Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Aussie Rules Football

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Are there any fans on here in our down under club ?

I'm just beginning to get into it now it's on BT Sport.

I chose St Kilda as my team. Top of the league at the moment, although I suspect not for long. Hardly a fashionable team. I chose them because they were once known as Seagulls and appear to be the closest town to Brighton.. Well, you have to find some random criteria don't you.

So I'm not expecting much success on the supporter front, but if you are a fan of AFL it would be good to hear from you here.

Looks like St Kilda are on the box here on Sunday against Collingwood (who I understand to be one of the better teams).

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
St Kilda was the late great Shane Warne's team I believe. Played for their reserves before discovering what he could do with a cricket ball, but remained a fan of them all his life.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove

I'm just beginning to get into now it's on BT Sport.

I chose St Kilda as my team. Top of the league at the moment, although I suspect not for long. Hardly a fashionable team. I chose them because they were once known as Seagulls and appear to be the closest town to Brighton.. Well, you have to find some random criteria don't you.

So I'm not expecting much success on the supporter front, but if you are a fan of AFL it would be good to hear from you here.

Looks like St Kilda are on the box here on Sunday against Collingwood (who I understand to be one of the better teams).
I have seen a few games there on various trips, but not for a while now. They used to let you onto the outfield at the MCG to kick a footie around at one time which was great.

Sat next to this guy on a flight from Melbourne to Hobart once, didn’t really know he was such a legend at the time!

I watched a bit when over there, plus a random match at the oval a few years back to bring it to the Brits.

I don't mind it. Too many mullets but easy watching sport. The other half is an Aussie and a Collingwood fan. Better than yank sports, but no Football or Cricket.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I have been to quite a few games over the years here, and enter a tipping comp as well.
It's ok, but if a team are ahead by 80 to 100 at half time they should call it a day.
Pointless playing on as they never catch up and players look pissed off.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Love a bit of Aussie No Rules

Carna Pies! :clap:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I worked for a Melbourne-based Aussie company for many years, so Aussie Rules was a big thing, as was the annual tipping competition.

Despite a few visits to Melbourne, I didn't make it to a live game, but I was taken as a guest to a small local club on Grand Final day, and it was fantastic fun, and would definitely be high up in my "top 10 most drunk" days.

Essendon was the local team of choice so, if I had to pick a team, it would be them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Used to love it when Channel 4 used to have it on, last time I saw a game though I was disappointed to see they have swapped the Butchers that used to indicate a score, for Subway employees.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I live in Geelong and adopted the Cats as my team from my wife's family. The only team playing at a suburban ground these days. I used to love the terraces but sadly after the latest renovation they are no more.

Brilliant game though, the skills, speed, strength and bravery are incredible. Those balls are bloody hard to deal with.

Fwiw St Kilda are a very fashionable team, all your hipster alternative types love the saints . . . Well at least since the demise of Fitzroy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Very, very popular sport here. Regular club crowds in excess of 80 odd thousand and even smaller games attract 30-40,000! Mainly followed by Victorian folk with a population of around 5 million but is making inroads across the country. Media in Victoria cannot get enough of it. Downsides are teams being moved from historical locations to suit commercial success elsewhere, and fans who often swap allegiances.

Beer is available in the stadia and you can take it to your seat, but only the weak stuff available. Fans in the 'Cheer Squads" at either end have to pay extra for the priveledge!

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
Back in my youth i used to play for sussex swans in the london AFL League, we played at crawley rugby club, it was such a fast, physical game, playing a lot of london teams became so demanding that in the end other priorities took over…. but the time i did play it i absolutely loved it…..

think they are now based in brighton as a team,and now playing in blue and white…. back in the day we was red….

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Very, very popular sport here. Regular club crowds in excess of 80 odd thousand and even smaller games attract 30-40,000! Mainly followed by Victorian folk with a population of around 5 million but is making inroads across the country. Media in Victoria cannot get enough of it. Downsides are teams being moved from historical locations to suit commercial success elsewhere, and fans who often swap allegiances.

Beer is available in the stadia and you can take it to your seat, but only the weak stuff available. Fans in the 'Cheer Squads" at either end have to pay extra for the priveledge!
You Victoria-centric moron. What ill-informed rubbish! It's not mainly followed by Victorian "folk". The sport is massive in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory and it has a foothold in Queensland, New South Wales and the ACT. The biggest rivalry in the AFL is in fact between the Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide.

Teams are moved from "historical locations" (meaning Melbourne) because administrators are attempting to grow the sport. Fans swap allegiances in all sports. Seriously, you must be on drugs!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watched the Swans a few times at the SCG when I lived there. Absolutely cracking game played by supremely fit lunatics.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Hope Barber OBE doesn't read this :ohmy:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I love a bit of AFL. I love your reasoning behind picking St Kilda, it's better than my reasoning. I picked North Melbourne Kangaroos years ago, for the childlike reason that they play in blue and white stripes. It means if you buy the jersey you can wear it to one Albion game a season, if we're at home in August.

It's brilliant being in Melbourne on the day of the grand final, its just massive party atmosphere.

Also games are $27 which is about £14. I remember going in 2005 (to see St Kilda) and I think it cost £9. I remember thinking then I'd go all the time if I lived there.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Demons fan here. Got into it after living with an Aussie from my cricket club. Great fun watching them win the flag in a Belushi's at 8am with dozens of fans from both teams.

Didn't watch a lot last season as it was getting a bit much watching sport in the morning as well as the afternoon and evenings lol. Might try an dip in a bit more this year.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
I watched a bit when over there, plus a random match at the oval a few years back to bring it to the Brits.

I don't mind it. Too many mullets but easy watching sport. The other half is an Aussie and a Collingwood fan. Better than yank sports, but no Football or Cricket.

If you're bothered by mullets, don't go to a Rugby League game in Australia. Going to a League match in Australia is like a trip to the zoo.

What most non-Australians wouldn't understand is the so-called Barassi Line, that divides the country on the basis of who plays Aussie Rules and people who favour Rugby League.

1681282426445.png

The "Barassi Line"divides the regions where Australian rules football (southwest) and rugby league (northeast) are the most popular football codes. Ron Barassi was a great Aussie Rules footballer and coach.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
I have seen a few games there on various trips, but not for a while now. They used to let you onto the outfield at the MCG to kick a footie around at one time which was great.

Sat next to this guy on a flight from Melbourne to Hobart once, didn’t really know he was such a legend at the time!

Peter Hudson was a great footballer who kicked many goals, back in the day. Came from Tasmania.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just a heads-up that classic AFL movie The Club, loosely based on Collingwood and largely filmed there, is available in full on Youtube. Tremendous fun! :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here