Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

arrogant?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This. 8 points clear. Exeter should be cannon fodder. They are a League Two club in League One on a temporary basis. :albion1::albion2:

So should Yeovil but they matched us for 20 mins and played some pretty good football. Gonna be interesting to see how we respond when we go a goal down and the opposition defend in depth hitting us on the break. Will we continue to have the patient build up or will we start resorting to hoofball as the minutes tick by?

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
NSC does seem to have a problem with ignorant, ill-informd subscribers - check your facts before opening your mouth! (metaphorically speaking of course, as you are putting your thoughts on to the WWW!)
:albion1:

still over 500 tickets to sell, the family stand will be pretty well empty and the away end too so the usual Withdean atmosphere despite Saturday's endeavours.

Tisdale knows Gus and his "style" and will be setting his stall out to counter it. Pressing for the whole 90 minutes is a dangerous ploy so expect them to sit very deep and hit us on the break - something they have proved themselves to be more than capable of doing. Expect 5-3-2 with three centrebacks.

Danger men Ryan Harley and Adam Stansfield (12 goals between them) are having an outstanding start to the season and Jamie Cureton (4 goals) also still poses a threat.

In the league Exeter have 2 away wins (Hartlepool & Yeovil) and scored 3 goals on each occasion. They have 2 away wins in the cups also scoring 3 goals on each occasion.

Positives:

They failed to score in 3 away defeats at Bournemouth Orient and MKDons and only drew at lowly Dagenham

They will have very few fans present and come of the back of a bad home defeat

Albion will not be complacent - "We are Brighton and we play our own game"(Gus)

Barnes will be bouyant and fancy his chances. Murray and Bennett will be keen to make an impression on the scoresheet. LuaLua will be back.

Their GD is -5 away from home (ours at home is +7). We haven't conceded in the last three games and have only conceded twice in one match on one occasion (v Rochdale in August).

Prediction: 2-1[/QUOTE]

NSC does seem to have a problem with ignorant, ill-informd subscribers - check your facts before opening your mouth! (metaphorically speaking of course, as you are putting your thoughts on to the WWW!)
:albion1:

still over 500 tickets to sell, the family stand will be pretty well empty and the away end too so the usual Withdean atmosphere despite Saturday's endeavours.

Tisdale knows Gus and his "style" and will be setting his stall out to counter it. Pressing for the whole 90 minutes is a dangerous ploy so expect them to sit very deep and hit us on the break - something they have proved themselves to be more than capable of doing. Expect 5-3-2 with three centrebacks.

Danger men Ryan Harley and Adam Stansfield (12 goals between them) are having an outstanding start to the season and Jamie Cureton (4 goals) also still poses a threat.

In the league Exeter have 2 away wins (Hartlepool & Yeovil) and scored 3 goals on each occasion. They have 2 away wins in the cups also scoring 3 goals on each occasion.

Positives:

They failed to score in 3 away defeats at Bournemouth Orient and MKDons and only drew at lowly Dagenham

They will have very few fans present and come of the back of a bad home defeat

Albion will not be complacent - "We are Brighton and we play our own game"(Gus)

Barnes will be bouyant and fancy his chances. Murray and Bennett will be keen to make an impression on the scoresheet. LuaLua will be back.

Their GD is -5 away from home (ours at home is +7). We haven't conceded in the last three games and have only conceded twice in one match on one occasion (v Rochdale in August).

Prediction: 2-1
[/QUOTE]

SOUNDS ARROGANT TO ME:facepalm:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I do - a world record IIRC. Wasn't one of them an ex-Brighton player too (my mind's gone completely blank as to who it was though).

The negative point about tomorrow's match is that I'm going (for various reasons, it's my first game of the season). I didn't see a single win last year so I'm not exactly a lucky charm.

Jamie Campbell?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Arrogance from the team is fine - complacency is the issue. And I don;t think Gus or Tarrico will allow that to happen. Too many players itching to get into the starting XI for that to happen. Gus said as much after the agme on Saturday. KLL, Matt Sparrow, Elf etc chomping at the bit. No one will be allowed to become complacent.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I liked this post............

Taylor over head kick from the half way line!!! 9-1 brighton

:lolol::thumbsup::lolol::thumbsup::lolol::thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Seriously guys football, and sport in general, is as much about mental strength as it is physical. As has been said there's a fine line between arrogance and confidence and Gus and Team are 100% aware of this.

Fans are allowed to have their "arrogant" moments and we'll be brought back down to earth but that doesn't mean we shouldn't enjoy a bit of over the top banter and bragging. We should celebrate where w eare and what we are about to realise this club is on the up, yes we'll lose again this season probably 5 - 6 times and we'll draw a few, we'll finish in the top two and that MUST be worth celebrating. In the meantime enjoy the ride FFS.

Edit:

Prediction 6 - 0 Albion ... Oops, 3 - 0 Albion (but six really)

From the Archive of the official site.

Brighton 2 Exeter City 0
Date: 22/12/2000
Attendance: 6,758

Fans were treated to an early Christmas present as Albion ended the year at Withdean just as they'd kicked it off a little under 12 months ago. In a game that wasn't too pretty, as Albion ground out a win against lowly Exeter, in front of the biggest-ever Withdean crowd of 6,758.

