Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
If Barnes was a bit more disciplined he would improve a lot. He is getting silly yellow cards and acting hard-done-by whenever he doesn't receive a free kick. I'm sure this will improve with age and experience, but he does have moments where he looks like he could become a fantastic asset for us, certain goals like the one against Bristol Rovers last season, or performances like those against Exeter earlier in the month and against Brentford earlier in the season.

We haven't got anyone better than him or Wood to partner Murray which is why Gus is still looking for a striker. As you say, Gus is a god, so we should trust him in playing Barnes as he sees something in him, as he has tried to prove by scoring 10 times already. He can also score penalties, which is quite an uncommon trait amongst Brighton players this season :laugh:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Goalscoring is instinctive, not something that can be learnt....end of
Which Barnes has? Hence his...goals?

You can insult me with the age thing (and I aint that old), of course you can, as it stops you answering the main point in the thread... again. Typical student reply. Are you studing politics. You'd be good at it. Answer the debate until you cant or dont want to, and then just try and change the subject. And is fuckwit your favourite word?
Ha, hypocrite alert. "You're failing to make any point by calling me old, but you're a typical student, pah!" Your verbal prang of KneeOn was based on age, so if you object to it so much why did you randomly change the subject to being a student or not in the first place? If you want to have a sensible discussion then do it, but don't rant, change your point from post to post and then resort to name-calling when people don't agree with you.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What gets on my goat is the snide sneering nature about the lad that bring into your posts.
What cause I called him a tart or said he's scared of his own shadow. He is. Its not snide, just one way of putting it. If your on a traingin ground or pitch, and own of your own players goes down an moans, you tell them to get up and stop being a tart. Doesn't mean your being snide or dont like them, your just calling them a tart. You are reading too much into it.

I doubt it most people would take it as snide.
Do I like AShley Barnes? Dunno, dont know him.
Do I think he could be a better player?Yes.
Do I think he will be. No.
You can't teach bravery, and you cant teach positional sense/reading the game. He's 21, not 16. If he was going to be able to improve on the things I think he lacks, he'd have done it already. It it was his passing or shooting or heading that needed improving, I'd say we've got a great player on our hands, but the fact in my opinion its his bravery and postional play and reading of the game that needs improving, says to me we shouldn't waste our time with him, because he aint got that by 21, he's never going to have, and maybe thats why his only start for a while in the league is probably largly down to contract issues with another player at the club. I'm sure Gus sees it, otherwise why play and improve a WBA player and not our own.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Which Barnes has? Hence his...goals?

Ha, hypocrite alert. "You're failing to make any point by calling me old, but you're a typical student, pah!" Your verbal prang of KneeOn was based on age, so if you object to it so much why did you randomly change the subject to being a student or not in the first place? If you want to have a sensible discussion then do it, but don't rant, change your point from post to post and then resort to name-calling when people don't agree with you.
Excuse me. I wasn't the one igoring the posts and trying to change the subject. What as age got to do with anything. Students can be old as well as young I think you'll find. A sensible discussion would have been the poster answering the main point of the thread, not making so silly comment about one tiny part of it and ignroing the rest... ok

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
You can insult me with the age thing (and I aint that old), of course you can, as it stops you answering the main point in the thread... again. Typical student reply. Are you studing politics. You'd be good at it. Answer the debate until you cant or dont want to, and then just try and change the subject. And is fuckwit your favourite word?

Firstly yes, right now fuckwit is the word that is most satisfying to say apart from **** which people take a lot of exception to.

Secondly yes i do study politics, in fact I got an A at AS and i'm predicted A (on my UCAS form at least) for A2.
Thirdly learn what politics is about before using it against me, you don't debate/dodge the question. The only debate you can possibly have in a politics exam is a synoptic debate comparing and contrasting different views on an issue such as the constitution, or judicial philosophy.

Finally, if you're going to insult my status as a student as a typical student response then you don't know many students, you believe the shit fed to you about us (which shows a clear lack of judgement - explaining this thread) and you're a fuckwit.

NEXT.

