Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Australian Indigenous Constitutional Recognition Referendum

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
There seems to be a divide between liberal areas and rural areas as assumed. My uncle lives in Ipswich, Queensland. Melbourne City was where the 'Yes' vote was high. Rural Queensland was the highest 'No' it seems. Think deepest Lincolnshire v Brighton.
Oi! We're not all like that.

I am disappointed - my relatives in Oz certainly voted Yes

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
There seems to be a divide between liberal areas and rural areas as assumed. My uncle lives in Ipswich, Queensland. Melbourne City was where the 'Yes' vote was high. Rural Queensland was the highest 'No' it seems. Think deepest Lincolnshire v Brighton.
That could be a bit harsh on deepest Lincolnshire!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oi! We're not all like that.

I am disappointed - my relatives in Oz certainly voted Yes
Oops. I suppose this is the place where I have to say 'Im not Fenist, I have a couple of good friends who live in Boston'

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That could be a bit harsh on deepest Lincolnshire!
I'm in the process of issuing a groveling apology to Lincolnshire Seagull. Although I haven't actually made any assertions about people who live in Lincolnshire. But perhaps I have left it a bit open-ended...

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
You don't need to go into country towns / outback to find rednecks try the Western suburbs of Sydney.

I lived in Oz for many years, it was a great place and I knew some pretty liberal minded people who I'm know voted YES. In workplace things were pretty diverse and I experienced so terrible racists attitudes, often second generation immigrants of European descent were the worse.

I remember one such incident when my boss told me he'd never employ an Abo because "it was too much hassle". The indigenous population are viewed as an underclass, during the Sydney Olympics they moved them out of Inner Sydney to the West.

I thought things may be moved on, seems they haven't.
I mentioned in an earlier post, I had seven years there in the 80s and my experiences were similar. Undisguised racism against the indigenous population was rife. I heard plenty. Unsurprisingly the very worst was during time spent in the NT but no shortage elsewhere either.

Agree what you say of Sydney's western suburbs. Making area demographics can lead to accusations of stereotyping, but that urban sprawl had plenty of what in English equivalence would be, those who think Farage is a good guy. I worked for a large organisation and encountered many of the worst stereotype of Australian racist. Notable the biggest a/holes were mainly from the western suburbs. They disliked the South European migrants and Poms too but the indigenous population were the bottom of their pile. I lived in the Eastern Suburbs all my time there and difference in social attitudes was noticeable.

My experience was similar re the attitude of some European immigrants to the indigenous population. Aside that, the internal squabbles amongst those who hailed from the Balkans was often cranked up to hate level. The former Yugoslavia was still in existence then and disputes between the different factions wasn't uncommon with violence often rearing its head when a Serb and Croat team played each other at football. I recall the Croatian Club out Fairfield way throwing a huge party when Tito left this world!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Thanks

So the vote was to recognise the existence of the indigenous people, and set up a commission that would advise (but not compel) incumbent governments on issues affecting those people

How the f*** does an electorate vote against THAT?

Weirdos
See ‘leave campaign’.

Vile white actors who have the power convincing the uneducated (and slightly racist) classes that power and influence should be held by them only. It’s classic right wing populism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here