Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My 156 is looking a bit overoptimistic now.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Reckon Sky must be secretly quite pleased they didn't shell out for this series. Surely only the diehard insomniac England supporters are the only viewers left by now?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I'm damn sure if the England selectors couldn't bring in James Foster, regarded as the best keeper in the world, a few years ago, they are unlikely to go with Foakes.

Buttler could get a quick 50 so all will be forgiven. Including crucial drops that costs stacks of runs. Catches Foakes would have taken.

But still, he averages a few more than others. False economy ? Of course not :ffsparr:

The case is even stronger with Foakes as he can bat. Averages 38 in FC cricket (6 more than Buttler). I’ve been a supporter of Buttler. He has all the talent, has been brilliant in ODIs (doesn’t get the credit he deserves for a match changing innings in the WC Final) and is a better keeper than Bairstow in my opinion. But the change needs to be made now, there’s a mental problem for him with Test cricket and it’s time to cut loose, let him focus on white ball, and give Foakes the gloves full time.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The only chance to save the Ashes is a Covid outbreak and the Aussie govt imposing a lockdown

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Take the captaincy off Root now. Like football managers, the best players don’t always make the best captains. Something stinks inside England and has done for a while. Amazing we bowl our only decent spell in the series while Root is in hospital, comes back and has Robinson bowling spin, we’ve had countless chances go through 2nd slip because he goes so defensive so quick. I’m not sure being the squeaky clean golden boy of cricket has helped, but we lack any kind of stomach - the number of collapses under his leadership is probably worse than the dark days of the 90s.

I’d use the rest of the series to turn this side upside down, round and about. Maybe even give it to Broad or Jimmy to see this out. Discuss…

Root’s lost the dressing room as it were for me, best batsmen without a doubt, he’s a poor captain though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Take the captaincy off Root now. Like football managers, the best players don’t always make the best captains. Something stinks inside England and has done for a while. Amazing we bowl our only decent spell in the series while Root is in hospital, comes back and has Robinson bowling spin, we’ve had countless chances go through 2nd slip because he goes so defensive so quick. I’m not sure being the squeaky clean golden boy of cricket has helped, but we lack any kind of stomach - the number of collapses under his leadership is probably worse than the dark days of the 90s.

I’d use the rest of the series to turn this side upside down, round and about. Maybe even give it to Broad or Jimmy to see this out. Discuss…

Root’s lost the dressing room as it were for me, best batsmen without a doubt, he’s a poor captain though.

Cricket is a different game to other sports. There are village cricketers who could captain the England team, but obviously won't because they can't bat, bowl or field to that level. But they will know just as much as Root if they've been watching all the matches and studying the opposition.

In the first Test I didn't know, for example, why the slips were too deep. Why anyone would come over the wicket to Warner, why Broad and Anderson weren't playing on a green top, and why the hell we put the opposition in. After 40 years on village patches you pick up the little things too.

England seems like a closed shop. Robinson should have been in the squad three years ago, and I would have selected him ahead of Archer. He will take wickets abroad, and that is the key. But England are so intransigent.

Stokes for captain ? I don't know. He is quite an intelligent cricketer. But I'm not sure if that is a good place for an all-rounder. Although his batting is the primary focus. But they do need a change if they want the urn back in 2023.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Test cricket in England is dead and this series proves it. Even in Australia they're running it in parallel with The Big Bash.

The long format of the game has been sacrificed for the one day game. It's not even worth debating dropping players and picking players because these ARE the best we've got. It's beyond embarrassing, it's disrespectful to the sport of cricket itself.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just got up for work and switched on to be rather surprised we haven't been beaten yet! 135/6 though, so won't be long.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Darn. My 156 has been passed...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Test cricket in England is dead and this series proves it. Even in Australia they're running it in parallel with The Big Bash.

The long format of the game has been sacrificed for the one day game. It's not even worth debating dropping players and picking players because these ARE the best we've got. It's beyond embarrassing, it's disrespectful to the sport of cricket itself.

Why have so many other nations managed to retain a decent focus and ability in test cricket while England can’t even open the batting for 5 years or so? Are we stuck in an old fashioned mindset of what opening in tests needs to be? The way we bat in tests does seem stuck in the past. If test cricket is to survive it has to evolve with how players play the game. Teams like NZ, India, Aus seem to have done that.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
For the first time ever I have no interest in this tour. I check the score occasionally but would normally have taken out BT Sport and I have not even listened to R5 commentary. The problems are so much bigger than Silverwood, Root or the form of certain players. I appreciate the ECB is absolutely skint because of covid and the England fixtures schedule is geared to money making one dayers but as others have said, the people in positions of power have made it quite clear that the longer form of the game is not a priority. The planning, preparation and performances of the Eng team demonstrate this. But the ECB will be delighted with the success of the 100 earlier in the summer even though most cricket fans will probably struggle to remember who actually won it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My 199 looks likely, but Woakes will be Top Scorer.

At least they took it to the final session, no doubt that will be Something to Build On...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here