Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes not good enough for the Albion

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great to see him doing well when so many people here said he wasn't good enough for us..

This.

The quiet/quieter majority, especially those who appreciated watching the full Albion career of Barnes at both Withdean & The Amex, appreciated him.

A noisy small minority always slagged him off if we lost, or if he didn't score from a half-chance. Normally the same people who gave CMS every excuse in the book, regarding his far greater deficiencies.

Great to Barnes earning the decent money he deserves and playing for a wholly supportive crowd at Burnley. Well done to Sean Dyche for recognising his worth (unlike the Burke & others failing to live up to their job titles).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Orrr just offer him a new contract that wasn't offensively small? Just like we missed out on Ward for the sake of a few pennies. We are properly SHIT at negotiating.

Can you put some figures to those comments because you seem to be in the know! Do you know what was offered and what his agent was after?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really? How do you know that?

"Good bit of business" is number-crunchers talk. The narrow thinking that sees a club marching down the league.

Better to recognise which players are good for the club, and reward them with decent contracts.

Focusing on spreadsheets and incompetence in recruiting/releasing the wrong players, is a damaging mix.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can you put some figures to those comments because you seem to be in the know! Do you know what was offered and what his agent was after?

A regular poster on here with genuine inside knowledge, informed me that Barnes was on about £4k gross per week when he left, and the club wouldn't improve on that. To benchmark that, CMS & others were/are on £11k or £12k per week, and the Championship average including ALL first team squad players is c. £6.5k per week. You can see why Barnes jumped at a decent offer at Burnley.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Wasn't the case with Barnes that Burnley were interested in the summer of 2013. As the season progressed they looked just as likely as Brighton to at least be in the play-offs and if they were prepared to offer far more than us then why would he stay? If he had been on a longer contract then maybe his fee would have been higher or maybe he would have stayed.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Barnes was a 'marmite' player but should have been retained, at least as a squad player for us.

Combative, scored some vital goals and good in defence. Just the man to put a shift in against plodders like Millwall. Looking at this season he may well have been a regular and certainly couldn't have done worse. Might well have been our leading scorer right now. Good enough for the last two seasons in which we eventually reached the play offs......oh what heady days.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
barnes.png

Giving it the 'cupped ears' celebration to Burnley fans!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Giving it the 'cupped ears' celebration to Burnley fans!

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Are the Burnley fans giving him a bit of stick like some of us used to do?

Jan 10, 2014
No Barnes isn't getting any stick from any section of the home support.

The cupped ears are one of two things...... 1, The atmosphere wasn't great today and he wanted to hear us more, or...2, (the most likely) The pundits and media have wrote us off all season and he's sticking it up them. Danny Ings did the very same thing when he scored against Everton and that was the reason he said that he cupped his ears.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Fantastic commitment from Barnes again although he still frustrates at times. Needless fouls and sometimes he couldn't trap a bag of cement..

Nice to see that his current teams fans share the frustration of those of us who never HATED Barnes but could see his shortcomings.

Never doubted his commitment but he was way overrated by some on here. For whatever reason the Albion offer was way, way short of Burnleys' so the player wanted the offski, the club did the right thing to maximise the return on him.

His goals to games ratio is poor, and yesterdays was described by the BBC commentator 'as taking a fortuitous deflection', in other words the keeper had it covered. Good luck to Barnes, I wish him well, but some on here do need get over their loss, what were they like when they got 'chucked' as a teenager I wonder?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
His goal and celebration vs Arsenal needs to be restored to the pre-match video.

I think that was probably his best game for us. Him and Leo ran their defence ragged.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nice to see that his current teams fans share the frustration of those of us who never HATED Barnes but could see his shortcomings.

Never doubted his commitment but he was way overrated by some on here. For whatever reason the Albion offer was way, way short of Burnleys' so the player wanted the offski, the club did the right thing to maximise the return on him.

His goals to games ratio is poor, and yesterdays was described by the BBC commentator 'as taking a fortuitous deflection', in other words the keeper had it covered. Good luck to Barnes, I wish him well, but some on here do need get over their loss, what were they like when they got 'chucked' as a teenager I wonder?

Poor from someone who played the majority of his games in midfield for us?

I never thought he was brilliant, but he is young and improving and always gave 100% and was prepared to do whatever was needed for the team - hence Gus or Garcia rarely dropped him.

We don't know how much more Burnley offered, but we've just spent £2m on another League One striker who doesn't look up for this level as well as what we spent of COG.

So the club did the right thing letting a player go who appears to be doing a good job in the Premier League only to bring in two players who barely look capable of doing a job in League One. So yes, what a good bit of business...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here