Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Artists of more than 20 years' standing making new music to match their early greats?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, those bands are what I'm calling hair or poodle rock. I'm not with you on the RHCP's impact, however. Grunge and lo-fi would have done it, but I'd circumscribe (rather than circumcise) the RHCP and its culture from that genre and its culture.
We'll just have to disagree on this though.

Chilis hated hair metal and cock rock, Guns'n'Roses, etc.

They were a mixture of near equal parts punk (The Germs, X) and funk (George Clinton, Tower of Power) in early years, and were a big part of the alternative LA scene with Jane's Addiction, Fishbone etc, some of which then merged closer-ish to Grunge at points.

Their new album has some decent tracks. They will always be held back to some extent by Anthony Kiedis' limitations as a singer, but they have a frankly phenomenal band instrumentally.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gojira - Despite changing their sound they're still absolutely incredible and are arguably the best live band around.

The production quality (and playing) on that live gig in Poland is INCREDIBLE. Converted me into being a fan instantly.

[yt]ISJtvWhkMFQ[/yt]

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They've been going just over 20 years now, and Sea Power's latest album is arguably their best. Got to be in with a shout for the Mercury Prize.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Surprised Lou Reed doesn't get a mention here, one of the few who continued to do great stuff over a whole life, though his last effort with Metallica would seem to contradict that.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here