Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Cole

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
J

I recall when we managed to acquire the services of Wayne B, he was contracted to Man City, on circa £100,000 per week of which we paid approx £10k with his parent club forking out the remainder, (crazy money I know but that is how the rumours went)
I read that too, madness.
Reading offered him bucket loads too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He won't need to make demands, he will get offers.

On 14 August 2015, Cole terminated his contract with Roma with one year of his contract remaining

He's had 10 weeks to get the 'offers' in.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Anyone who saw him play for Roma (see the article linked earlier in the thread) will realise that this argument about wages is totally irrelevant. He was dogshit and his contract was terminated because he was never going to play for them again after a series of truly awful performances where it was clear that he's lost it.

Bridge was out of favour at Man City but there was no suggestion that he couldn't still play to a decent level. Despite the fact that he was the highest paid golfer in the country at the time he still desperately wanted to play football and prove that he was still on it. I'd be surprised if Cole still has that desire after his experience at Roma. He's got nothing to prove but a lot to lose.

Will the former best LB in the World really want to be seen being skinned regularly by Championship wingers? I know I wouldn't do that in his position and I'm pretty sure my ego is no way as big as Ashley's. It's not as if he needs the money but surely the sensible thing to do would be to carry on being paid a fortune somewhere where the standard of football is poor, the lifestyle excellent and the spotlight far less harsh. If he doesn't retire then surely the semi retirement of the MLS fits the bill perfectly.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
/
Are you saying you would turn down ASHLEY COLE to play left back for the Albion, seriously? ASHLEY COLE

Yes I would. Did you see the way he got roasted against Bayern in the CL last year?

No chance he would come here to play for 15K-20K a week when he could go to the MLS or Indian Premier League.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think money is the issue, not now. The only consideration is, does Ashley Cole WANT to play football any more? If he does, he will come to an agreement with somebody, somewhere. If he's just not interested any more, there's nothing to discuss.
So, does anybody actually know if he wants to kick a football in anger again?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Yes I would. Did you see the way he got roasted against Bayern in the CL last year?

No chance he would come here to play for 15K-20K a week when he could go to the MLS or Indian Premier League.

He won't be playing Bayern, he'll be playing Burnley!

Why are people still going on about MLS & ISL, they are nearly finished. MLS till March and ISL only runs Oct to Dec!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
He won't be playing Bayern, he'll be playing Burnley!

Why are people still going on about MLS & ISL, they are nearly finished. MLS till March and ISL only runs Oct to Dec!

Using that as a example showing he is on the decline and isn't the same player. If he can't get motivated for a game against Bayern in the CL, then how is he going to get motivated for Burnley away in the Championship. If ability is not the issue maybe motivation is.

The MLS and IPL are the only leagues silly enough to pay his high wages.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It wasn't just against Bayern that he was embarrassed. He got destroyed by mediocre players in Serie A which is why Roma dropped him and eventually let him go.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As has been said many times we do not play teams in Seria A or La ligue but teams in the 2nd tier of English football and you could name the current England internationals as our oponents on 1 hand.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I'm always amazed at how certain players like Ashley Cole get all the stick for being a 'bell-end', 'mercenary' or 'thicko'.

Because, in case you'd been asleep for the past 30 years, football is wall-to-wall with knobheads like Ashley Cole.

The fact is this: you give a novice knobhead an obscene amount of money and quickly he becomes a turbo knobhead.

For all you know, the Albion development squad may have a number of knobheads-in-waiting, just like Cole, but the fact is, they're not high profile (or rich) enough to make the newspapers.

Picking on him in this way seems senseless and arbitrary.

Completely agree with you. Lets not forget we have had one of the biggest (littlest) knobheads in the game play for us. Yes, you guessed it. Leon Knight.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Jesus Christ. Never mind the facts, because he used to be a great player he must still be able to play Championship football.

There are countless examples of that not being the case.

I presume those arguing the point never actually saw him play for Roma. He's not just not the same Ashley Cole (obviously), barring a miracle he's finished.

And what has "current England internationals" got to do with anything?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In Seria A he would be playing against internatiinals most weeks but not if he signed for us. I would sooner take a chance on him rather than Calderon or Chicksen or even move LR come to that.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Then I'm afraid you are completely deluded.

Rosenior is match fit, has fitted in perfectly with the rest of the team, has a great attitude and has played at left back in the Premier League.

You're comparing him to an Ashley Cole who doesn't exist any more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Then I'm afraid you are completely deluded.

Rosenior is match fit, has fitted in perfectly with the rest of the team, has a great attitude and has played at left back in the Premier League.

You're comparing him to an Ashley Cole who doesn't exist any more.

I dont doubt that he would probably not be as good as Rosenior currently but we do not want nor need to disrupt our play by moving him from right midfield where he has excelled and is of most use to us when we can bring in an able cover for Bong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here