Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Feels like its definitely between Ben White and JWP now. Think we could rule out the others.

I think it will be JWP, Henderson is still coming back from injury, Grealish not long back. JWP great dead ball, played well today and perfect when chasing a game or if its moving towards pens.... though I agree with Wrighty, "Ben white was fantastic today, fantastic today".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

How is it when an Albion centre back 'charges out of position' he has:-

He has the ball at his feet.
He's beaten at least 2 players.
He's taken the opposition midfield out of the game.
He's now on the edge of the opposing penalty area.
His place in defence has been covered.

The difference is night and day.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Best rating amongst the defenders and most tackles and interceptions in the game as well yet not considered as good as that liability Mings that has been picked by Mr Waistcoat

Even more bizarre considering how well Dunk has played this season, he's so much better than Mings and better than many in that squad.

Stupid error to pick a hopelessly out of form Mings and injured Slab head, no time to play yourself into form mid tournament.

Its a shame as yet again, we have a great set of talented young players and a manager tactically not up to it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Boring Goring

Jul 15, 2009
Goring
The BBC website that has many many votes by the public and not some agenda pushing jurno has Ben as 5th best player and top defender by a considerable margin. I think that is a better indication of what the public perception is. Mings beaten to last spot by Henderson.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The BBC website that has many many votes by the public and not some agenda pushing jurno has Ben as 5th best player and top defender by a considerable margin. I think that is a better indication of what the public perception is. Mings beaten to last spot by Henderson.

Sometimes the family name tells a story. There are several poorly regarded scientists in my area by the name of Kunz, Vanker and Arzoll.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I'd love Ben to get his place in the squad, and definitely think he deserves it, but whatever Southgate's choice, White has had an exceptional few days - pretty much everyone can see his class now. Guardiola must be thinking - "shit, I paid £50m for John Stones, and this guy Ben White is so much better!" Hopefully we can keep him for another season, but I'm pretty sure Ben White will be playing Champions League football in the next couple of years - and not necessarily with an English club. He could fit in at Barcelona, Bayern or Inter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jasper Carrott would be far more anti-Villa than anyone on here!

:shrug: Brummies - they are all the same, innit? ??? Avoiding lazy prejudices is not part of my trope here. :shrug:

Hope you had a nice day. Weather and all that stuff lovely here. Small disagreements are not worth that, as Mullers once said :thumbsup: :wink:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What have we learnt / had confirmed tonight?

Johnstone
A better keeper than Pickford but won't start
Mings
Hard to find words to describe how far below international standard he is. Can't fathom how he is anywhere near the squad, never mind starting.
White
Looked like he was earning his 22nd cap, not his 2nd. Amazing that his inclusion in the squad is in doubt. A frustrating consequence of Southgate's scouting missions being to the same clubs, watching the same players all season long. Short-sighted strategy.
Grealish
Huge talent but so frustrating watching him launch himself onto the deck at the slightest touch or a suggestion of anticipated contact. Not sure if Grealish is soley to blame for this - or if Dean Smith needs to shoulder some of the blame. Big chance that the better refs at the Euros / VAR will punish him for his habitual diving, and deservedly so.
Up front
Decent at creating chances vs. a packed defence but without Kane the standard of finishing was poor, to say the least.. Admttedly we hit the bar twice, but also row Z took a bit of hammering too. Rashford looked well off his game. Decent chances spurned and to cap it all, a piss-poor penalty by a bloke who's never scored for England, had only been on the pitch a matter of minutes and hasn't played for months. What ****ing genius decided that would be a good idea?
Overall
Yes, just a warm up and nothing like our starting XI but still baffled by some of Southgate's selections and tactics. Let's hope he's sandbagging....

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What have we learned / had confirmed tonight?

Johnstone
A better keeper than Pickford but won't start
Mings
Hard to find words to describe how far below international standard he is. Can't fathom how he is anywhere near the squad, never mind starting.
White
Looked like he was earning his 22nd cap, not his 2nd. Amazing that his inclusion in the squad is in doubt. A frustrating consequence of Southgate's scouting missions being to the same clubs, watching the same players all season long. Short-sighted strategy.
Grealish
Huge talent but so frustrating watching him launch himself onto the deck at the slightest touch or a suggestion of anticipated contact. Not sure if Grealish is soley to blame for this - or if Dean Smith needs to shoulder some of the blame. Big chance that the better refs at the Euros / VAR will punish him for his habitual diving, and deservedly so.
Up front
Decent at creating chances vs. a packed defence but without Kane the standard of finishing was sub-par. Admttedly we hit the bar twice, but also row Z took a bit of hammering too. Rashford looked well off his game. Decent chances spurned and to cap it all, a piss-poor penalty by a bloke who's never scored for England, had only been on the pitch a matter of minutes and hasn't played for months. What ****ing genius decided that would be a good idea?
Overall
Yes, just a warm up and nothing like our starting XI but still baffled by some of Southgate's selections and tactics. Let's hope he's sandbagging....

I thought Godfrey looked shakey when defending and was doing BW no favours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here