Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attention anyone who rents their home through a letting agent - your thoughts please

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I just wanna judge the average "renewal" fee for renewing a tenancy agreement. The ****s we deal with at Lampons are forever slapping ludicrous charges on us for either sending out plumbers we didn't want, demanding money for letters they've sent us or renewing our tenancy agreement, which they force us to do every six months at £50 a go. £50 our landlord doesn't see, £50 which goes towards the cost of 2 pieces of paper and the cost of a stamp to send it the 500yds up the road to our house from our local letting office.

Now obviously renting through a private landlord would most likely avoid the majority of these fees but of the people I know who also rent through an agent nobody else seems to be having to pay so much, and forced into 6 month agreements each time. We want to stay in our house as long as we can, as it's a nice place it'd be a shame to lose but frankly I'm sick of coughing up every time another letter comes through the door demanding yet MORE money out of us to fill the pockets of these money grabbing letting agent FUCKFACES.

We paid the fee to rent the place from them in the first place, we each paid stupid money for credit checking, we pay them far more each month than our landlord sees from them and we pay them every 6 months just for another bit of paper to sign. And what exactly do they do? f*** ALL that's what. If ever anything goes wrong they just wait 6 months to have somebody look at the problem, declare it unrepairable and simply remove it from our tenancy agreement. They do absolutely NOTHING to justify the kind of money they extort from us and this is entirely evident by the fact that EVERY letting agent in town is decor'd up like a trendy wine bar with fancy lighting, immaculate marble flooring, expensive contemporary art pieces and other obvious symbols of having far too much money.

Anyone who works in letting should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of a housing boom that's priced all but the top-earners out of the market to own their own home. It sickens me and I feel more people should speak up about it.

So going back to my original question, what do other letting agencies charge in renewal fees, and how often are these charges presented?

Also, from a legal point of view, if anyone's good with this sort of thing, if we were to approach our landlord with the proposal that we cut out the middle man, pay him the rent direct and look after the place ourselves thereby earning him far more money and avoiding us all the pointless fees going to the greedy letting agent BASTARDS would there be any complications in our defecting from Lampons? Do they have any sort of exclusivity over administering the tenancy or could we just f*** them off entirely?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Some charge renewal fees but you should not be charged for plumbers or letters they send to you. that is what your initial fee was for when you moved in. Tell them to f*** off.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Brick say hello to window, window say hello to brick.

urbanjim

Oct 27, 2005
Dublin
Had to pay the £50 renewal fee, great fun that is.

The agency who look after ours are a bunch of f*ckwits. Once paid them the cash, they didn't want to know when we had problems. Dealt mostly with the owners, so they've got p*ssed of at agents who arn't doing their job and still getting 15% of monthly rent.
Plus now they want to increase the rent without seeing whether the landlords want to increase it or not.

Landlords have decided to ditch the aegents and do a direct contract between themselves and us.

Monkster

Ragamuffin
Jul 7, 2003
The Token Carlisle United Fan
We get charged £40 + £7 VAT for the renewal.....the easiest way to reduce the cost of it is to extend the contract for 12 months rather than 6

It is however, all a con

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The landlady managed to get in touch when my rent was 24hours late but mysteriously cannot be contacted when I repeatedly ask for them to sort the damp problem out in my room. I hope she is ok.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
The landlady managed to get in touch when my rent was 24hours late but mysteriously cannot be contacted when I repeatedly ask for them to sort the damp problem out in my room. I hope she is ok.

My room also has a damp patch but I'm not sure it's really something I can approach them about.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Why did they send you out plumbers and extra letters?

To be honest I had far less problems dealing with a letting agent (Pembertons) than I did with a private land lady. I never had to renew with my letting agent, but my landlady charged me £50 for doing bugger all.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
£35 + VAT with Leaders. To be honest we could avoid that by aggreeing a longer tenancy but no one knows what they'll be doing in 6 months so we just pay that every time. I live with 3 other people so it's only a tenner each.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The problem is they refuse to let us have any tenancy longer than 6 months at a time, knowing full well that earns them £100 a year rather than just the £50.

I hate it SO much.

So does anyone know where I stand regarding trying to get the landlord on our side and renting through him cutting out the agents? I know when we first moved in he was overseas so it stands to reason that he had an agent looking after it all, but now he's back in the country wouldn't it suit us all to deal direct?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The problem is they refuse to let us have any tenancy longer than 6 months at a time, knowing full well that earns them £100 a year rather than just the £50.

I hate it SO much.

So does anyone know where I stand regarding trying to get the landlord on our side and renting through him cutting out the agents? I know when we first moved in he was overseas so it stands to reason that he had an agent looking after it all, but now he's back in the country wouldn't it suit us all to deal direct?

No harm in asking.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I have done a bit of work in lettings, IMO theyshould get charged more for being such a pain it the arse. Buy somewhere and stop moaning!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Buy somewhere??

I live in Brighton, not Bulgaria

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Buy somewhere??

I live in Brighton, not Bulgaria

Stop moaning then, until you buy you have to pay for being in the position you are in. I have lived in Brighton all my life and bought 2 yrs ago............So Bulgaria has nothing to do with it!!

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Buying a house is not an option for an unemployed debt-laden bankrupt rapidly facing his first CCJ

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Why did they send you out plumbers and extra letters?

To be honest I had far less problems dealing with a letting agent (Pembertons) than I did with a private land lady. I never had to renew with my letting agent, but my landlady charged me £50 for doing bugger all.

My last agent was Pembertons and I have to say they were exceptionally good agents to deal with. very rare. Everyone else I have been with have been rip off merchants. Youbg Lee ar ethe biggest rip off motherfuckers in the Industry. FACT.
They are a bunch of moneygrabbing wankers and they are just and I mean just the right side of legal. C*NTS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here