Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Wait for it..."f*** off prick why don't you I never slagged him off apart from starting threads saying that he's not good enough monkey see monkey do" wibble wibble etc etc etc etc...

:banana:

(Yes, I think he's good enough.)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The best thing about coming home today was KNOWING this thread would be front page. I really love NSC sometimes!

Dandyman

In London village.
Oh, hang on...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Spot on mate. Whether you agree or disagree with the thread, it is a bit pathetic that it gets bounced everytime he scores. THe problem is so many people judge players on their last game.

Before Saturday he was below par for the previous couple of games or so, but doesn't mean I come on here and slated him, because its not about that. He was excellent Saturday, and long may it continue, but I won't be totally won over until he grows a pair of bollocks, and stops pulling out of things, because I still stand by the fact that if another striker had been given the game time AShley's had, he'd probably be on more goals then him, purely based on the way the side is playing, and the chances created. I still stand by what I stand earlier as well, is that if Barnes was willing to take a tackle and not jump bottle everything, he should be pushing Peter Wards record by now.

But if the team wasn't so dominant in this division, the way he is at the moment, he'd stick out like a sore thumb. But as it is, he gets away with scoring far fewer goals than he should, and 14 looks a half decent return, when in truth it should be double that!

maybe you would like to list them, mind you they all have to about the 60k mark,personally I think he is a bargain at that price.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
i love how this thread gets cracked out each time he scores. Of course he is good enough

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Class striker, premiership quality. I am sure big nuts would agree.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
An inferior Gary Hart from 98.

Fair play he has scored a fair few goals, but he doesn't look a player to me. 194 chances to 16 goals

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Slightly distorting the facts son. You cannot deny that he has made several match winning contributions this season....

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
An inferior Gary Hart from 98.

Fair play he has scored a fair few goals, but he doesn't look a player to me. 194 chances to 16 goals

Utterly ridiculous. 14 goals is a frankly fantastic haul for a young player in his first full season, and for just 60kish too he's a real bargain. In fact, I'd argue vehemently that recently, he's missed far less chances than Murray. How about applauding him alongside the rest of the team, rather than spouting uniformed and incorrect opinions?

P.S I think the real point is that Gus (who, I'm guessing, has played a fair bit more than you at International and Premier league standard) clearly does think he's a player, and thus I'll maintain my opinion of him as a bright talent, rather than ludicrously writing him off during a season of unprecedented success in which he has more than played his part.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Before you say, oh another thread about Barnes, than don't read or post in it.
Before you quote stats, don't. Stick to the stat filled PC Manager games

But I thought earlier in the season that Barnes was not up to wearing the stripes, and after watching him numerous times, yesterdays performance at Bournemouth proved to me that he is out of his depth, and is never going to be the half decent striker we hope he will become, unless he toughens up and grows a pair of bollocks.

Strikers, like central defenders need to be able to take a whack and dish one out, otherwise they won't make it in 99% of cases. Look at Al Abd. He aint performing like he is because of his skill. He wins the battle with most strikers in the first ten minutes of a game. Barnes yesterday was a complete waste of space and was very lucky not to leave the ground in an Ambulance. Just compare him to Murray. Nearly every time Murray goes up for a header, he wins it. Even when he completely missed a flick on yesterday, the defenders marking him flicked it on for him. They are so worried about Murray they make mistakes. When Barnes goes up for a header, its half hearted, going through the motions. He hardly ever wins any, and all you see from him is a cowardly pulling in of the shoulder and ducking his head out of the way. Its the same with tackles, he dangles a leg, and never makes a hard challenge. He must be a center half's dream too play against. When the Bournemouth center half's saw the team yesterday, they must have been pissing themselves laughing. Instead of having Murray who was going to be a danger all afternoon, they had to put up with Barnes, who's only danger to them was going to be getting a headache from all his whining. Refs are never going to give Barnes a 50/50 decision, because they can see the way he plays. He always looking to get out of the way and go down before the balls near him. BE honest, how many of think of Barnes, and see a picture in your mind of him sitting on his arse, arms out by his side with a look of disbelief on his face because he didn't get a free kick?

He was so lucky yesterday when he was on the receiving end of that second half crunching tackle, that his leg wasn't snapped in two. The first thing you teach a player, is never pull out of a tackle, or never just dangle your leg at a tackle, as you are a lot more in danger of getting seriously injured, then if you tackle hard yourself. When he got hit, I honestly though he'd broke his leg, and if he carries on like that it wont belong before a career ending injury comes along.

The boy is just too lightweight for pro football, and all the time he has a hole in his arse he wont make it. He'll find his level in the conference within a couple of years. Unless of course he learns to toughen up, but in most cases you cannot teach someone bottle, you either have bottle or you don't. You can get away with being and playing like a tart in some positions, but not as a striker. I think his only hope to go and do a bit of UFC training and learn to overcome his weakness and tartness, and learn how to take a whack.

In addition to his weak challenging at headers and that near leg breaking tackle, did you notice that when he an Murray& Barnes broke yesterday and Murray squared it, Barnes went hiding behind the defender. Murray squared it, and Barnes was nowhere. If he had done as he was meant to do and get in front of the defender, he would have either got a shot and probably scored, or got fouled and got a penalty. Either way he'd have got a whack, so that probably why he went and hid behind the defender, where he was nice and safe. The only way we would have scored there was an own goal, or if the defender fluffed it. But, no he'll wait for the unchallenged chances too add to his goal tally.

Now before people quote his stats, I think any other striker at the club could match these or better his goal tally given the game time and position Barnes has had this season. I even think if you got an old pro like John Byrne, he'd have easily matched Barnes tally, even without playing or training for 10 years. What I'm saying is, even through Barnes is the second highest scorer, any striker given Barnes' chances would easily match it. As a team we have been creating so much, we could have doubled our goal tally with the right striker this season.

You've just gotta take a look at the amount of chances Barnes as missed, most of which, I think is down to his bottle. I haven't looked, but I bet a lot of Barnes goals have been from unchallenged shots. No doubt he can strike a good shot when given time, and if football was a non contact sport, he'd be one of the best, but its not, and he's not.

I still see Murray just as much as a provider than a scorer if not more the provider, and I think the way the game turned at Bournemouth when he come on yesterday proves it. He'll chase things down, get stuck it and create chances of others, and cause defences problems, whereas Barnes isn't gong to cause any defence problems. I bet if you went back to yesterdays game, Barnes took a whack and threats from a defender early on, and after that he was shit scared of getting involved, and until he can learn to toughen up a bit, his only hope is to become a winger or he will fade away, and if he doesn't learn to toughen up then I hope he fades away sooner rather than later, because without a player like Murray in the side, he is a waste of space, and if I was a player of Murrays ability, and got dropped for Ashley Barnes yesterday, I'd tell Gus where to stick his new contract.... (although obviously in a nice way because of Gus' god like status, I wouldn't be rude too him at it!!)

Quite amazing how many people don't see what they're watching. Dumb f***.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ah.........it's like revisiting an old friend.

15 goals now I think, so on target (injury permitting) to make it 20 by the end of the season

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Class finish from the lad today.

Only had a narrow gap to aim for from a tight angle.

Sprinting back to defend a corner even though clearly limping. Get off his back you doubters. This lad cares.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He's a player who is good now and will get better. Mr burns might get upset that this thread gets bounced every time Barnes scores but maybe it'll be a salutary lesson to other 'experts' who fancy slagging off a player they just don't happen to like, To micro analyse a player just to try and justify what now look rather stupid remarks just shows somebody who is too arrogant to admit that they are wrong.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Great finish today. I still don't think he will make it as a player. Loved to be proved wrong though.

I just don't know how you can reconcile your first two sentences. Just seen the goal on telly and I hadn't realised what an excellent finish it was. And he keeps on doing it. So he HAS made it as a player and he's still just a young whippersnapper.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
His certainly improved, but I still feel a more clinical finisher would of had 25 goals plus already given the amount of chances his had. His fortunate in many ways his playing in a Brighton team that is creating chances for fun, I'm still surprised we haven't given someone an absolute drubbing (more than six) as I've seen us on regular occurances play teams of the park.

The only criticism you can level at the team this season apart from missing penalties is not killing teams off quicker.

So I suppose he has made it as a player in a sense that he has played a large part in helping a team win a Championship (we will win it) however lets see where he spends the majority of his career and I would say his likely to be a Div 1 at best but more likely Div 2.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here