Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Attending games on your own

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
As I mentioned on a previous post on this thread, Steve Hackett is a rare gig that me and Mrs HS both go to. She loved early Genesis but lost interest completely post Peter Gabriel.

We've done the recent SEBTP (Brighton and Hammersmith), Seconds Out (Brighton and Southampton) and Foxtrot at Fifty tours. Waiting to hear what he's bringing to UK audiences next.
That’s where I differ my first Genesis album was invisible touch when I was 15 so I was 5 when Peter Gabriel left and was probably still listening to wheels on the bus during that period. But the songs I loved on the Invisible Touch were Domino and The Brazilian they were so different, so I bought the self titled album and love home by the sea parts one and two. Then ABACAB and loved Dodo/Lurker these albums the people who got in to Genesis in the 70s dismissed were so far removed from the 80s S,A,W pop shit that was on the radio at the time, I loved them and without them would have never listen to foxtrot or Selling England by The Pound.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
That’s where I differ my first Genesis album was invisible touch when I was 15 so I was 5 when Peter Gabriel left and was probably still listening to wheels on the bus during that period. But the songs I loved on the Invisible Touch were Domino and The Brazilian they were so different, so I bought the self titled album and love home by the sea parts one and two. Then ABACAB and loved Dodo/Lurker these albums the people who got in to Genesis in the 70s dismissed were so far removed from the 80s S,A,W pop shit that was on the radio at the time, I loved them and without them would have never listen to foxtrot or Selling England by The Pound.
I’m actually with you. My wife is 2 1/2 years older than me and the first albums I heard were Wind & Wuthering and Trick of the Tail round a mate’s house when I was 16/17. First album I bought was ‘And Then There Were Three’ followed by ‘Duke’ - I then met my wife to be!

Saw Genesis at Knebworth in 1992. Went with the mate who got me into Genesis back in the 70’s - on the back of his motorbike!! What was I thinking - I hate motorbikes 😂 My wife stayed at home. They played a good mix of old and new. I remember great versions of Domino and Driving the Last Spike. And Phil Collins was on great form. Sad to see him in bad health these days.

I haven’t heard their version of Wheels on the Bus. I’ll check it out 😉

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep…since my eldest Laura went to uni and stopped going I always go on my own nowadays.

meet up with mates in the ground but I am Larry loner

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
My username gives away the fact I’m a big Paul Weller fan. And The Jam who I first saw in 1977.

In the early days of internet forums (then called message boards) I found one on Paul Weller … and ended up meeting a bunch of the other board members. For a few years we got together once a year and hired a studio under Guildford train station where those that could play guitar etc played Jam songs and those that couldn’t (like me) tried to sing on some of them. But we also met up at Weller gigs and in those days I could go to a gig on my own virtually anywhere and would always meet at least a few of this group - including various London venues, Guildford, Reading, Croydon, Bournemouth, Poole, Southampton. I even flew on my own to Amsterdam for a gig and met half a dozen or so of them there.

Sadly, times move on and I’m back to seeing Weller solo these days!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Jumped from page 1 to five and the discussion turned to Genesis. You can't help but love NSC

always with mates @ Goldstone, don't think I ever went on my own. Likewise @ Gillingham and the ST's at Withdean.
Gave my ST up before we got to Falmer so nearly always with 1 friend, or most often on my own now.

Same goes for gigs, usually book 2 tickets and quite often end up going on my own . . . Otway & Barret anyone?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Go home on my own unless it's a cup game or a friendly then Mini Exile comes. On nodding / casual chat terms with those who sit around me but don't know any of their names. Get to half a dozen away games, always on my own. I'm not anti-social and for home games at least I've got good mates who also have STs so I could travel with them and meet up, it's just football is the only time in my life I'm actually able to please myself rather than making plans around others and my brain needs that. Thankfully my mates totally understand. I'm really looking forward to Spurs tomorrow - the game obviously, I'm curious about the stadium, but also a chance to mooch around London for a bit and not have to rush or be anywhere for anyone.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Have done it before, its definitely not as good as going with others. To be honest, I found it a bit boring before and after the game but then again, I'd rather go than not.

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
Living in the Midlands I tend to go to away games on my own quite a bit.
Used to go with my grandad a lot but he’s not up to the journeys as much so I’ll quite often go solo.
I’ve got some mates that are not Albion fans but would be up for the day out, but they’re not members so it’s usually away games that go to general sale.

I work in Nottingham now and for Leicester away I saw a few other Brighton fans get on the train so there’s definitely more around here.

If anyone else goes solo to games from Notts way then let me know!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I often go to games/theatre/cinema on my own. By choice. I like actually watching the event and usually have little to say. If stuck with the wrong person at a match, it can make it a nightmare for me. At matches I sing loud, in theatre I sit in the darkness watching quietly, so I don’t need anyone beside me for that either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I go to quite a few gigs by myself for the same reason. I am going to see Faust at the Jazz Cafe next week by myself.
Enjoy! I saw them a year of so ago performing Faust IV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here