Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think whether he stays here or goes, he has to find out his market wage value.

This could be a prelude to him negotiating a better deal with us than what he was offered last summer.

He has had a really good season so far and has worked hard and honestly for us.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Not loving the probability he'll be playing against in a couple of weeks time!

You just know he's going to score and go on to bigger and better things with another club.... and it's ******** annoying.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
WHEN all our strikers are fit. Hoskins, out indefinitely (possibly retire), CMS been out for a year, with an injury that could seriously impact key parts of his game, and at least 4 weeks away from being near a subs bench.

By that time we could be 15 points adrift from the play offs. But its OK we have £750k in the bank.

Ulloa fit, CMS due to return at the end of this month, Obika here for 3 months and another quality addition likely before the window shuts.... Id suggest we have plenty enough to cope without Barnes.

I think people need to understand this is a business decision rather than a footballing decision, and for me, totally the correct one by those in charge of running the club.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
WHEN all our strikers are fit. Hoskins, out indefinitely (possibly retire), CMS been out for a year, with an injury that could seriously impact key parts of his game, and at least 4 weeks away from being near a subs bench.

By that time we could be 15 points adrift from the play offs. But its OK we have £750k in the bank.

So are we just going to play with ten men then? I think I'd play Ulloa when he is over the shock of Ashley leaving. I may play that young chap who was MoM last time out. I might even play Obika. Then again - perhaps we should go with no striker and play two keepers - that could work.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

We'll have another striker in soon. You are making too many silly assumptions there.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Barnes is the biggest enigma I have ever seen play for Brighton.

I have never felt he is striker. He is a just a hard working utility player who when on form can score goals.

He has limited ball talent, but yet can score great goals, as Bournemouth away shows for example.

He has improved this season in the role of holding the ball up, but never really looks a threat in the way Ulloa does.

He doesn't ever look like a Premiership player.

I suspect in the right type of team he looks good, in the wrong type he looks rubbish.

Overall if he left for a good sum of money I wouldn't be disappointed, and I would be fascinated to see where he goes and how he does. Burnley strike me as a good fit for him, Leeds I think would be a nightmare as I don't think his style would endear himself to the home support.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So are we just going to play with ten men then? I think I'd play Ulloa when he is over the shock of Ashley leaving. I may play that young chap who was MoM last time out. I might even play Obika. Then again - perhaps we should go with no striker and play two keepers - that could work.

best laugh on a bad day:lolol:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
No he wasn't

So are you saying he didn't want to move but didn't sign his new contract offer because he didn't like the terms, but the club wouldn't agree to the terms he wanted?
He must have been aware that the consequences of not reaching agreement with the club over a new contract would mean he would have to leave, so in effect he must have been set on moving on. If he wanted to stay he just had sign a new deal!

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
<<< Peering through curtains for any signs of a removal van >>>

Incidentally, I wonder if any of these players avail themselves of the services of our young winger of the '70s when they up sticks?

DON'T GO ASH........

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
Overall if he left for a good sum of money I wouldn't be disappointed, and I would be fascinated to see where he goes and how he does. Burnley strike me as a good fit for him, Leeds I think would be a nightmare as I don't think his style would endear himself to the home support.

Twitter seems to agree with you - In general Leeds fans underwhelmed by potential signing, Burnley fans delighted

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think whether he stays here or goes, he has to find out his market wage value.

This could be a prelude to him negotiating a better deal with us than what he was offered last summer.

He has had a really good season so far and has worked hard and honestly for us.

He's completed a medical. This is no bluff to force our hand into a better deal.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Barnes is the biggest enigma I have ever seen play for Brighton.

I have never felt he is striker. He is a just a hard working utility player who when on form can score goals.

He has limited ball talent, but yet can score great goals, as Bournemouth away shows for example.

He has improved this season in the role of holding the ball up, but never really looks a threat in the way Ulloa does.

He doesn't ever look like a Premiership player.

I suspect in the right type of team he looks good, in the wrong type he looks rubbish.

He can go, yes, but only if we sign a better player on a permanent contract. Anything less and I will be very disappointed. Why of why are we so shite when it comes to managing and buying strikers?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Something that people seem to be overlooking is that CMS is actually pretty shit.

I've some shit on NSC this week but that is the biggest one yet. He never fitted Gus's tactics, but I can see him working amazing well in Oscar's more direct team.

IF he comes back as fit as he was before, and that is a big if, I can see him having a huge impact for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here