The Withdean pitch looked oh-so different to the beach-like mess that Albion last played on. Ground staff spent the two-and-a-half week break since the pitch was last used carrying out drastic repairs. The improved surface may have played a part in Micky Adams's decision to bring in Paul Brooker at the expense of Nathan Jones. It was the first change to the side in seven games, barring the experimental LDV Vans Trophy match. The change in personnel also meant a switch in formation, as Hart and Zamora formed a front pairing with Brooker tucked in behind the two and given the freedom to roam. Jones had to settle for a place on the bench, and alongside him was also returning injury victim Darren Freeman.

Exeter arrived in wretched form, losing their last six games, and despite an early spurt - during which Michel Kuipers made a fine save from Kevin Rapley - the Grecians never really looked like getting back to winning ways.

Six minutes before Albion took the lead on 18 minutes. Danny Cullip fired just wide from a half-cleared ball. Paul Rogers scored nine goals from a central midfield berth last season, and the Albion skipper is showing signs of bettering his best. Charlie Oatway picked out Zamora with a cross-field ball, but the teenage hotshot was blocked by ex-Albion man Jamie Campbell. However the ball broke kindly for Rogers - breaking into the box - and the skipper drove home for 1-0.

On 32 minutes Albion suffered the blow of losing central defender Matthew Wicks with a hamstring strain. This allowed Andy Crosby a rare taste of action, as he smoothly slotted into the void left by Wicks to give a faultless display.

Hart and Paul Watson both went close before the break, but on the stroke of half-time came the only downside from the game. Charlie Oatway picked up his fifth caution of the season for a challenge on Steve Flack. The tough-tackling ball-winner is always liable to pick up bookings, it's an aspect of his game that makes him the player he is, but the yellow card now means he will miss the visit of Lincoln on January 6.

Early in the second half, Exeter brought on giant striker Kevin Francis, but it was Albion who scored next. Hart doubled Albion's lead on 61 minutes, although he was aided by former team-mate Jamie Campbell. Back in his preferred central role, his goal ironically came from a raid down the flank, as his cross into the box was deflected in past his own keeper by Campbell.

There was a late appearance from Darren Freeman, seemingly well on his way to full fitness, though he did collect Albion's third booking of the night, though that tally was nothing compared to the visitors. It maybe a time for giving out cards, but referee Paul Rejer was in no mood for being festive, as he dished out ten yellow cards to Exeter players, but amazingly didn't have to use his red one!

With three points already in the Christmas stocking, Manager Adams, who pleased with the result but not the performance, will now be looking to make that six at Barnet on Boxing Day.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
arrogant?

I think that at this moment in time, we have every reason to be confident in our team.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Trouble is if we become arrogant and then not so good its harder for fans to keep turning up,i think gus has a team with boots on the ground but some fans are going over the top,enjoy it and let as many others enjoy it to! i think alot of opposition fans would not begrudge us our moments of glory,lets remember our past as well as enjoy the future:thumbsup: other clubs will suffer as we have so lets give support to those teams like the support we have been given. Thats all really:thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This was me, pre Yeovil.
They had it all, 'Brighton reserves', 1-0 wins away from home, game we should win.

But the way they were despatched kind of tells me this side is 'different' to everything we are used to, hence the whole comedy eye rubbing.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Make hay while sun shines, enjoy it while it lasts.

I agree that there is a fine line between being arrogant and over confident but you are only as good as your last game which we won so enjoy the moment and milk it.

Let's be honest we have had years of complete and utter pants when we would have loved to be cocky, yep make hay!

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
A certain amount of arrogance is required to win championships and gain promotion. Historically some of the best teams in the land have been perceived as arrogant and it is borne from the winning mentality and single minded attitude instilled in the team by the management and coaches. It's why people love to hate certain teams but there is no denying it often makes them successful. I haven't seen any evidence of the Albion team or management displaying overt signs of arrogance, they haven't been making provocative or derogatory pre-match statements and they haven't been giving it the 'biggun' when scoring and beating teams in this division. On the contrary, Gus and his team have been showing respect and are simply going about their business of playing good football and getting results. Some of the fans may be showing some arrogance but that is to be expected and Albion fans are no different than any others.

I think what we are seeing from the Albion is confidence, a strong work ethic and a desire to win games - arrogance? none at all. Gus will prepare the team as professionally as he has all season, he will do his homework on Exeter and devise a plan and approach to try and beat them. He will not be bothered by statistics and worries that the run must come to an end - it doesn't have to and he will be demanding that the unbeaten run continues, he has the right players in the right frame of mind and I fully expect us to run out comfortable winners. Albion 4 - 0 Exeter will do nicely. :albion2:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I had a couple of pints with a Brentford fan who went to their game on Sat. He said it was a weird game - they could have scored more, but so could Exeter, who battered them for large parts of the game.

I think we'll be fine - control the game and then nick a goal late on. Probably KLL with a 25 yard rocket!
:albion2:

Make hay while sun shines, enjoy it while it lasts.

I agree that there is a fine line between being arrogant and over confident but you are only as good as your last game which we won so enjoy the moment and milk it.

Let's be honest we have had years of complete and utter pants when we would have loved to be cocky, yep make hay!

possible 3 titles in ten years it aint been too bad matey:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here