Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attack the North Stand in the first half?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Just thinking for the Doncaster game on Saturday - do you think the players will break with tradition and play towards the home fans in the North Stand in the first half, just in the hope that the first ever [competitive] goal can be there, rather than in front of the Doncaster fans?

(It's all about the little details to make Saturday perfect, isn't it?)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd be surprised, when it comes down to it, Gus will be more interested in the points than the occasion, I think there is no doubting that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I don't think they will, I hope they keep with tradition and attack the north in the second half...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think we should park the bus and defend for ninety minutes to make sure we don't lose the first ever competitive game. :moo:

Last edited:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
In short, No.
Who cares what end the 1st goal is at, least of all the players. 3 points is all that matters.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'd be surprised, when it comes down to it, Gus will be more interested in the points than the occasion, I think there is no doubting that.

3 points is all that matters.

Both points are obviously true. I don't see how which end we play towards in which half affects either point though - the pitch is (one hopes) symmetrical. I was just thinking that CMS/Barnes/Lua Lua might fancy that moment of smashing home the first ever 'proper' goal in front of the North Stand is all...

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Can you imagine the pandemonium up the North end, with the East and West ends also, if we knock in a 96th. minute winner ??? The place will come unzipped at the seams :ohmy:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't think they will, I hope they keep with tradition and attack the north in the second half...
exactly , 90th minute winners in front of a packed North Stand - how it should be.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Both points are obviously true. I don't see how which end we play towards in which half affects either point though - the pitch is (one hopes) symmetrical. I was just thinking that CMS/Barnes/Lua Lua might fancy that moment of smashing home the first ever 'proper' goal in front of the North Stand is all...

The idea (I think) is that attacking the home fans will be a greater benefit when we are chasing a game, say we are 1 down, or it's 1 all, the north stand could provide the extra piece of inspiration the players need in the last 5 minutes.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The idea (I think) is that attacking the home fans will be a greater benefit when we are chasing a game, say we are 1 down, or it's 1 all, the north stand could provide the extra piece of inspiration the players need in the last 5 minutes.

Makes perfect sense - except the same logic also applies to the away team who'd be getting the same benefit from attacking towards their fans... Who knows? :)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Makes perfect sense - except the same logic also applies to the away team who'd be getting the same benefit from attacking towards their fans... Who knows? :)

Indeed, I've never really got it myself either, but teams still seem to do it religiously.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Regardless of advantage, when you're behind the goal I always think it's much better when the team attacks that end in the second half. Something to look forward to.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Hardly worth having the coin toss ??? Either captain will attack their fans in the second half, Shirley :smile:

I don't think it really matters, if we don't score in the first half in front of the North Stand, then we may score in front of the East Stand in the second. Or we may not score at all (heaven forbid)
Three Points is all i want!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Regardless of advantage, when you're behind the goal I always think it's much better when the team attacks that end in the second half. Something to look forward to.

Same as. Even though I prefer to be at the side rather than behind a goal I always go somewhere around in line with the penalty area at the end our fans are.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Either way, if we score down at the South Stand, I hope whoever scores runs all the way along the West Stand and jumps into the North Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here