Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogance

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It doesn't matter one jot what Albion fans think, it's all about what Gus thinks and how he prepares the team.

Gus will never be complacent or arrogant.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Well said but there is a fine line between arrogance and confidence n'est ce-pas?

100% correct. I think we will win. I am sure the players will be treating the game exactly the same as if they were facing ManU. We are allowed to express we are confident. That is not at all arrogant and if we lose, then fair enough Donny will have deserved it.

Seaaaaaaaaagggggguuuuullllllllllssssssssss!!

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I think the Vbookie betting pattern shows what people think will happen today, along with the actual bookmakers.

I hope our defence deals with Billy Sharp, that's all.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the Vbookie betting pattern shows what people think will happen today, along with the actual bookmakers.

I hope our defence deals with Billy Sharp, that's all.

Personally, I do not think he is the biggest problem. A fair few of his goals were scored from PENS last season. Coppinger on the other hand is the playmaker. This was confirmed by A Donny fan who said when Coppinger is on form..... so are Donny. Bridcutt needs to make sure he does not get a sniff. If that happens Sharpe will not have much to feed off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If he's playing, I hope Kyle Bennett isn't as good as his big brother. I agree with Bozza, it doesn't matter what the fans think, it's what Gus and the team think.

sixnilup

Jul 24, 2007
Enjoy the day for what it is.

I've supported this club since 1977 and have waited for this day a long time.
Win, loose or draw, our great Club is the biggest winner of the day because we can finally celebrate our new home and a bright future.

I forecast a 1.1 draw

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I dont see why some are laughing at the prospect of Donny taking all three points to spoil the occasion. There is a certain degree of arrogance which has swept across a minority of albion fans lately, suggesting that we will be taking teams like Doncaster to the cleaners before a ball is kicked. Playing bertie big bollocks will not go in our favour.

Being that the club has been on its knees in recent times makes the fans and the club look like we are sticking our two fingers up at all the support we had during the dark days. Now we've got a new ground, chairman with a bit of money, and all of a sudden we start resembling the arrogance you would normally associate with a club like Leeds. Certain people are gradually ruining the reputation the club has earned over the years.

Stop it.

I'm going to have to disagree with the basic premise of this thread. I've highlighted above the very reason why there was always going to be an air of arrogance around today's momentous occasion. If fans who have been there through thick and thin can't walk with a swagger in their step today then when can they ? Call it arrogance if you like, but naturally many today will feel like they're walking on air and that we're unconquerable - I think they've earned that right.

Most importantly, as has been pointed out, Gus and the team won't be having any of that and will be fully prepared and approach the game as any other - in a totally professional manner.

Whilst I totally agree that it will be embarrassing if an arrogant attitude was to take hold, for today at least, let's just enjoy it !....I don't think there'll be many Donny fans who won't understand fully where we're coming from today. :ascarf:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I do think that some are mistaking enthusiasm with arrogance. But I do have to say that there are some who are talking as though this league is a cake walk. Experience has told us different.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Think many fans will underestimate the quality of the Championship and it may be a very tough season ahead for us.

Them's wise words, Beachy. That's the advantage of watching The Albion through thin & thinner though innit. Some people have a great deal to learn about football - let alone supporting The Albion - methinks...

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
It's the ignorance that a big stadium = success by virtue.

Only have to look as far as Darlington to see the flaw in that assumption.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's the ignorance that a big stadium = success by virtue.

Only have to look as far as Darlington to see the flaw in that assumption.

If memory serves me correct SCC struggled at home for a while once they had left the Dell

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh dear, whilst I stand by the gist of my argument in my previous post, I didn't see this thread :facepalm:

Doncaster - our EASIEST game of the season!

Perhaps the opening poster is spot on after all ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here