Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

But they are all old threads. The point is, some people were wrong about Barnes at the start of the season (I always rated him btw!). But it doesn't need a fresh handful of people coming in here every time he scores and starting a post with "all the moaners...". I would hope that most people moaning about Barnes have been put in their place. I really don't know what this thread is trying to achieve now, neither do I know why people decide to imagine moaning so they can take the superior viewpoint.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The only thing i feel Barnes lacks (and I know he is young so will improve) is when he goes up for headers and he knows that a big defender is behind him, he seems a little half arsed, compared to say Murray.

Other than that :thumbsup:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But they are all old threads. The point is, some people were wrong about Barnes at the start of the season (I always rated him btw!). But it doesn't need a fresh handful of people coming in here every time he scores and starting a post with "all the moaners...". I would hope that most people moaning about Barnes have been put in their place. I really don't know what this thread is trying to achieve now, neither do I know why people decide to imagine moaning so they can take the superior viewpoint.
Spot on mate. Whether you agree or disagree with the thread, it is a bit pathetic that it gets bounced everytime he scores. THe problem is so many people judge players on their last game.

Before Saturday he was below par for the previous couple of games or so, but doesn't mean I come on here and slated him, because its not about that. He was excellent Saturday, and long may it continue, but I won't be totally won over until he grows a pair of bollocks, and stops pulling out of things, because I still stand by the fact that if another striker had been given the game time AShley's had, he'd probably be on more goals then him, purely based on the way the side is playing, and the chances created. I still stand by what I stand earlier as well, is that if Barnes was willing to take a tackle and not jump bottle everything, he should be pushing Peter Wards record by now.

But if the team wasn't so dominant in this division, the way he is at the moment, he'd stick out like a sore thumb. But as it is, he gets away with scoring far fewer goals than he should, and 14 looks a half decent return, when in truth it should be double that!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think it's quite good that this thread gets bounced when Ashley has a good game, as it does remind us how incredibly fickle, impatient and vindictive our support can be at times. For me he is a decent third division footballer who has scored more than enough goals to justify his selection as well as all-round team contribution. If Barnes had the first half that Murray had on saturday there would be yet another tedious Ashley Barnes is sh*t thread, so why not bounce this one when he does well.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
hindsight is a wonderful thing

This thread doesnt get bounced when Barnes plays shite, like he did in his last two games against Yeovil and MK Dons. But it appears when he scores and he suddenly becomes the best player ever. He is not that great yet, he is still young and has lots to improve on. 14 goals is a great haul, no doubt.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The only thing i feel Barnes lacks (and I know he is young so will improve) is when he goes up for headers and he knows that a big defender is behind him, he seems a little half arsed, compared to say Murray.

Other than that :thumbsup:

Carlisle did set about trying to flatten him at regular intervals.

So he went and scored a couple of goals. Good riposte, I'd say.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This thread doesnt get bounced when Barnes plays shite, like he did in his last two games against Yeovil and MK Dons. But it appears when he scores and he suddenly becomes the best player ever. He is not that great yet, he is still young and has lots to improve on. 14 goals is a great haul, no doubt.

I didn't go to MK, but I disagree that Barnes was shit at Yeovil. He worked his arse off, out on the left, and it was only really apparent how hard he'd been working once he'd gone off, and Noone left that side totally exposed.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Spot on mate. Whether you agree or disagree with the thread, it is a bit pathetic that it gets bounced everytime he scores. THe problem is so many people judge players on their last game.

Before Saturday he was below par for the previous couple of games or so, but doesn't mean I come on here and slated him, because its not about that. He was excellent Saturday, and long may it continue, but I won't be totally won over until he grows a pair of bollocks, and stops pulling out of things, because I still stand by the fact that if another striker had been given the game time AShley's had, he'd probably be on more goals then him, purely based on the way the side is playing, and the chances created. I still stand by what I stand earlier as well, is that if Barnes was willing to take a tackle and not jump bottle everything, he should be pushing Peter Wards record by now.

But if the team wasn't so dominant in this division, the way he is at the moment, he'd stick out like a sore thumb. But as it is, he gets away with scoring far fewer goals than he should, and 14 looks a half decent return, when in truth it should be double that!

28 would be quite some total at his stage Mr Burns and like you say if only he could toughen up like old Wardy.:lol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Like several others under Gus's wise tutelage, Barnes is just getting better and better. Think he arrives in those onside one-on-ones by accident ? The timing of his movement now surpasses Murray, who is a far more experienced striker. Like any striker, he needs the ball delivered at the right time - and in Greer, he seems to have reached an almost telepathic understanding. Witness his fabulous run to set up Glenns tap-in for the 2nd goal v Hartlepool, and his first against Carlisle. Both times he was released by a pass from Greer, by timing his run to perfection.

He is being coached very, very well. And we are seeing the results.

THIS. The Greer pass was excellent and Barnes seemed to have AGES to finish off. Great goal and all came through patience and timing, much like a lot of our goals.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I don't think anyone is claiming that Barnes is great yet, and i agree he is nowhere near being the finished article, but he does seem to attract a level of criticism that is far greater than other players who have sub-par games. For instance Calderon has not been at his best lately, ditto Gordon Greer and Murray missed his fair share of decent chances on saturday, yet none have been on the receiving end of the stick that Barnes gets on his off days.

By the end of the season he should be on or around 20 goals and will have played his part in creating opportunities for others to score too. For me that is a pretty decent return. I think he is a player that will only improve and I think people should cut him some slack.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I didn't go to MK, but I disagree that Barnes was shit at Yeovil. He worked his arse off, out on the left, and it was only really apparent how hard he'd been working once he'd gone off, and Noone left that side totally exposed.

he didnt look up for the physical battle, which he rarely does and I didnt think he offered anything goal threat wise. Just my opinion like

I thought he played badly, hence he was substitued?, but Noone came on and played even worse. Noone also looked quite bad against Carlisle.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

All of those threads were started at various points this season, the second was started this past week, the first is this thread, which has remained active, and every time it gets bumped the debate is rehashed which includes Mr Burns reiterating his criticisms of Barnes.

When barnes has bad games this thread doesn't get bumped, but the moaning you say is imagined is more constrained to player ratings and match threads and 'just back from the game' threads, so are harder to point to. There are also the comments at the games themselves, for which there is obviously no link to provide evidence for (other than more people talking about hearing the criticism) one of the threads this weekend mentions fans berating barnes just minutes before he scored.

My point being, it's not imagined. People do criticise barnes, often times unnecessarily, or at least disproportionately (for the performance itself, or in comparison to other players giving a similar performance etc as evidenced by the thread titles first posts).

The threads asking where the moaners are don't occur so much after a run of good games this thread excepted), only after the first good game after a run of less obviously good/below par/bad performances. The problem is, whether because of age experience or ability, Barnes will be inconsistent and have bad games among his good games and the negative comments will return. Then he'll have a good game and the 'where's the moaners' start.

It's the nsc way. One loss after a run of wins and the moaners come out in force. One win after a run of defeats and the "where's the moaners now?" posters come out in force.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
This thread doesnt get bounced when Barnes plays shite

Yes, but if someone had started a thread called "Ashley Barnes is far too good for us", then it probably would get bounced from the Barnes haters for every bad performance. The point is the thread is titled "Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us", which is clearly ridiculous. If the thread was along the lines of "Barnes is young, has a lot to learn, and I'm not sure he's ready for us yet". It wouldn't be getting anywhere near the attention this is.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Like several others under Gus's wise tutelage, Barnes is just getting better and better. Think he arrives in those onside one-on-ones by accident ? The timing of his movement now surpasses Murray, who is a far more experienced striker. Like any striker, he needs the ball delivered at the right time - and in Greer, he seems to have reached an almost telepathic understanding. Witness his fabulous run to set up Glenns tap-in for the 2nd goal v Hartlepool, and his first against Carlisle. Both times he was released by a pass from Greer, by timing his run to perfection.

He is being coached very, very well. And we are seeing the results.

This, it's beginning to remind me a bit of watson - zamora, though that was often dead ball situations....

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Yes, but if someone had started a thread called "Ashley Barnes is far too good for us", then it probably would get bounced from the Barnes haters for every bad performance. The point is the thread is titled "Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us", which is clearly ridiculous. If the thread was along the lines of "Barnes is young, has a lot to learn, and I'm not sure he's ready for us yet". It wouldn't be getting anywhere near the attention this is.

Spot on.

And to the comments about bouncing the thread when he plays badly, I'd probably say there's been a maximum of 3-4 games where he could be classed as having played badly. His good games are well into the double figures. Mr Burns asked us to assess him over a number of games rather than one offs, and since the thread started back on 23/01 I think his quality has been evident on a regular basis.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Wait for it..."f*** off prick why don't you I never slagged him off apart from starting threads saying that he's not good enough monkey see monkey do" wibble wibble etc etc etc etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here