Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Back-up Keeper

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why, why do we do this all the time, build someone up then make out they are useless if they have a couple of bad games.

Football is so much about confidence and keeper probably more than most, so keep chipping away, I'm sure it will do wonders for his development!

Indeed. It is silly.

If someone wants to have a discussion on why this is a sensible and justified thing to do, we can always have that discussion in the England or Brighton trophy room. Plenty of space.

Luckily the club is a bit more sensible than that. TB, DA and GP are no windsocks and wont sign a new first keeper just because their young keeper made a handful errors.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why, why do we do this all the time, build someone up then make out they are useless if they have a couple of bad games.

Football is so much about confidence and keeper probably more than most, so keep chipping away, I'm sure it will do wonders for his development!

Because this iks NSC that's why, everything or everyone is either brilliant or useless, never any middle ground.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Because this iks NSC that's why, everything or everyone is either brilliant or useless, never any middle ground.

This is exactly the opposite of what I’m saying. There is no reason why Sanchez shouldn’t have genuine competition, just as most were calling for the same with Ryan. And just as you’d absolutely expect a number of genuine options for every outfield position. Again, nowhere in my post have I said Sanchez is useless, and absolutely nowhere am I saying he should be sold or anything similar. Why does signing Mwepu not totally deflate Moder’s confidence? Does Ramsdale playing well for Arsenal make Leno suddenly shit? If Leno gets picked again does that mean Ramsdale is a dodgy keeper again?
And where exactly is all the evidence that signing another GK will destroy his confidence? Why is that more likely than motivating him? Is this something that only exists in GKs? Is there any real evidence of that?
Further, what about other young players at the club? The ones who face serious competition, have they now all lost confidence, their careers finished? Will Lamptey ever be able to play again if Veltman is picked ahead of him? Will Cucurella demand a transfer is he dropped for March?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Have I said he is even close to useless anywhere in my post? Is March useless because we signed Cucurella?

No, you didn't say he was useless, but did say you thought we would sign a new No. 1, so you clearly don't rate someone who has received lashings of praise from all and sundry.

Players make mistakes, it happens...

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
2 weeks to focus on whether we pick Steele or Scherpen and give them plenty of practice working with the defence, so its as good a time as any to give Sanchez the day off.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Professional foul (stopping goal scoring opportunity) in a 1 match ban, two yellows is 1 match ban, it’s 2 for dissent and 3 for dangerous play (can be extended), more for racism, spitting, refusing to leave field etc

A three match ban for spitting? There wouldn't be anyone left!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Argus reporting that GP has said it will be Steele at Villa

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Dunk should keep his place in goal. He made absolutely no mistakes, so it seems harsh to drop him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Potter confirming it will be Jason Steele (not sure there was any doubt) in goal for Villa
via: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19701020.brightons-jason-steele-set-face-aston-villa/

“Jason has played in the Carabao Cup so he will be in goal [for villa] and Kjell will support him.
“Jason has never let us down, he’s a fantastic guy and he will take the opportunity. His distribution is fantastic, he makes saves.
“He knows the guys, works with us every day so no problems with Jason.
“That’s what he’s there for, to wait for an opportunity and to be ready and I know he will do that.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here