I've explained why Barnes is a good player. Not only does his statistical record speak for its self, he can be attributed to at least 3 points (which you may or may not know - that is how much we are clear of second at the moment)and is showing signs that he can play off of Murray. Regardless of what you think, 10 goals by the end of January is not easy at professional level, and your tap in statement frankly is the kind of thing I said to my dad when i was about 7 watching soccer AM's goals of the week. I wondered why a tap in would be there. Its the build up, and the movement of the player quite often. You have to be there to get a chance and Barnes is more often that not there.

So there, that is answering your ultimate point. Barnes is an asset. Murray more so, but you cannot say that Barnes is not as good as Hart. That's just so stupid to say, Hart has a different role now as it is.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Mr Burns, nobody disagrees with you in saying that Murray is the better player of the two. But Barnes is an asset to our team. You say people only use his goals as their argument, well I'm still struggling to see what your point is? You clearly don't like him so you moan about everything he does. What exactly IS it you're looking for in a striker? Only I look for someone who scores goals. And he scores them. So he is useful to our team. Rather than thinking, "sure, he scores, but he isn't strong, so he's SHIT!!", which seems to be the gist of your argument?
But he only scores a fraction of what he could, if he put himself a bit. Its fine to be a winger and be a bottle, but you can't be a striker or you get talked out of the game, as what happens with Barnes. Could you imagine what would happen is Greer turned his back, and cowered out of 70/30 tackles. If Barnes was willing to put himself about, he could turn out to be a great player, but all hte time he dangles his boot in and goes half heartly for tackles, he's going to end up in non league or in the hospital, and if you saw the challenge he pulled out of yesterday, you too would say he was very very lucky not to have his leg broke in the second half.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Taking penalties (and converting them) takes bottle and balls. Fair play to KneeOn for attempting to debate with you Mr Burns. I couldn't be bothered to argue with your obvious predjudice and short sightedness.

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
cant be arsed to read 7 pages of binfest but how many goals does the boy have to score before people will shut the f*** up about Barnes! he scores goals, he sets goals up, he's young and he cost about 60K!!

Logging off so I aint gonna listen to any shitty moaning from nobbers on here.

Peace out!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Secondly yes i do study politics, in fact I got an A at AS and i'm predicted A (on my UCAS form at least) for A2.

I've explained why Barnes is a good player. Not only does his statistical record speak for its self, he can be attributed to at least 3 points (which you may or may not know - that is how much we are clear of second at the moment)and is showing signs that he can play off of Murray.
So there, that is answering your ultimate point. Barnes is an asset. Murray more so, but you cannot say that Barnes is not as good as Hart. That's just so stupid to say, Hart has a different role now as it is.
Funny how I pick up on you being a politial student just from your answers on this thread. You should have a good career in it.

If you could put Harts hart(excuse the pun) with Barnes ability, you'd have a great player. But as Hart and El Abd has proved, player with less raw ability, go further than players without gut and drive about them, which is why Hart is still knocking around well past his sell by date, and why El Abd has gone from most people idea of a joke, to one the the best players at the club, and why Barnes will no doubt be knocking around the lower league or non leagie, when he could have done so much better.

But to repeat the point you avioded with your politial know how. If he starts Tuesday, and I seriously doubt he will. Watch him.

Watch Murray, watch Noone watch Wood read the game. Watch how when the ball is in the air or along the ground coming towards them, they set themselves, they receive the ball in there head, before its got to them. When it arrives, they are backing into a defender holding it up, flicking it around a defender, basicallly ready to do something with the ball.

Then watch Barnes, he'll react after the balls got to him, which means he's normally out of position. It means he adjusting himself to get to the ball, and nine times out of ten, the ball coming back at us, whereas the others mentioned are using to the ball to our attacking advantage, having already set themselves. How many times this season has the ball been played to Barnes who then reacts as its gone by him, not reacting to why the ball is going to go. He doesn't read the game.

Just watch him, and don't get blinded by the facts if he scores a penalty or get a tap in of the back of someones hard work. Watch his moment, his reading of the game, and then come back here and tell me hes good enough to play in a League one side at the top of the league. If Murray goes or sits on the bench, and we have to relay on Barnes for the rest of hte season, we're in trouble.

