Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Tee Hee. Just seen this was bounced. I really hope it does get bounced forever and I'm proved wrong, but I still think it'll me bouncing it more in the future.

Why everyones thinks I hate Barnes I'm not quite sure, I think he's a lightwight, quite lucky and if he wasn't playing in a team as dominant as us then I'm sure he'd be getting stick from all angles, and a lot worse than I give him. I can't judge him on Saturday, as I wasn't in Bristol, and the next game I can get to is Plymouth which should be interesting!

I can only go by the tv highlights.

BBC Sport - Football - Highlights - Bristol Rovers 2-4 Brighton

His first goal. Great touch, perfect shot, can't fault that. He had space in th box used it and unleashed an unstoppable shot. I could argue though he was luckly to be in that position. I could argue that there was a 70/30 challenge in his favour in the build up, that he jumped out the way of leaving the Brizzie player who was trying to block his touch to play it into Wood's path and that lead to the goal. Chances are if he didnt pull out of the challenge nothing would have come from it. Is that lucky or fortunate.... or even played for?

Bennetts goal - He did his best to fumble the ballwith the first touch, and just got it out on time for Bennett to score. An assit, but hardly the cleanest. A little bit harsh maybe, granted.

The oggy. Great run to beat the trap, I cant argue with that, but never really had the ball under control though, which resulted in a weak shot at the keeper, and it not for a huge dose of luck it would have been just another Ashley Barnes miss.

Now before you all jump and down screaming, I'm not slagging him off, I'm just passing an opinion and giving reasons why. I dont know him to slag him off, he might be the nicest person you could ever meet, he may be a complete arsehole, I don't know him so am not slagging him off, just I think he's a very lucky player, playing in a very dominant side, and I think he would have been replaced had we been able to get someone in, or when we get someone in. I think Poyets comments were made now, as it seems unlikely he'll sign anyone now until the summer, so why not big him up.

Now he may have been imense for the rest of the game on Saturday, and I hope this is bounced forever, and he turs into a legend, but I doubt it. I thought the same as a lot of you earlier in the season, that'll he'll come good and its too soon to judge him. But I still think he very fortunate to be playing in this side and if it weren't for us running away with it, he'd stick out, as it is we are so dominant, a weaker player can get away with things that he wouldn't do in a poorer side.

Now queue the witless one liners. Heard them all before. Until the next bounce. Bonjour!!!!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Lucky 12 times and counting eh Mr Burns! I hope he does the lottery.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He scored for us regularly last season too and we were not the 'dominant side' that you refer to though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He does bottle challenges though. He`s getting better and better though in his all round game.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
While I listened on the radio, I heard the phrase "ashley barnes is fouled" and "ashley goes down, free kick to the albion" quite a few times in the watford and bristol games (don't remember it so much at orient). Which I noted because of a comment from you in this thread about it being ok that murray goes down so much because he at least wins free kicks, whereas barnes doesn't.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Tee Hee. Just seen this was bounced. I really hope it does get bounced forever and I'm proved wrong, but I still think it'll me bouncing it more in the future.

Why everyones thinks I hate Barnes I'm not quite sure, I think he's a lightwight, quite lucky and if he wasn't playing in a team as dominant as us then I'm sure he'd be getting stick from all angles, and a lot worse than I give him. I can't judge him on Saturday, as I wasn't in Bristol, and the next game I can get to is Plymouth which should be interesting!

His first goal. Great touch, perfect shot, can't fault that. He had space in th box used it and unleashed an unstoppable shot. I could argue though he was luckly to be in that position. I could argue that there was a 70/30 challenge in his favour in the build up, that he jumped out the way of leaving the Brizzie player who was trying to block his touch to play it into Wood's path and that lead to the goal. Chances are if he didnt pull out of the challenge nothing would have come from it. Is that lucky or fortunate.... or even played for?

Bennetts goal - He did his best to fumble the ballwith the first touch, and just got it out on time for Bennett to score. An assit, but hardly the cleanest. A little bit harsh maybe, granted.

The oggy. Great run to beat the trap, I cant argue with that, but never really had the ball under control though, which resulted in a weak shot at the keeper, and it not for a huge dose of luck it would have been just another Ashley Barnes miss.

Now before you all jump and down screaming, I'm not slagging him off, I'm just passing an opinion and giving reasons why. I dont know him to slag him off, he might be the nicest person you could ever meet, he may be a complete arsehole, I don't know him so am not slagging him off, just I think he's a very lucky player, playing in a very dominant side, and I think he would have been replaced had we been able to get someone in, or when we get someone in. I think Poyets comments were made now, as it seems unlikely he'll sign anyone now until the summer, so why not big him up.

Now he may have been imense for the rest of the game on Saturday, and I hope this is bounced forever, and he turs into a legend, but I doubt it. I thought the same as a lot of you earlier in the season, that'll he'll come good and its too soon to judge him. But I still think he very fortunate to be playing in this side and if it weren't for us running away with it, he'd stick out, as it is we are so dominant, a weaker player can get away with things that he wouldn't do in a poorer side.

Now queue the witless one liners. Heard them all before. Until the next bounce. Bonjour!!!!

You seem to be in a minority with your view of Barnes as a LUCKY player.
Most on here recognise that he is a talented young player with a lot of potential who is greatly contributing to our dominant position at the top of the table, and who sometimes gets the rub of the green.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You seem to be in a minority with your view of Barnes as a LUCKY player.
Most on here recognise that he is a talented young player with a lot of potential who is greatly contributing to our dominant position at the top of the table, and who sometimes gets the rub of the green.
Sorry, sorry I wasn't going to post until the next bounce, otherwise it will just go on and on in circles, but that made me laugh!!! I'm in a minority who thinks he's lucky.......... yet you say most on here thinks he's someone who sometimes gets the rub of the green!!! LOL

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Why is it people can't disagree with you shortly and succinctly without being witless? Maybe you have heard them all before because you are completely wrong about him. I was at both Watford and Bristol Rovers and he had really good games in both and caused trouble to both defences. However, according to you we basically have ten really good players and somehow Gus hasn't spotted we are carrying one player, Barnes. It just seems a completely irrational view to have.

For someone who says they want Barnes to succeed, you seem to take great pleasure in taking apart everything he does and slagging him off. As with many on here you don't like being proved wrong so carry on slagging off players even when they prove you wrong. As with many people, I don't think Barnes is the finished article, and I doubt he would claim to be. However, there is clearly potential there and he can be a really good player for us. I don't understand why you would start this thread to attack Barnes and then keep coming back to slag him off.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Sorry, sorry I wasn't going to post until the next bounce, otherwise it will just go on and on in circles, but that made me laugh!!! I'm in a minority who thinks he's lucky.......... yet you say most on here thinks he's someone who sometimes gets the rub of the green!!! LOL

I think you will find that all players occasionally get a bit of luck on the pitch, but that doesn't make them LUCKY players.
As the great golfer Gary Player once said when someone made a quip about a " lucky " shot -" The harder I work, the luckier I get "

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Most of the goals Barnes has scored this season have been instinctive strikes rather than pre-determined. The ones I can remember off the top are Exeter (H&A), Oldham and Posh - where he scored with a first-time effort each time. Against Orient and Bris R he controlled it but had to take a quick shot. On top of all that he's had countless efforts (mainly first time) just over the bar or past the post.

It wasn't very surprising when he had time against the Rovers GK that he failed to convert. This is the part of his game that he needs to concentrate on - getting himself composed and focused when he has time. When he gets the hang of that technique he'll be a 30+ goal man - and I doubt that he could have better tutors than our management team.

Oh, and you may have seen Bennett's comments about our front 3 where he singles out Barnes for special praise for his all-round effort - proving that it's not just about the finishing.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Why is it people can't disagree with you shortly and succinctly without being witless? Maybe you have heard them all before because you are completely wrong about him. I was at both Watford and Bristol Rovers and he had really good games in both and caused trouble to both defences. However, according to you we basically have ten really good players and somehow Gus hasn't spotted we are carrying one player, Barnes. It just seems a completely irrational view to have.

For someone who says they want Barnes to succeed, you seem to take great pleasure in taking apart everything he does and slagging him off. As with many on here you don't like being proved wrong so carry on slagging off players even when they prove you wrong. As with many people, I don't think Barnes is the finished article, and I doubt he would claim to be. However, there is clearly potential there and he can be a really good player for us. I don't understand why you would start this thread to attack Barnes and then keep coming back to slag him off.
You've read that wrongl. I dont mean if you reply with one line your witless. I mean the one line quotes like, look at the stats, or go away your boring, that sort of witless reply, so dont make out I think anyone who disagrees with me is witless. And how have I slagged him off, I though I covered that. How is critising someone add up to slagging him off? Someone else bounced it, and I made comments on the goals some good some bad. Why do people automatically thinks thats slagging him off. If I just said hes a **** hes useless, that would be slagging him off. I've tried to make comments on why I said what I said, but for f*** sake don't come on here saying I'm slagging him off, just because I dont kiss his arse.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Most of the goals Barnes has scored this season have been instinctive strikes rather than pre-determined. The ones I can remember off the top are Exeter (H&A), Oldham and Posh - where he scored with a first-time effort each time. Against Orient and Bris R he controlled it but had to take a quick shot. On top of all that he's had countless efforts (mainly first time) just over the bar or past the post.

It wasn't very surprising when he had time against the Rovers GK that he failed to convert. This is the part of his game that he needs to concentrate on - getting himself composed and focused when he has time. When he gets the hang of that technique he'll be a 30+ goal man - and I doubt that he could have better tutors than our management team.

Oh, and you may have seen Bennett's comments about our front 3 where he singles out Barnes for special praise for his all-round effort - proving that it's not just about the finishing.
I agree with that. He does seem to suffer when he has time to think about things. A lot of his goals and near misses you mentioned come from when he has space. But as we progress he's not going to get space. I think ts great the players and managers are publically backing him, shows a great togethernss and team spirit.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You've read that wrongl. I dont mean if you reply with one line your witless. I mean the one line quotes like, look at the stats, or go away your boring, that sort of witless reply, so dont make out I think anyone who disagrees with me is witless. And how have I slagged him off, I though I covered that. How is critising someone add up to slagging him off? Someone else bounced it, and I made comments on the goals some good some bad. Why do people automatically thinks thats slagging him off. If I just said hes a **** hes useless, that would be slagging him off. I've tried to make comments on why I said what I said, but for f*** sake don't come on here saying I'm slagging him off, just because I dont kiss his arse.

Criticism is constructive. It is not one long rant about the all round game of our joint top scorer, who as has been said numerous times on this thread is only 21. It may be nothing personal, although judging by your comments it wouldn't surprise me if he has done something to upset you, but it is totally unnecessary and I genuinely don't understand what it achieves. Obviously I have players I rate more highly than others but I want all Brighton players to succeed. I do doubt whether that is the case with you and some other people on here. You would rather be proved right so you can bounce this thread in a year's time and say I told you so. To be honest it is pathetic.

To answer your snide comment at the end, I don't think any of the people on this thread who disagree with you are kissing his arse. Maybe we just feel that we should support the players who play for the team we support. Why not try to do the same?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Just thank to f*** and all the way back again that Gus fundamentally and diametrically disagrees with you Burnsy.
Funny thing is, when I sit at games, I call most of Gus' subtituations, pick the same team as him most of the time. He let Kuipers, Virgo and Cox go, as I would, mind you he did keep Gary Hart!! lol But on Barnes I don't get it. I know Barnes is all he's got, and Barnes is his third choice and he still wants a new striker, but the good lord and me don't agree on that one!!

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

I know you are on a wind up, or joking, but these are two of the funniest points I have ever seen made on NSC. The first one in particular is a real epic.

Lucky to be in that position? Lucky bounce in the build up? Brilliant. Quite brilliant. That's not even taking into account your thoughts on Barnes' part in one of the goals of the season, the vision and inch-perfect pass. Well done Sir.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Maybe we just feel that we should support the players who play for the team we support. Why not try to do the same?
Thats an old old line. I wonder if you typed that into search how many threads that would throw up. (waits for someone to do it). These are the witless lines I refered to earlier. Just so cliched.

For the record I do support him at the games. I support the team at games. If I hear someone slagging any player of at the ground including Barnes I'll defend the players. I was one of those who made a big deal about the twats in the south moaning about the passing game earlier in the season. So I wouldn't say its fair to say someone doesnt support the team or players, because they have different views about them. But I thought a discussion board was to discuss things about the games and players though. Maybe not. Because you dont rate a player, doesn't mean you don't support them. As I said I hope he goes on to be a legend. I just dont think he will be near the team next season, and if we can't discuss players and the club on here, whats the point of the forum?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here