[Other Sport] Aussie Rules Football

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good grief! Collingwood really put their fans through the wringer! Back from dead several times v Adelaide today, it was 58-58 with 30 seconds to play. Pies win 59-58!! :clap:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Richmond V Geelong tonight. Shaping up to be a good game. Geelong have a few players out and some youth starting both teams looking fairly even so far.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Are there any fans on here in our down under club ?

I'm just beginning to get into now it's on BT Sport.

I chose St Kilda as my team. Top of the league at the moment, although I suspect not for long. Hardly a fashionable team. I chose them because they were once known as Seagulls and appear to be the closest town to Brighton.. Well, you have to find some random criteria don't you.

So I'm not expecting much success on the supporter front, but if you are a fan of AFL it would be good to hear from you here.

Looks like St Kilda are on the box here on Sunday against Collingwood (who I understand to be one of the better teams).
I stayed in St Kilda on several occasions. Great place with loads of good bars and restaurants. On the edge of the Mornington Peninsula where you will find Brighton, Horsham, Sandringham and other familiar sounding places. Shane Warne played for the junior team and lived in St Kilda.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
the chants and the wit. Don't really get it at Aussie Rules matches

Been a while since I followed any AFL (and even when I did, it wasn't seriously). From memory back in the day the main wit you'd get from an AFL crowd were the crowd behind the goals constantly shouting "how big's your ****" at the official whenever a goal was scored. I recall many an official wearing a bit of a smirk as they brought their hands down wider than strictly required as they signalled a goal.

Yeah, nah, no one is happy about that!(apart from the pies supports of course).

Went back to a Aus on holiday last month. First time in about 8 years. Encountered the "yeah ... nah" phrase. Rather new bit of Aussie-speak that's crept in while I've been here in the UK. As with most Aussie-isms, the meat of the phrase is in what's not said in that pause between the "yeah" and the "nah". Having never heard it before, it nevertheless sounded distinctly Aussie to me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Marvellous scenes at Western Bulldogs v Collingwood earlier today. Mid-season draftee (from Pies to Dogs) Caleb Poulter has a brainfog and forgets what team he's playing for :lolol:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Enjoyed it when it was on a channel 4 and supported Fitzroy. They’ve merged to form Melbourne Bulldogs so lost much of my interes.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It's a fine game, though I suspect in need of a little sanitization with cte and it's somewhat blithe reaction to players being "ironed out" (great phrase).
I remember finding it very amusing in the 90s when our rugby union team would often go for the old up and under/garryowen with little success to their own and the commentators seeming bemusement. You're have thought at least someone would have noticed that catching a high ball under pressure was a key part of the national game.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Enjoyed it when it was on a channel 4 and supported Fitzroy. They’ve merged to form Melbourne Bulldogs so lost much of my interes.
They merged with Brisbane Bears to form the Brisbane Lions.

There is Melbourne Demons or the Western Bulldogs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mighty battle developing @ Port Adelaide v Collingwood, 2nd v 1st. Game being played at a blistering speed in an electric atmosphere. 18-14 to the Ports with 6 mins to play in Q1 at the Adelaide Oval. Carna Pies!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Astounding stuff! :ohmy:

Pies overturn a Q3 deficit of 17 points to win 85-83. They just keep doing that, game after game. It's downright spooky! 😱

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Astounding stuff! :ohmy:

Pies overturn a Q3 deficit of 17 points to win 85-83. They just keep doing that, game after game. It's downright spooky! 😱

Night tonight they didn't!

Near 87,000 crowd on a Friday night and the atmosphere and crowd noise was crazy loud from start to finish.

No other fixture in the AFL matches this one when both teams are up and about in finals contention.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Night tonight they didn't!

Near 87,000 crowd on a Friday night and the atmosphere and crowd noise was crazy loud from start to finish.

No other fixture in the AFL matches this one when both teams are up and about in finals contention.
Yup, Pies stuffed by Carlton this morning/tonight. Best team won. Way too many chances squandered. That big guy McStay is tremendous is the air, but his kicking sucks. And Mason Cox has gone right off the boil. Maybe a bit of a wake-up call against complacency creeping in

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yup, Pies stuffed by Carlton this morning/tonight. Best team won. Way too many chances squandered. That big guy McStay is tremendous is the air, but his kicking sucks. And Mason Cox has gone right off the boil. Maybe a bit of a wake-up call against complacency creeping in

Collingwood's come from behind wins were down to teams getting a lead and trying to protect it rather than keep attacking.

That's when Collingwood work best, forcing the turnovers as the opposition start to rush possession and moving it quickly forward.

Calton just applied pressure for the whole game tonight and once they hit the lead they didn't try and sit back on it, they kept playing attacking football.

The Pies were so bloody efficient in beating the Dees today. they're such a momentum side, weirdly i think having a week off before their home prelim might work against them a bit - they need to play to get in a rolling rhythm and i can see them possibly coming a cropper. More so vs Brisbane in the home prelim than Port, i'd say.
A Dees/Pies grand final definitely wouldnt be beyond the realms of improbability though . . . even though they lost today i saw a lot to like about the Dees, i have all season - i just think they have more big game players and having won it a couple of years back, they know they can do it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Pies were so bloody efficient in beating the Dees today. they're such a momentum side, weirdly i think having a week off before their home prelim might work against them a bit - they need to play to get in a rolling rhythm and i can see them possibly coming a cropper. More so vs Brisbane in the home prelim than Port, i'd say.
A Dees/Pies grand final definitely wouldnt be beyond the realms of improbability though . . . even though they lost today i saw a lot to like about the Dees, i have all season - i just think they have more big game players and having won it a couple of years back, they know they can do it
Nah. Pies were seriously misfiring today. The longer the season's gone on, the more vulnerable they've looked.
Despite all that tho eh, Carna Pies :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports