Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Artists of more than 20 years' standing making new music to match their early greats?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The new Weller album is excellent, although lets face it its not as good as The Jam.

The new Ride album is also fantastic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Many years back he said that he would not become some boring old bloke sat on a stool playing a guitar!

I saw the Jam at the Embassy cinema, Western Road, 1977. 'nuff said.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I saw the Jam at the Embassy cinema, Western Road, 1977. 'nuff said.

In a thread about new stuff I am going to dissent.

Gave up on Weller about 10 years ago at the Albert Hall. One hour thirty of feigned interest, twenty minutes of foot tapping to good solo stuff. Ten minutes of going nuts to Malice etc.. Needs to play to, not at his audience.

If The Jam reformed, if only for one tour, it would allow Buckler & Foxton to retire comfortably. It would also make an awful lot of people very happy. But Mr Arrogant won’t play. Annoyingly, From The Jam, (Rick and Bruce) are playing Melbourne in September.......I will be in the UK!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Gave up on Weller about 10 years ago at the Albert Hall. One hour thirty of feigned interest, twenty minutes of foot tapping to good solo stuff. Ten minutes of going nuts to Malice etc.. Needs to play to, not at his audience.

If The Jam reformed, if only for one tour, it would allow Buckler & Foxton to retire comfortably. It would also make an awful lot of people very happy. But Mr Arrogant won’t play. Annoyingly, From The Jam, (Rick and Bruce) are playing Melbourne in September.......I will be in the UK!

Why should the Jam reform, Weller has been clear for years that it's not going to happen.
Lots of bands reform where clearly its purely for the money where they effectively take the money and run. (Bad Company a short 80 minute set....)

Why not just leave those that saw Jam gigs with the memories and move on.

Also I certainly don't recognise your description of a Weller gig, maybe you were just unfamiliar with the album tracks as opposed to the hits.
But each to their own

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It’s just proof that we all have very different opinions on what is great music. Whilst I accept Numan is a hero and brilliant in many people’s eyes, his music has always left me cold. Cars has to be up there with the most irritating moronic songs that I have ever heard :shrug:

I haven’t gone out of my way to listen to his music but I have heard quite a bit on the radio and have seen the occasional concert clips and I just don’t get the raving about him.

He obviously does what he does very well but it all sounds shit to me. And I do mean unlistenable shit :smile:

Musical taste is in the ear if the listener. Each to their own I say...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You blatantly haven't browsed though this thread.

Why, because I happen to like someone that isn't mainstream?

You've only got to search the internet to see the number of artists who have sited Numan as an influence, or listen to the number of tracks that have sampled Numan tracks to know he has something. I feel he deserves his place on this thread!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why, because I happen to like someone that isn't mainstream?

You've only got to search the internet to see the number of artists who have sited Numan as an influence, or listen to the number of tracks that have sampled Numan tracks to know he has something. I feel he deserves his place on this thread!

It was Wozza who posted one of your videos earlier in the thread, hence the emoji :wink:

You are right, it’s a forum, post what you like. I think Al Stewart is fantastic, part of my youth. Just about everyone I know think he plays fey shite music though. That has absolutely no influence on what I think (their loss :lolol:) :shrug:

I think I’ll post on of his later offerings now, actually no I won’t, his last album was in 2008 :smile:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I give you: GABRIELLE!

Scrubs up pretty well musically after quarter of a century. Shine (2018) more than favorably compares with Dreams (1993). Both hit the spot and then some. IMHO, like.

1993: Dreams :love:

2018: Shine :love:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You're not dissenting from me, mate. I agree with you.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You mock, but he's been going 40 years, so must be doing something right!

Just to clarify a 3 year old misunderstanding, Wozza had already posted a link to 'Ruin' - he wasn't mocking your taste.

My goodness, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since June 2019 :eek:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, my contribution is Low. Their first three or four albums were majestic -- up until Things We Lost in the Fire. Then they lost their way a little, but have really got their mojo back on their last two outings, particularly on Double Negative. Cracking live currently too, see:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/26/low-review-the-queens-hall-edinburgh

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/09/low-hey-what-review

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ive-review-the-sound-of-the-world-unravelling

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/dec/11/best-albums-2018-low-double-negative

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here