forest proves for me what he brings to the team, even though it was Murray who gets the credit because he scored.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'll trust CH to get it right, and he seems to, even with the latest scapegoat from 'fans'.

This 'scapegoat' is just nonsense. Baldock had a poor game, Bong had a worse one as did Skalak. There is also a Bong thread.

Our fans are generally quite good at matches and rarely turn on the team.
NSC is a discussion forum, there is nothing wrong with debate, even if its apparently 'crass' 😉

As you say Hughton is the opinion that matters and he has got most things right so far.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We need a striker to push Sam B onto the bench. Those defending Sam B can argue all they like, but the leaders of the club (Chris, Tony, Paul et al) have been chasing this elusive player since last summer, and they are right to do so.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's a shame that young Harper hasn't kicked on with the U23s. He would be the perfect alternative to Baldock who is an essential part of the squad but perhaps should not be our first choice no.10.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But we didn't take enough points from the top teams that was the bigger problem.

Very harsh to blame Bruno at QPR by the way.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of the Top six, Boro were the only team to take more points off of us than we did them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why is that more of an issue than only taking 2 points from the 4 games against Wolves & Cardiff?

Because we are taking points off top teams, therefore weakening their position.

Whilst all games matter, the key games are against your main rival. See the phrase '6 pointer'.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because we are taking points off top teams, therefore weakening their position.

Whilst all games matter, the key games are against your main rival. See the phrase '6 pointer'.

And as discussed, only one of the top six took more points off us than the other way round. So you've just made his point for him. Your point simply doesn't stand up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And as discussed, only one of the top six took more points off us than the other way round. So you've just made his point for him. Your point simply doesn't stand up.

Rubbish.
If we had deprived Burnley of points we would have gone up, the fact we drew twice affected our points total, see matches vs Derby and Sheff Wed.

Sorry but the fact they did no better is irrelevant, we have to win the mini league as we end up on the same points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here