Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Why do we (and most other fans of most other clubs from looking at their forums) care so much about the quality of home atmosphere (away is not an issue IMO).

Personally I don't care that much what other fans think of us but I know that is a big concern for a lot. It does sting a bit when the Amex is slated however and I think unfairly as we are probably about middle of the league table of PL atmosphere from what I've heard away).

Firstly for me it is about lifting the players and close second just that the buzz from a really good atmosphere can last for days.

The thing that mostly bothers me is that we are not good when we are losing. The wind quickly drops from our collective sails and we seem bullied into submission by the away fans.

The north, the engine room of the atmosphere is great WHEN IN UNISON but only certain songs spread around the ground. When singing different things or only half the NS is singing, it does not travel/is not more than a low distant noise, when heard further away than halfway - if there is decent away support (which there usually is - apart from city at the end of last season who were dogshit that night).

It would be great for something to be sustained longer than a few "Albions" by the whole ground. "Withdean to Wembley" fits the bill as most seem to know the words but it relies on Dunk doing something notable (which he often does in fairness). The other easy to follow ones like "bhafc, blue and white army" and "we all follow Brightonhovealbion" seem to tail off very quickly maybe because they are mostly sounds or non words (e.g. allez allez oh! der der der..) Maybe that's why.

"Ohhh ohhh oh everywhere we go..." seems limited by most people not knowing the last line "pride of the south coast" This one often quickly fades, maybe killed off by a lot of people mumbling that part.

I think songs that are easy to pick up from hearing who is near you sing it (even when slurring drunk) and contain normal words do well. So: "Albion, Albion" shortened "gosbts"(though again some sing going up to win the cup), withdean to Wembley and "we are Brighton, super Brighton" seem to be in that category (and the latter, my firm favourite btw).
Maybe if the north started those in unison more frequently (obviously interspersed with the speed metal paced technically more challenging ones the masses don't know) it would help overall as it is crystal clear to see that the majority outside the north do not join in if they do not know it word for word and they will only sing it if their neighbours pipe up - so it is obvious why it spreads.

I think the whole crowd joining in is quite simply the fundamental issue and that agonising over the depth of the NS, the design of the bowl and it's effect on the acoustics, the placement of the mics determining how good we come across on the telly and (for god sakes strike them down) any suggestion of drums / other gimmicks, become quite frankly irrelevant because you simply cannot not hear the sound of about 27k people in full voice and it is always enough to cancel out any group of away fans.

Oh. I have no idea how my above suggestion (of starting the effective songs more frequently) would actually be implemented, so I've not been any use here.

That's the last time I comment on an atmosphere thread.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The atmosphere at last nights game was very interesting the Athens fans were relentless, it must have been getting warmer in the away end as the evening progressed more and more discarded their shirts in an effort to keep cool, despite not understanding a word it sounded good and the collective dance moves looked very impressive.

While our Albion Albion followed by Sweat Caroline, GOSBTS and the Dunky, Mitoma songs left me thinking we as fans really need to up our game

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It’s weird that the lyrics to ‘Seagulls Seagulls’ now seem to be too difficult for most of us. I’m fairly convinced too that ‘Oh Roberto De Zerbi’ to the White Stripes tune would pick up pretty quickly all over the ground instead of the current effort everyone races through without being able to fit his name in properly. High time for some old fashioned fast paced ‘albion albion albion’ too instead of the downbeat Liverpool dirge.

It’s good that we’ve got some new songs but most people only pick up the words at away games. And it’s utterly baffling that we can’t come up with something decent for a legend like Pascal. Even an ‘ole ole ole ole Pascal Gross Gross Gross’ would be better than nothing. As for the Mitoma song, great when Bissouma used to dance to it… doesn’t seem apt for him at all. The old Elliott Bennett song would work.

I know this is all devastatingly unoriginal but they’re songs that are dead easy for the whole stadium to sing, at least until new ones catch on. I’d take volume over Sondheim Awards any time.

PS kids, please learn the Lip Up Fatty tune. It’s an absolute open goal AND would be unique.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Why do we (and most other fans of most other clubs from looking at their forums) care so much about the quality of home atmosphere (away is not an issue IMO).

Personally I don't care that much what other fans think of us but I know that is a big concern for a lot. It does sting a bit when the Amex is slated however and I think unfairly as we are probably about middle of the league table of PL atmosphere from what I've heard away).

Firstly for me it is about lifting the players and close second just that the buzz from a really good atmosphere can last for days.

The thing that mostly bothers me is that we are not good when we are losing. The wind quickly drops from our collective sails and we seem bullied into submission by the away fans.

The north, the engine room of the atmosphere is great WHEN IN UNISON but only certain songs spread around the ground. When singing different things or only half the NS is singing, it does not travel/is not more than a low distant noise, when heard further away than halfway - if there is decent away support (which there usually is - apart from city at the end of last season who were dogshit that night).

It would be great for something to be sustained longer than a few "Albions" by the whole ground. "Withdean to Wembley" fits the bill as most seem to know the words but it relies on Dunk doing something notable (which he often does in fairness). The other easy to follow ones like "bhafc, blue and white army" and "we all follow Brightonhovealbion" seem to tail off very quickly maybe because they are mostly sounds or non words (e.g. allez allez oh! der der der..) Maybe that's why.

