Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/10937315.Barnes__I_didn_t_feel_wanted_so_it_was_best_to_go/

Well done to the Argoose (Naylor?) for getting this.
Two things stood out for me in this:
1. Barnes states that "I've put them [B&HA] where they are today really." Really? This suggests either an inflated ego, or an inability to use words properly.
2. he's utterly inconsistent in this interview about why he left. He indicates that the club offered him a contract in the summer but didn't improve on it subsequently, yet he repeats on a number of occasions that he didn't leave because of money.

I'd put the inconsistency down to the latter of your two points

I'd say it's 100% about money despite the claim that it isn't. I really can't see any other reason and definitely don't buy a longer contract or the desire to play Prem football, which I still think Burnley will struggle to do and can't really see Barnes having much of a role if they did

So it's money for me, it's not something he really can come out and say but I don't blame him at all. He's not one that's ever going to get near enough to the mega wages to be accused of greed

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not entirely convinced by the length of the deal argument because, ultimately, this is also about money. He's 24, if he were 34 then the length of the deal might become decisive between two suitors. As he's 24, if we offered him two years, he can think, I'll still be in my prime by the time the contract ends. There might be more in the status/comparison with the rest of the squad argument, but this raises the question of to what extent players divulge details of their contracts (which will be extremely complex in all likelihood) to team-mates.

I've not read the article yet, but elsewhere on here there was a comment about the club offering him a contract in the summer and not coming back with another, I.e. Not being willing to negotiate. In previous interviews he has mentioned feeling like he was being pushed out, while people have looked at the club eyeing Obika and then signing Lita, perhaps it is also in the contract offer and refusal to discuss it that has made him feel like he is being pushed out.

Offering a longer contract of course give him more money (and career security), but are also signs of a desire to have him in the team, a commitment to the player, giving that player a feeling of being wanted, or his contribution being recognised. He gives his all on the pitch and wants to have that appreciated.

You so have the issue that short contracts mean uncertainty. With the money levels in football being what they are, prudent investment and money management can mean it's ok to have a lower amount for a longer period, and that gives you a more relaxed work life. If he gets a one year deal, and we're looks at promotion he's going to wonder why only one year? Do they not see me good enough for the prem, am I going to be sold in the summer? Or if they don't sell him there's the problem if having to do through the process again the following summer, or the worry of moving in the January window, and again, a constant cycle of 'what does the future hold?' For a few quid extra each week knowing it could just stop in a few months, or a few years where you can relax and just get on with the job for a few quid less.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Haha he said it wasn't about money. Well it clearly is only about money.

Contradicts himself in the same sentence!

I would be pissed off though when bridge and CMS were/are earning £20k a week here and he was on league one wages.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Barnes:
"But for security and from a family point of view I needed a fresh challenge. I’ve got my wife and our two-and-a-half year old, so obviously I need to look out for them as well."
Yep, they offered you more money, and that was important for your family.

“It had got to that stage in my life and it was too good to say no."
Money is difficult to turn down.

“I got offered a contract in pre-season but it wasn’t right for me and my family and that was the only one they offered me. They never came back with anything else."
Yep, you thought you were worth more money, and Burnley agree, so fair play. I'd have done the same thing.

He insisted: “It’s not about money, no chance."
Eh?

“But I’ve made the right decision on footballing reasons, not about money. It’s not about money at all, or I would have stayed at Brighton"
Shut up Ashley, you're talking nonsense. It was about money, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd say it's 100% about money despite the claim that it isn't. I really can't see any other reason and definitely don't buy a longer contract or the desire to play Prem football, which I still think Burnley will struggle to do and can't really see Barnes having much of a role if they did

Money and a longer contract are one and the same thing, a 4 year contract is double the guaranteed wages of a two year contract. As I said on the other thread, contract length is a massive issue for players at this level. If he gets a career ending injury 1 year into a two year contract he on has another year to fall back on.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I suspect that with 3 other clubs in for him, he thought we would have offered him a better contract. We obviously made the best offer we could (or wanted to) and he thought he deserved more. No idea if the money wasn't enough or the length was too short, maybe both, but can you blame him for taking a (probably) longer contract on (probably) higher wages with a team that could go up automatically and seem desperate to sign you?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Money and a longer contract are one and the same thing, a 4 year contract is double the guaranteed wages of a two year contract. As I said on the other thread, contract length is a massive issue for players at this level. If he gets a career ending injury 1 year into a two year contract he on has another year to fall back on.

I still think there are several downsides to signing a 4 year deal vs a 2 year deal but your point is valid and certainly at these levels I can't blame any of them chasing the money while they can

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Yup, just contrast Will Hoskins, who is facing unemployment in the summer at the age of 27, who was signed on a 2 year contract, (which the Albion have extended but on reduced terms) and CMS, who is half way through a lucrative 5 year contract. Both have hardly kicked a ball in anger for a year, but one does has a nervous summer ahead.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Can also understand Barnes thinking he'd earned more than the two year deal we've supposedly offered him. He's a proven success here so not a risk of any sort, and he has contributed a lot to where we are now. But if the club offered what they thought he was worth, and he could get a longer deal elsewhere, then good luck to him. Fully support both him and the club's decision.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Maybe he means the length of the deal? I.e. if we only offered him 1 or 2 years and he wanted 3 or 4? He could be saying he felt his contribution warranted a longer deal. Plus the wages there will definitely be higher than here, whatever he says. They have parachute payments and he was still on the same contract with us that he signed in league 1. Unless he had a treble your wage after promotion clause, its safe to assume his pay was modest compared to the rest of our squad.

He might mean length of deal but I'm not wholly convinced as I feel ultimately it's down to the money on offer, Either Barnes is very bad at putting his point across or he's got a bit of an egotistical streak.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
So, he wanted a longer deal and OG & NJ wanted him long term, this begs the question, does whoever deals with player contracts, not think hes ever going to be good enough for where we want to be within 1-2 seasons?
Am i right in thinking David Burke has the final say on contracts as well as transfers? has this issue lead to a disagreement between the head coaches and David Burke or do OG & NJ accept that Burke has final say on these matters?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
He's a proven success here so not a risk of any sort, and he has contributed a lot to where we are now.
Some might agree with you, but if you recall, the club is putting itself on a Prem Ready footing, that means that the retained players must at least, in the eyes of the management, be able to step up. I suspect some of our management thought he may not be a player that can make it at that level, and thus was not deserving of a significantly increased contract in terms of money and/or duration.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I found the interview very confusing, It wasn't about money but he felt the contract offer under-valued his contribution and worth to the club?

Maybe he wanted a longer contract or more guarantee of his role at the club (ie does Oscar see him playing off Ulloa)?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Some might agree with you, but if you recall, the club is putting itself on a Prem Ready footing, that means that the retained players must at least, in the eyes of the management, be able to step up. I suspect some of our management thought he may not be a player that can make it at that level, and thus was not deserving of a significantly increased contract in terms of money and/or duration.

Perhaps, but then Burnley certainly have the Premier League in mind next season so be interesting to see how he does if they do get there.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps, but then Burnley certainly have the Premier League in mind next season so be interesting to see how he does if they do get there.

I doubt he's make their 25 man squad

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

When you've improved in each of your previous years, are only 22-23, and hope to keep improving, you'll only be 24-25 at the next contract, better than you are now, worth more money, signing a longer term deal now, may lead to less money in the long run because four year contract sets those wages for four years, a two year deal allows for renegotiations and potentially a lot more money in years three and four in a new contract.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
That would be Mr.Bloom.
I would hazard a guess that Burke does the leg work on any targets, including any contract negotiations and trf prices. Final say on footballing matters will be OG, final say financially will be TB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here