Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’m told the OP is still here, but had to come back under a new ID out of embarrassment. Being thick, I can’t work out who it is.

OK so it's part of a private joke. Fine, but to a degree he was right. Ash played a lot of games for us and never got to anywhere like the levels that he has now got to for Burnley. Some negative comments at the time were warranted. Not trying to re-open another argument about it as he hasn't played for us for years, so I find going on about him a bit pointless other than to be happy for him at how his career developed .. but again, it's the right time for Ash now, with the right manager and the right colleagues etc etc etc etc

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m told the OP is still here, but had to come back under a new ID out of embarrassment. Being thick, I can’t work out who it is.

:lolol:

I have no idea either, and am happy to let his present self be, albeit his previous self should be regularly taken out and paraded around NSC like a bitch Boris in a gimp suit. :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
OK so it's part of a private joke. Fine, but to a degree he was right. Ash played a lot of games for us and never got to anywhere like the levels that he has now got to for Burnley. Some negative comments at the time were warranted. Not trying to re-open another argument about it as he hasn't played for us for years, so I find going on about him a bit pointless other than to be happy for him at how his career developed .. but again, it's the right time for Ash now, with the right manager and the right colleagues etc etc etc etc

The OP was in Jan 11, when 20 year old Ashley Barnes was on fire, propelling us to a famous title (6th biggest L1 budget) with Muzza.

That’s bizarre, I guess which is why the OP was beasted and disappeared?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm slightly confused why this thread has gone on for so long. Players come and go. Sometimes, they bloom late, sometimes they excel in a particular environment for a particular manager.

It's fair to say that Dyche has got way more out of him than Poyet did. But Poyet got more out of, say Bridcutt, than Dyche probably would have done. Again, right time, right manager, right formation, right environment.

Ash gone to another club and done really well. I don't really see why we need to go on about it

Ashley Barnes scored 20 goals for us in the 2010/11 season when this thread started. The OP was he wasn't nearly good enough for us (in league 1).
Many a league 1 team longs for a 20 goal a season striker, so Poyet got plenty out of Barnes.
Unfortunately the recruitment team ie Burke, let Poyet down in the Chsmpionship, by
1) offering Barnes a derisory contract
2) not finding a decent left sided midfielder so Barnes had to play there instead of his preferred striker role.

Burnley offered a better contract & a better position.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm slightly confused why this thread has gone on for so long. Players come and go. Sometimes, they bloom late, sometimes they excel in a particular environment for a particular manager.

It's fair to say that Dyche has got way more out of him than Poyet did. But Poyet got more out of, say Bridcutt, than Dyche probably would have done. Again, right time, right manager, right formation, right environment.

Ash gone to another club and done really well. I don't really see why we need to go on about it

For me, it's just a bit of a laugh and not to be taken seriously. It now, when bounced, bares a very tenuous link to the OP – apart from when people misunderstand that and bring up the same old arguments, stats and history :lol:

Now, I just see it as a reminder of when AB scores. For me, the subsequent fall-out is part of the entertainment. Soz and that :shrug:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Mr Burns - never a positive thing to say about the club if I remember that correctly. I'm tempted to say Spence but his bitterness seems to stem from his love of all things Huoghton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mr Burns - never a positive thing to say about the club if I remember that correctly. I'm tempted to say Spence but his bitterness seems to stem from his love of all things Huoghton

No, Spence's previous username was algie.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
No doubt that Barnes has been a very good player, but I'm surprised they ranked him above Ben Mee. They've played the same number of Premier League games, though Mee has racked up far more minutes and also contributed a lot more to the two promotions. (Barnes was sub for one promotion and injured for the other.)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
i thought the OP was having a dig at all the moaners tbh..:shrug:

No. That's like saying you thought Farage just wanted to discuss the possibility of varying the EU fishing quotas a bit.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ashley Barnes is nearly good enough for us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m not sure Ashley Barnes - who was on an 17 game goal drought is what we need

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Whatever happened to the insightful Mr Burns? He always had so much to say. And then so quiet.
I wonder what he'd make of our current situation. Maybe he's reading this......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports