Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attention anyone who rents their home through a letting agent - your thoughts please

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Don't ever use Just Lets (beyond useless & cost me legal fees to get my tenants deposit back from them). Trusted as Friends of the Albion - how wrong could I be?!

Good point. Do these so-called Friends Of The Albion ever get vetted before they're allowed on the scheme? Otherwise any old cowboy c**t could sign up.

My advice, Bluejuice, would be to take your contract down to the Citizens Advice, along with a detailed list of all the excessive payments, and see what they say. They might at least be able to point you in the right direction. I've considered letting my house out on a number of occasions, but always steered well clear of lettings agents, because they rip off all parties concerned, not just the tenants.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think there is a governing body for Letting agents as well. Don't know the name of it but they should at least lt you know where you stand.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I think there is a governing body for Letting agents as well. Don't know the name of it but they should at least lt you know where you stand.

ARLA- Association of ?? (Registered maybe) Letting Agents

if not happy with the agent, give them a call- also check the terms of any contracts you signed re renewal / repair fees ec.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Many thanks my Sussex chums. At last, a little bit of SENSE. Don't let the mods see, we can still get this moved to childish ramblings

Bitch

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I take no comfort from knowing that so many of you are also being had over by these f***ing halfwits. My landlord is good as gold. Unfortunately he/she uses PARKS as an agent.

Renewal costs £57 with VAT for f*** all and what really fucks me off is that they are earning interest on the deposit I left with them. They told me that's just the way it is and there's nothing I can do about it.

AND WHAT REALLY FUCKS ME OFF IS THEY ARE RIGHT

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Renewal fees are as already stated. £50 plus VAT is excessive. Leaders charge £40. You should be able to demand a twelve month extension with a one month release clause after six months. Lampons are taking the piss to insist that you take out a six month extension every time.

You may notice now that the sales market is slowing down that estate agents (that also do lettings) will charge higher fees to try to keep going. Your best bet is to stick with a tried and tested letting agent like Leaders who are an ARLA agent will make sure your deposit is properly protected.

Also look out for agents that will charge both an upfront fee when you take the tenancy as well as an equally high one when you leave to do the inventory and check out. A reputable agent should only charge one upfront fee and then a reasonable fee for extending the tenancy.

Never go with a grubby little agent as there is a good chance that the deposit won't be properly loked after if the agent goes bust. Just Lets are one such agency I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. And Lampons are a sales agency that dabble in letting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here