If Barnes scores a hat trick on Tuesday, I'll be delighted. But it won't change my opinion that he's not good enough for us, and he should be doing so much better if the rest of his game is lacking. Because it'll be a flash in the pan.

If his positional play reading of the game, reacting before things happen, and not after, and doesn't score at all, I'll be a lot happier.... if we still win of course.

Lewes' best seagull

Jan 31, 2008
For the Stat lovers who think stats are the ONLY way to judge a player. Recent games since November where AShley Barnes has started

WIN at Exeter on November 2nd
DRAW to Woking
LOST to Hartlepool
DRAW to Woking
DRAW to Bristol Rovers
DRAW to Southampton
DRAW to FC United
WIN over 10 men Pomey
LOST to Bournemouth

Barnes Sub or not in squad

WIN over Exeter
WIN over FC United
LOST to Huddersfield (our total boogey team)
DRAW (Many treated like a WIN) to Charlton
WIN over Leyton Orient
WIN over Peterborough

Wins since November with Barnes starting 22.22%

Wins since November with Barnes not starting 66.66%

As I said. You can say anything with poxy stats

So you're counting Exeter as a negative impact upon Barnes when he changed the game by scoring and getting an assist?

Also, why not use the stats from the whole of the season? Shirley that would be more (too) reliable.

Some people on here need to get realistic, we're halfway through the season and people are saying we need to get rid of one of our top strikers. Barnes has 10 goals so far in half the season, so therefore he is likely to get 20 goals this season, making him a 20 GOAL-A-SEASON MAN that everyone has been HARKING on about for the past year.

What with Murray definitely leaving because I didn't see him clap me when I opened a tin of beans this morning we're going to need Barnes even more.

GET REAL.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
Before you say, oh another thread about Barnes, than don't read or post in it.
Before you quote stats, don't. Stick to the stat filled PC Manager games

But I thought earlier in the season that Barnes was not up to wearing the stripes, and after watching him numerous times, yesterdays performance at Bournemouth proved to me that he is out of his depth, and is never going to be the half decent striker we hope he will become, unless he toughens up and grows a pair of bollocks.

Strikers, like central defenders need to be able to take a whack and dish one out, otherwise they won't make it in 99% of cases. Look at Al Abd. He aint performing like he is because of his skill. He wins the battle with most strikers in the first ten minutes of a game. Barnes yesterday was a complete waste of space and was very lucky not to leave the ground in an Ambulance. Just compare him to Murray. Nearly every time Murray goes up for a header, he wins it. Even when he completely missed a flick on yesterday, the defenders marking him flicked it on for him. They are so worried about Murray they make mistakes. When Barnes goes up for a header, its half hearted, going through the motions. He hardly ever wins any, and all you see from him is a cowardly pulling in of the shoulder and ducking his head out of the way. Its the same with tackles, he dangles a leg, and never makes a hard challenge. He must be a center half's dream too play against. When the Bournemouth center half's saw the team yesterday, they must have been pissing themselves laughing. Instead of having Murray who was going to be a danger all afternoon, they had to put up with Barnes, who's only danger to them was going to be getting a headache from all his whining. Refs are never going to give Barnes a 50/50 decision, because they can see the way he plays. He always looking to get out of the way and go down before the balls near him. BE honest, how many of think of Barnes, and see a picture in your mind of him sitting on his arse, arms out by his side with a look of disbelief on his face because he didn't get a free kick?

He was so lucky yesterday when he was on the receiving end of that second half crunching tackle, that his leg wasn't snapped in two. The first thing you teach a player, is never pull out of a tackle, or never just dangle your leg at a tackle, as you are a lot more in danger of getting seriously injured, then if you tackle hard yourself. When he got hit, I honestly though he'd broke his leg, and if he carries on like that it wont belong before a career ending injury comes along.

The boy is just too lightweight for pro football, and all the time he has a hole in his arse he wont make it. He'll find his level in the conference within a couple of years. Unless of course he learns to toughen up, but in most cases you cannot teach someone bottle, you either have bottle or you don't. You can get away with being and playing like a tart in some positions, but not as a striker. I think his only hope to go and do a bit of UFC training and learn to overcome his weakness and tartness, and learn how to take a whack.

In addition to his weak challenging at headers and that near leg breaking tackle, did you notice that when he an Murray& Barnes broke yesterday and Murray squared it, Barnes went hiding behind the defender. Murray squared it, and Barnes was nowhere. If he had done as he was meant to do and get in front of the defender, he would have either got a shot and probably scored, or got fouled and got a penalty. Either way he'd have got a whack, so that probably why he went and hid behind the defender, where he was nice and safe. The only way we would have scored there was an own goal, or if the defender fluffed it. But, no he'll wait for the unchallenged chances too add to his goal tally.

Now before people quote his stats, I think any other striker at the club could match these or better his goal tally given the game time and position Barnes has had this season. I even think if you got an old pro like John Byrne, he'd have easily matched Barnes tally, even without playing or training for 10 years. What I'm saying is, even through Barnes is the second highest scorer, any striker given Barnes' chances would easily match it. As a team we have been creating so much, we could have doubled our goal tally with the right striker this season.

You've just gotta take a look at the amount of chances Barnes as missed, most of which, I think is down to his bottle. I haven't looked, but I bet a lot of Barnes goals have been from unchallenged shots. No doubt he can strike a good shot when given time, and if football was a non contact sport, he'd be one of the best, but its not, and he's not.

I still see Murray just as much as a provider than a scorer if not more the provider, and I think the way the game turned at Bournemouth when he come on yesterday proves it. He'll chase things down, get stuck it and create chances of others, and cause defences problems, whereas Barnes isn't gong to cause any defence problems. I bet if you went back to yesterdays game, Barnes took a whack and threats from a defender early on, and after that he was shit scared of getting involved, and until he can learn to toughen up a bit, his only hope is to become a winger or he will fade away, and if he doesn't learn to toughen up then I hope he fades away sooner rather than later, because without a player like Murray in the side, he is a waste of space, and if I was a player of Murrays ability, and got dropped for Ashley Barnes yesterday, I'd tell Gus where to stick his new contract.... (although obviously in a nice way because of Gus' god like status, I wouldn't be rude too him at it!!)

I tried to read this essay you decided to lumber this board with but i couldn't. The thread title is enough for me. You sir are an uttr TOOL and can f*** off. Thank you x

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Funny how I pick up on you being a politial student just from your answers on this thread. You should have a good career in it.

If you could put Harts hart(excuse the pun) with Barnes ability, you'd have a great player. But as Hart and El Abd has proved, player with less raw ability, go further than players without gut and drive about them, which is why Hart is still knocking around well past his sell by date, and why El Abd has gone from most people idea of a joke, to one the the best players at the club, and why Barnes will no doubt be knocking around the lower league or non leagie, when he could have done so much better.

But to repeat the point you avioded with your politial know how. If he starts Tuesday, and I seriously doubt he will. Watch him.

Watch Murray, watch Noone watch Wood read the game. Watch how when the ball is in the air or along the ground coming towards them, they set themselves, they receive the ball in there head, before its got to them. When it arrives, they are backing into a defender holding it up, flicking it around a defender, basicallly ready to do something with the ball.

Then watch Barnes, he'll react after the balls got to him, which means he's normally out of position. It means he adjusting himself to get to the ball, and nine times out of ten, the ball coming back at us, whereas the others mentioned are using to the ball to our attacking advantage, having already set themselves. How many times this season has the ball been played to Barnes who then reacts as its gone by him, not reacting to why the ball is going to go. He doesn't read the game.

Just watch him, and don't get blinded by the facts if he scores a penalty or get a tap in of the back of someones hard work. Watch his moment, his reading of the game, and then come back here and tell me hes good enough to play in a League one side at the top of the league. If Murray goes or sits on the bench, and we have to relay on Barnes for the rest of hte season, we're in trouble.

If Barnes scores a hat trick on Tuesday, I'll be delighted. But it won't change my opinion that he's not good enough for us, and he should be doing so much better if the rest of his game is lacking. Because it'll be a flash in the pan.

If his positional play reading of the game, reacting before things happen, and not after, and doesn't score at all, I'll be a lot happier.... if we still win of course.

Firstly: bull shit. That means, because i've got a lot of heart and love BHAFC, i could go further than say, Mitch Walker, Josh James for example who are both technically much better than me (and if they ARE fans then i'm not looking to insult them) but my love for the albion and willingness to put my self on the line for them... means i'll get to walk out on the pitch at Falmer? No.

Secondly i'm not going Tuesday despite having a Season Ticket, times are tough and I forgot i had a match. I'm booked in to do an extra shift at work.

Thirdly, Wood, Murray and to a lesser extend Noone are all able at holding a ball up. Thats how they play. You might as well ask why the hell does El-abd not try more step overs and beat players with his pace? Thats just not El Abd. Holding the ball up is just not Barnes

Fourth: :eek: SHOCK HORROR - A PLAYER WAITS TO GET THE BALL BEFORE DOING SOMETHING WITH IT D: Get with it. Murray is often offside because of the very reasons you mention. Wood has wasted chances and lost the ball because he tried to move before he got the ball. Barnes can run with the ball at his feet faster than most opponents can flat out sprint. Thats how he works. To do that... guess what! HE NEEDS THE BALL.

Fifth: Okay i'll ignore the fact he scores goals, because thats not one of the most important things a small striker like him does now is it. Its just something extra. They should be winning the game from midfield. Right? Murray might flick a ball down for him, Noone might crosse the ball in to him. He might have to just put a side foot to the ball and stroke it in. He has to beat his marker, or run fast enough to lose him, or run in to a space he will be unmarked. IF that is all he does, to get the goal then as long as we score thats enough. He can only do what is given to him, if he gets given tap ins to score thats all he needs to do but his winner at Exeter showed he can do more than just these tap ins you mention.

Six: If he scores a hattrick and you're not going to change your opinion that his way of playing is working, you are a fuckwit of a magnitute NSC hasn't ever seen. And that includes the Jamie fella.

Seven: Why can't you just be happy we are winning with the system that is working where we have a player who scores 10 goals by January, one off of our best attacker Murray, while we sit pretty 3 points potentially 9 after games in hand go our way?

I've answered every point. I type fast, the reason i argue certian points is because i cannot be arsed to sit down, while trying to play a game, revise, facebook, etc etc to debate every letter you type.

Sorry if i decide to focus on the thing i can argue best against.

EDIT: This post is littered with spelling mistakes. Lately i'm starting to spell check but the time it took for me to write, i can't be arsed. Enjoy.

Also your "you could have a career in it". I'm not going in to politics, i take computing too and will do that instead. Also you say you could tell i'm political by my responses. Are you show its not the highly political sig i have, along with the debates/binfests i have on here after most protests?

No no, you're right. YOu're a genius.

Amex_Charlie

Dec 17, 2010
Brighton
Before you say, oh another thread about Barnes, than don't read or post in it.
Before you quote stats, don't. Stick to the stat filled PC Manager games

But I thought earlier in the season that Barnes was not up to wearing the stripes, and after watching him numerous times, yesterdays performance at Bournemouth proved to me that he is out of his depth, and is never going to be the half decent striker we hope he will become, unless he toughens up and grows a pair of bollocks.

Strikers, like central defenders need to be able to take a whack and dish one out, otherwise they won't make it in 99% of cases. Look at Al Abd. He aint performing like he is because of his skill. He wins the battle with most strikers in the first ten minutes of a game. Barnes yesterday was a complete waste of space and was very lucky not to leave the ground in an Ambulance. Just compare him to Murray. Nearly every time Murray goes up for a header, he wins it. Even when he completely missed a flick on yesterday, the defenders marking him flicked it on for him. They are so worried about Murray they make mistakes. When Barnes goes up for a header, its half hearted, going through the motions. He hardly ever wins any, and all you see from him is a cowardly pulling in of the shoulder and ducking his head out of the way. Its the same with tackles, he dangles a leg, and never makes a hard challenge. He must be a center half's dream too play against. When the Bournemouth center half's saw the team yesterday, they must have been pissing themselves laughing. Instead of having Murray who was going to be a danger all afternoon, they had to put up with Barnes, who's only danger to them was going to be getting a headache from all his whining. Refs are never going to give Barnes a 50/50 decision, because they can see the way he plays. He always looking to get out of the way and go down before the balls near him. BE honest, how many of think of Barnes, and see a picture in your mind of him sitting on his arse, arms out by his side with a look of disbelief on his face because he didn't get a free kick?

100% True Murray Is the one to take us foward. as far as im concerned stats mean nothing. his work rate is crap

He was so lucky yesterday when he was on the receiving end of that second half crunching tackle, that his leg wasn't snapped in two. The first thing you teach a player, is never pull out of a tackle, or never just dangle your leg at a tackle, as you are a lot more in danger of getting seriously injured, then if you tackle hard yourself. When he got hit, I honestly though he'd broke his leg, and if he carries on like that it wont belong before a career ending injury comes along.

The boy is just too lightweight for pro football, and all the time he has a hole in his arse he wont make it. He'll find his level in the conference within a couple of years. Unless of course he learns to toughen up, but in most cases you cannot teach someone bottle, you either have bottle or you don't. You can get away with being and playing like a tart in some positions, but not as a striker. I think his only hope to go and do a bit of UFC training and learn to overcome his weakness and tartness, and learn how to take a whack.

In addition to his weak challenging at headers and that near leg breaking tackle, did you notice that when he an Murray& Barnes broke yesterday and Murray squared it, Barnes went hiding behind the defender. Murray squared it, and Barnes was nowhere. If he had done as he was meant to do and get in front of the defender, he would have either got a shot and probably scored, or got fouled and got a penalty. Either way he'd have got a whack, so that probably why he went and hid behind the defender, where he was nice and safe. The only way we would have scored there was an own goal, or if the defender fluffed it. But, no he'll wait for the unchallenged chances too add to his goal tally.

Now before people quote his stats, I think any other striker at the club could match these or better his goal tally given the game time and position Barnes has had this season. I even think if you got an old pro like John Byrne, he'd have easily matched Barnes tally, even without playing or training for 10 years. What I'm saying is, even through Barnes is the second highest scorer, any striker given Barnes' chances would easily match it. As a team we have been creating so much, we could have doubled our goal tally with the right striker this season.

You've just gotta take a look at the amount of chances Barnes as missed, most of which, I think is down to his bottle. I haven't looked, but I bet a lot of Barnes goals have been from unchallenged shots. No doubt he can strike a good shot when given time, and if football was a non contact sport, he'd be one of the best, but its not, and he's not.

I still see Murray just as much as a provider than a scorer if not more the provider, and I think the way the game turned at Bournemouth when he come on yesterday proves it. He'll chase things down, get stuck it and create chances of others, and cause defences problems, whereas Barnes isn't gong to cause any defence problems. I bet if you went back to yesterdays game, Barnes took a whack and threats from a defender early on, and after that he was shit scared of getting involved, and until he can learn to toughen up a bit, his only hope is to become a winger or he will fade away, and if he doesn't learn to toughen up then I hope he fades away sooner rather than later, because without a player like Murray in the side, he is a waste of space, and if I was a player of Murrays ability, and got dropped for Ashley Barnes yesterday, I'd tell Gus where to stick his new contract.... (although obviously in a nice way because of Gus' god like status, I wouldn't be rude too him at it!!)

100% true

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So you're counting Exeter as a negative impact upon Barnes when he changed the game by scoring and getting an assist?

Also, why not use the stats from the whole of the season? Shirley that would be more (too) reliable.

Some people on here need to get realistic, we're halfway through the season and people are saying we need to get rid of one of our top strikers. Barnes has 10 goals so far in half the season, so therefore he is likely to get 20 goals this season, making him a 20 GOAL-A-SEASON MAN that everyone has been HARKING on about for the past year.

What with Murray definitely leaving because I didn't see him clap me when I opened a tin of beans this morning we're going to need Barnes even more.

GET REAL.
No, you need to have read through it for this to make sense. Most peoples only argument was that hes scored 10 goals and stats dont lie. That above proves you can use stats to say anything. Off course for a true reflection I should use the whole season. But for a true reflection of a player, I think you need to read past his most important stats and look at the actual player. As I have said before, if/when we are in the championship and Barnes chances and goals dry up, all things being equal he'll probably be on three or four goals at that standard instead of ten now, and everyone who rates him now because he has 10, will be hammering him becuase he may only have four, but he'll still be the same player. If you see what I'm trying to say.

It the same as we win three on the trot, we are the greatest and the best management ever. If we lose a few everyones a **** and should be sacked. Thats' what a lot of posters on here are like. Very short term views and opinions.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It is possible that Barnes will become a good alround player but we cant afford to play him this season which could result in us missing out on promotion, it would be best if we loan him out to a second division team until such time that he matures.
Earlier in the season he was playing regularly, making runs but his percentage of goals against opportunities was low, Poyet seems to have acknowledged this fact and leaves him on the bench more often.
Murray is far and away the best striker we have and if for any reason he does not play then our goals for tally is going to look bad.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Six: If he scores a hattrick and you're not going to change your opinion that his way of playing is working, you are a fuckwit of a magnitute NSC hasn't ever seen. And that includes the Jamie fella.

No no, you're right. YOu're a genius.
Well you got something right.(joke)

But I'll put you down a a typical NSC follower then by comment six. Very short term view.

A player called Bryan Wade once socred four goals on his debut. Didnt make him a great player. Played a couple more games and was gone I think.

Same as if Barnes scores a hat trick, doesn't mean he's excellent finished player. See the post above. This time next year, if hes still here and we go up, I bet he'll score only a few by this stage. Be the same player, though, no know doubt the same people defending him now, will be calling him a ****, even though his performance will be the same.

But if he did score a hat trick now matter how he scores it, a lot on here will be clapping like seals and saying how great he is, but give it a few poor games, and he'll be a **** again, until he scores a few more. My opinion of him wont change, until he improves his game. If you read back, when everyone was slagging off Murray earlier in teh season, I was totally on his side, as I can see hes a class player, and those same people who were calling him a **** and a waste of space, and now praying he signs a new contract, and with your number six comment I think you've just put yourself in that catagory, which is a shame, because although think you know much about football other than what you see on the surface, you are one of the better debaters on here until that stupid comment.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Watch Murray, watch Noone watch Wood read the game.

Murray is a £300k striker, Noone is a £300k winger, Wood is an international on loan from a Prem team. They are all better all round players than Ash and that is reflected in their fees/backgrounds.

Barnes is an £80k striker from Plymouth's reserves. You get what you pay for. No one is claiming he is going to get us promoted single handed, but he has done well for the team this season (and last). Until someone else better comes along why not get behind the lad?

If Murray goes or sits on the bench, and we have to relay on Barnes for the rest of hte season, we're in trouble.

I agree with you, and I suspect so do most on here, but that doesn't make him shit or deserving of the accusations of cowardice your direct at him (ironically from behind your keyboard).

Would I rather we have Austin, Le Fondre, Billy Sharp or some of the other strikers we have been linked with in the last 12 months? The answer is yes, but they will cost at least a million, and we don't have that type of money as far as I am aware in the playing budget. As for not being 'good enough for us', that comes across as arrogant. We're a provincial club who are lucky to be in existence, who can't even sell out a 9,000 seater (admittedly crap) stadium. If you look at the strikers we have had in the last 10 years we have been lucky to have the likes of BZ, Leon (before his head got too big), Muzza and Fozzie in that time, but we've also had a lot of dross too. Ash is far from the worst, and also a fair way off the best we have had, but he is in our squad at present so let's support him, not crucify him.

He can score one of his arse completely misreading the flight of the ball for all I care................so long as we win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here