Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Most of the goals Barnes has scored this season have been instinctive strikes rather than pre-determined. The ones I can remember off the top are Exeter (H&A), Oldham and Posh - where he scored with a first-time effort each time. Against Orient and Bris R he controlled it but had to take a quick shot. On top of all that he's had countless efforts (mainly first time) just over the bar or past the post.

It wasn't very surprising when he had time against the Rovers GK that he failed to convert. This is the part of his game that he needs to concentrate on - getting himself composed and focused when he has time. When he gets the hang of that technique he'll be a 30+ goal man - and I doubt that he could have better tutors than our management team.

Oh, and you may have seen Bennett's comments about our front 3 where he singles out Barnes for special praise for his all-round effort - proving that it's not just about the finishing.

So, you cite in two games he controlled and took a shot, plus three penalties converted. I can't remember all his other goals, but there's five out of twelve in which he had time to think about it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I know you are on a wind up, or joking, but these are two of the funniest points I have ever seen made on NSC. The first one in particular is a real epic.

Lucky to be in that position? Lucky bounce in the build up? Brilliant. Quite brilliant. That's not even taking into account your thoughts on Barnes' part in one of the goals of the season, the vision and inch-perfect pass. Well done Sir.
You an MP? Bit of a good reply there. I did say I was being harsh on the second goal. But I didnt say he was lucky with his positioning as it appears you are saying. I said the finish on the first one was class, perfect. Can you watch that video, and honestly say he never pulled out of a tackle that was heavily in his favour, and Brizzie player wasn't very unfortaunte becuase of that in laying the ball to Wood? He was lucky that the move even started and only did because he pulled out of a tackle, so he was lucky to be in A postion that the ball went forward, not lucky to be in the position when he received the ball, I hold my hands up there, he done well with the first goal, just very fortunate the move actually got started.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So, you cite in two games he controlled and took a shot, plus three penalties converted. I can't remember all his other goals, but there's five out of twelve in which he had time to think about it.
Gotta agree there on one point. The boy can sure take a penalty.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Gotta agree there on one point. The boy can sure take a penalty.

Seems he is the ONLY one who can take a penalty (tho I know Sandaza fancies it)...when Barnes isnt on the pitch I worry that the inevitable miss will happen.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

I'm not sure against Orient that he did 'control' it - it seemed to come off him but loop up so that he could have another crack (first time) which he scored with. As for the pens, that's a different technique and mindset altogether. I'm sure there are psychologists around who've written theses on penalty taking/takers and would be better placed to talk about that art.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
In seriousness though, how many goals does he need to get this season in order to please you?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
In seriousness though, how many goals does he need to get this season in order to please you?

Its not just about goals for me. In a team like ours, goals will come, its about his all round game. When our dominance dries up, so will the chances, and so will the goals. I think when the going gets tougher, Barnes is going to stick out like a sore thumb

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Its not just about goals for me. In a team like ours, goals will come, its about his all round game. When our dominance dries up, so will the chances, and so will the goals. I think when the going gets tougher, Barnes is going to stick out like a sore thumb

Oh good God. What do you mean when the going gets tougher? What do you mean when our dominance dries up? Are you serious - I'm asking because I'm not sure you can be. Poyet is singling the guy out for particular praise because of what he has brought to the team over a consistent period of time. His work-rate is phenomenal, his finishing is getting better and better, he is a real presence in the air now (not in the class of Murray) and his ability to find other players, hold the ball up but also know when to run with it is improving fantastically.

I just can't believe you are for real.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Funny thing is, when I sit at games, I call most of Gus' subtituations, pick the same team as him most of the time. He let Kuipers, Virgo and Cox go, as I would, mind you he did keep Gary Hart!! lol But on Barnes I don't get it. I know Barnes is all he's got, and Barnes is his third choice and he still wants a new striker, but the good lord and me don't agree on that one!!

Yet he is still picking Barnes when his preferred option is to only play two strikers - Wood and Murray.

It's not as though he is forced to pick him either.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Are you and samtheseagull one and the same (you've got exactly the same level of 5th form pupil negativity) - and that your ding-dong with him yesterday was all a big sham?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It is going to be interesting to see who starts saturday.I reckon Barnes will start with both Wood and Murray and Noone will come on later when the game gets stretched. It would be hard on Barnes if he is benched after saturdays showing.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
You can't have seen much of the back half of last season then. As I recall we were struggling at the wrong end of the table trying to get away from relegation and a certain Ashley Barnes bagged 4 goals in 8 games (only 4 of which were starts). However don't let the facts get in the way of your personal agenda

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Are you and samtheseagull one and the same (you've got exactly the same level of 5th form pupil negativity) - and that your ding-dong with him yesterday was all a big sham?

i am not negitive, in fact im usally over positive about the albion. all i said yesturday is that i was worried about losing some of our best players on bosman's.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This thread defines why you don't judge a player on one performance...

I agree. Not just this but the fact that Barnes has been exceptional for 90% of our games since Christmas and the only one's he's been not so good in have been the ones when the team as a whole failed.

This thread will live on for as long as Barnes is at the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here