Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes not good enough for the Albion

Jan 10, 2014
Fantastic commitment from Barnes again although he still frustrates at times. Needless fouls and sometimes he couldn't trap a bag of cement.

I mustn't be too critical of him though because generally he's been very good.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
The most embarrassed I've been at The Amex was when Barnes stepped up to take that penalty, during his long scoreless run whilst Ulloa was out last year and there was an audible groan from the crowd as well as isolated pockets of abuse.

He stepped up and buried it. That showed immense character, something I feel our current squad is lacking

Well said and I mirror your sentiments .

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Aaaaah cool, would want to disappoint the sheep,...... but Barnes is old news, our current crop of underperforming prima donnas is of more concern to me at this point in time.

Yeah, right. You're rewriting history there.
When Barnes was here, it seemed like he was your only concern - to the point of obsession...

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Doesn't this just sum up the mentality of many posters on here?
Obsessed with ex players and ex managers when things are going wrong?
If Baldock or colunga were banging them in he wouldn't be mentioned I can assure you...Time for many to grow up and move on as this ridiculous obsession is beyond belief.

Get him back get so and so back bla bla bla...most if not all that do come back are facking shite.

Dont think its obsession just discussion.I might be wrong of course

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Ashley Barnes has just turned 25.

Injuries permitting, he's still got his best years in front of him.

Selling a decent young player for comparatively little didn't make any sense then and makes even less sense now.

albionite

May 20, 2009
I know we are crying out for any striker that can score but let's not make him out to be better than he was. I always thought he had potential but a very frustrating player to watch.

Burnley fans hate him, not sure if they have changed their minds on him recently.( fans change their minds after a couple of goals)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If people want to see some of the thoughts around the Barns deal, might I recommend this thread:
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?293082-Ashley-Barnes-what-would-you-have-done

Do what the club has done. It seems that most agree, which is good to see.

Side note - the club have played a blinder so far in this window with their handling of the bids for Bridcutt, Buckley and Barnes. Thank goodness we have Tony and co at the helm.

I don't think BW is still so fervently behind the board right now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I know we are crying out for any striker that can score but let's not make him out to be better than he was. I always thought he had potential but a very frustrating player to watch.

Burnley fans hate him, not sure if they have changed their minds on him recently.( fans change their minds after a couple of goals)

I don't think any of his supporters are making him out to be a world beater, just that his contribution to this team went unappreciated by a vocal minority. I feel like this is what's going on with JFC at the moment as well.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
He was one of my favorite players during that time a while back when we were a big club...

:moo:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But at the time for me he wasn't good enough and we had better options. Obviously now we require him.

Like a malfunctioning dildo, I'm glad to be generating some pleasure in these dark times

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
He was obviously good enough. He is an excellent forward who brings much more to a team than just knocking in goals. He has energy, a massively high work rate, hassles defenders and was the driving force behind a lot of really good attacking play when he was at Brighton. Something obviously lacking now.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Very much liked AB but think time was right for him to move on and deal was a good one. The fact that we've splashed loads of dosh since then on players who seem incapable of producing anything like a return on investment is a separate, and maddening, issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here