"Ohhh ohhh oh everywhere we go..." seems limited by most people not knowing the last line "pride of the south coast" This one often quickly fades, maybe killed off by a lot of people mumbling that part.

I think songs that are easy to pick up from hearing who is near you sing it (even when slurring drunk) and contain normal words do well. So: "Albion, Albion" shortened "gosbts"(though again some sing going up to win the cup), withdean to Wembley and "we are Brighton, super Brighton" seem to be in that category (and the latter, my firm favourite btw).
Maybe if the north started those in unison more frequently (obviously interspersed with the speed metal paced technically more challenging ones the masses don't know) it would help overall as it is crystal clear to see that the majority outside the north do not join in if they do not know it word for word and they will only sing it if their neighbours pipe up - so it is obvious why it spreads.

I think the whole crowd joining in is quite simply the fundamental issue and that agonising over the depth of the NS, the design of the bowl and it's effect on the acoustics, the placement of the mics determining how good we come across on the telly and (for god sakes strike them down) any suggestion of drums / other gimmicks, become quite frankly irrelevant because you simply cannot not hear the sound of about 27k people in full voice and it is always enough to cancel out any group of away fans.

Oh. I have no idea how my above suggestion (of starting the effective songs more frequently) would actually be implemented, so I've not been any use here.

Brilliant (if somewhat long :smile:) post.
We can be amazing. Last night, we were amazing during periods. But, as you say, we're not sufficiently pro-active and rarely lift the team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Going against the grain here, players/performances lift home crowds.

I was obvious from very early on that Milner/JPVH/Igor were a hopeless combo. Levi Garcia was single handedly destroying them for pace and power. Then we left a player completely unmarked for the all important opener.

The hype/occasion well and truly burst. As their counter attack game continued to tear us apart.

Home fans sense that.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Going against the grain here, players/performances lift home crowds.

I was obvious from very early on that Milner/JPVH/Igor were a hopeless combo. Levi Garcia was single handedly destroying them for pace and power. Then we left a player completely unmarked for the all important opener.

The hype/occasion well and truly burst. As their counter attack game continued to tear us apart.

Home fans sense that.
Agree - I am in WSU near the halfway line in row A so for me the acoustics are a lot truer. . The noise reflected what was happening on the pitch, AEK very loud when they were in front and I mean very noisy and the singing and movement was well choreographed by the guy up front. We made a lot more noise when we pulled back each of the goals and during the purple patch when we should have at least got another.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Shame english fans and support in home games is so poor vs europe

They sing together, bounce together, support continuously regardless and generally have a good time

Thought we had a good few spells of noise that were coming from the north stand but it wasnt continuous and wasnt sustained when we were losing. Was hoping for more of an enhanced 1st half of the sheff weds play off atmosphere.

Engiish "home" support on the whole is sterile and boring.

Once we have these 3 euro away games hopefully we can bring back some of that euro support inspiration and generate some ourselves back home

They normally have some sort of fella with a megaphone orchestrating what to sing and when to jump. It may be impressive, but it is not organic. I think the English crowds are more about actually watching the games, reacting when appropriate, rather than being part of a giant sing-a-long and choreographed jump about.
Spot on and I prefer that. It is a sport not sing along.

Good to hear. Sadly, it didn't come through on the telly at all really. Sounded very flat at times bar the Athens fans. I'm up north and couldn't make the game, but kept thinking while watching that I know I've been at games where the atmosphere's been great and then looked on here and some of those watching on telly have said it sounded flat, so maybe it is actually decent at the game. Where do they put the mics at the Amex!?!
No
Idea!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I thought the atmosphere in the South West corner was pretty decent, lots getting involved, decent view and the bars served very quickly.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The atmosphere/acoustics at the amex are definitely a bit weird. I watched the game on tv and it sounded no more than ok but the commentators mentioned how good the atmosphere was so it seems that it not only doesn't always travel from one stand to the other but it doesn't get picked up by the mics that well either.

It's not the first time either that the commentators have said what a good atmosphere there is at the game yet on the tv it's nothing special. Strange.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You promise ?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm not sure why we get precious about the atmosphere at the Amex, its nowhere near the best but nowhere near the worse.

We've shown plenty of times that it can create and incredible atmosphere but our demographic of fans doesn't lend itself to a raucous wall of noise for every game, it's not something to be negative about just the reality.

I think a bigger North stand might help but I feel there's a good number of North stand regulars who don't want to jump around and create a racket for 90 minutes anyway.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The atmosphere/acoustics at the amex are definitely a bit weird. I watched the game on tv and it sounded no more than ok but the commentators mentioned how good the atmosphere was so it seems that it not only doesn't always travel from one stand to the other but it doesn't get picked up by the mics that well either.

It's not the first time either that the commentators have said what a good atmosphere there is at the game yet on the tv it's nothing special. Strange.
I think it depends on the TV company too. Sky always seem to ramp up the FX to the maximum on their live games which gives more of an 'in-stadium' feel compared to the normal coverage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here