[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

What have we learnt / had confirmed tonight?

Johnstone
A better keeper than Pickford but won't start
Mings
Hard to find words to describe how far below international standard he is. Can't fathom how he is anywhere near the squad, never mind starting.
White
Looked like he was earning his 22nd cap, not his 2nd. Amazing that his inclusion in the squad is in doubt. A frustrating consequence of Southgate's scouting missions being to the same clubs, watching the same players all season long. Short-sighted strategy.
Grealish
Huge talent but so frustrating watching him launch himself onto the deck at the slightest touch or a suggestion of anticipated contact. Not sure if Grealish is soley to blame for this - or if Dean Smith needs to shoulder some of the blame. Big chance that the better refs at the Euros / VAR will punish him for his habitual diving, and deservedly so.
Up front
Decent at creating chances vs. a packed defence but without Kane the standard of finishing was poor, to say the least.. Admttedly we hit the bar twice, but also row Z took a bit of hammering too. Rashford looked well off his game. Decent chances spurned and to cap it all, a piss-poor penalty by a bloke who's never scored for England, had only been on the pitch a matter of minutes and hasn't played for months. What ****ing genius decided that would be a good idea?
Overall
Yes, just a warm up and nothing like our starting XI but still baffled by some of Southgate's selections and tactics. Let's hope he's sandbagging....

Pretty much agree with all, but would cut Grealish some slack. He’s an incredible talent to have at our disposal and still new at international level.

He is going to ask questions of every defence we play and could win us a lot of penalties. I’ve enjoyed watching him play for us already.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’m not sure I want our Ben anywhere near this mess, Southgate is a politician first, bang average coach second, and it’s going to bite England. I can honestly see us failing to get out of the group.
His obsession with certain players is ridiculous. Kane, Maguire, Henderson, all unfit. Mings woefully out of his depth. Rashford off form and IMO a ‘flat track bully’ anyway. He’ll start all 5 if he can.
SGE made this exact same mistake in 06 with Rooney and it was a costly distraction which failed. Same again but with more players.
Give Ben the summer off and he can be a starter in Dec 22 and for years to come hopefully under a proper coach.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Pretty much agree with all, but would cut Grealish some slack. He’s an incredible talent to have at our disposal and still new at international level.

He is going to ask questions of every defence we play and could win us a lot of penalties. I’ve enjoyed watching him play for us already.

Fully agree that Grealish is an incredible talent but that is what makes his gamesmanship and frankly, cheating - so frustrating for me. He really doesn't need to do it. He is one of those players who can get people out of their seats when he sets off on a run from deep midfield but to see him prefer to 'win' a free kick or a penalty rather than create a bone fide chance is not how I want to watch football. I'd love to see him try to stay on his feet. I loved how Gazza used to run at defences and create unforgetable moments of magic - not tumble to the turf at the slightest brush. If we progress because Grealish wins us a lot of penalties that won't feel like much a victory to me.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Fully agree that Grealish is an incredible talent but that is what makes his gamesmanship and frankly, cheating - so frustrating for me. He really doesn't need to do it. He is one of those players who can get people out of their seats when he sets off on a run from deep midfield but to see him prefer to 'win' a free kick or a penalty rather than create a bone fide chance is not how I want to watch football. I'd love to see him try to stay on his feet. I loved how Gazza used to run at defences and create unforgetable moments of magic - not tumble to the turf at the slightest brush. If we progress because Grealish wins us a lot of penalties that won't feel like much a victory to me.

Sadly the rule makers have changed the game
This encourages such behaviour
Possibly for the worse

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The game’s secret, no one ever spills the beans, is that clubs must shirley ferment, encourage and train it into players.

At Villa and CP’s training grounds (they spring to mind as big cheats), coaches must go through this particular new skill set. Trailing legs, running into opponents but making it appear that you were the victim, parachute rolls, slapping the turf, screams. It sounds like a joke, but it’s clearly coached.

I would imagine it’s not a hot topic at Albion training sessions, purely because Connolly’s the only practitioner and he’s rubbish at it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
White is a Rolls Royce of a player, and is consistently proving it at the highest level.

Mings is a second hand Ford Orion, with delusions of grandeur. Its absolutely BAFFLING how Southgate can look upon this error-strewn goon as a potential lynchpin of his England defence.

Mings is going to cost us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A love it when a football writer doesn’t tow the party line with silly decent match ratings for all. This guy spotted what we’ve been saying for ages about Mings.

BD19270D-B444-4353-880B-DDA0107BF613.png

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
ITV’s Lee Dixon made the case for White. It was between him and JWP. He said that the midfielder did not have a chance of starting, where as Ben White could, especially if Southgate plays a back 3.

Both players will be 6th choice centre midfield (after Henderson, Rice, Phillips, Bellingham & Mount). But Ben will be 4th choice RB & RWB. 2nd choice RCB in a back 3 and probably 4th choice CB whilst Maguire is injured.

Can Gareth actually bring himself to pick a Brighton player for a tournament though? I’d be absolutely stunned if he can.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
A bit surprised. Delighted for Ben but thought Ward-Prowse was the better fit for the squads shortcomings. That said, anything that reduces the chances of Ming's getting near the shirt is a positive.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
8a60cf3818079e73c6585db7341ace2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully true, what a fantastic couple of days for the lad if so.

Would make perfect sense too, covering two positions where there are injury doubts (though quite why we're taking players with injury doubts - and Mings - is another question).

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
On Twitter lots of "Ward Prowse robbed", a few "The right and obvious choice" and a couple of "Great, now Leeds have two players going to the Euros". :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports