Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Argus's assessment of last night.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You do - it's called the club website

Most other teams around the country have 'reporters' and columnists that are 'club friendly'. We have Naylor and Owen. Probably explains why news usually breaks here first and not The Arsegas.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Having a sports writer who clearly isn't a fan of the team he's writing about is frustrating. It's not just unbiased, it feels like Naylor actively dislikes the club. Feels like this is since Blooms chairmanship, he wasn't this negative with Knight in charge. Old boys club?

Didn't Naylor run an article about Poyet's departure that said something Bloom didn't like, I wonder if that changed the clubs relationship with the local rag.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Blackstock missed a sitter (AKA Hemed) and Lansbury really should have scored. For the majority of the second half I could only see a forest winner. Having said that this team has some fight and spirit.

Forest were good second half, but only created those two chances and the goal really, which isn't that much. We created two clear chances in the second half as well and scored one of them.

My point is really that despite not playing well, we contrived a win which is what all successful promotion chasers do. Which is great to see as in past seasons, we usually contrive to lose/draw.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Most other teams around the country have 'reporters' and columnists that are 'club friendly'. We have Naylor and Owen. Probably explains why news usually breaks here first and not The Arsegas.

That's not necessarily the case. Paul Barber and the management team aren't that daft that they'll deliberately try to antagonise the local paper.

NSC has thousands of pairs of eyes and ears, the Argus has two.

I'm afraid that's simply not true. Many other teams have reporters and columnists who have been banned from actually entering stadiums and reporting on games such is the scrutiny they place on clubs.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
OK.
So El Pres misinterpreted whatNaylor said.
What Naylor said is open to misinterpretation.
As he can't admit to reading NSC Naylor has to go on Twitter to "complain" about his words being misinterpreted.

The world has moved on from the time when the local press were the only or certainly the best source of information about your club.
Naylor has failed to understand or respond.
He could have "done a Barber" and argued his corner openly in his column and maybe won his critics round.
He could have "done an Insider" and developed a relationship of mutual respect.

Instead he has fallen out with the club and with the fans.
Not being an Albion fan is just fine. Suspol, Paul Barber, and Tom Gorringe, to name just three, are not first & foremost Albion fans. It makes no difference to their relationship with us. In the "good old days" John Vinnicombe not infrequently slagged off the team even when he was too pissed to actually remember what happened at a match. I don't have an issue with honest critique and Naylor is invariably ok and can readily justify his view. It just doesn't have a rose coloured tint to it.
Whingeing on Twitter over a misinterpretation of a not particularly clearly written piece isn't a good move though. Just shows he is way beyond bridge building with the fans.

OK.
As he can't admit to reading NSC Naylor has to go on Twitter to "complain" about his words being misinterpreted.

The world has moved on from the time when the local press were the only or certainly the best source of information about your club.
He could have "done a Barber" and argued his corner openly in his column and maybe won his critics round.

Not being an Albion fan is just fine. Suspol, Paul Barber, and Tom Gorringe, to name just three, are not first & foremost Albion fans. It makes no difference to their relationship with us. In the "good old days" John Vinnicombe not infrequently slagged off the team even when he was too pissed to actually remember what happened at a match. I don't have an issue with honest critique and Naylor is invariably ok and can readily justify his view. It just doesn't have a rose coloured tint to it.
Whingeing on Twitter over a misinterpretation of a not particularly clearly written piece isn't a good move though. Just shows he is way beyond bridge building with the fans.

Mate - when were you appointed spokesman for "the fans"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
OK.

Nope, El Pres mistook who wrote the article. Naylor complained that things he didn't write (Brian Owen did) were being attributed to him and used as a stick to beat him with. El Pres has apologised and the apology has been accepted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
pS - not the most controversial of comments about last night but Naylor didn't write them. His colleague at the Argus; Brian Owen wrote that line in his online report.

Me bad, got the author wrong. Apologies to AN on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the title of the thread has now been changed, but in the interests of fairness, it should say Brian Owen now, instead of Argus. Fans will still assume Argus means Naylor.

OK.

The original thread title mentioned Andy Naylor. It was then changed to Argus, but still fans are reading it as AN.

This is why I suggested the title be amended to Brian Owen.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
The original thread title mentioned Andy Naylor. It was then changed to Argus, but still fans are reading it as AN.

This is why I suggested the title be amended to Brian Owen.

Excellent :thumbsup: Like many I didn't read the whole thread (it's not a novel after all) before making a comment (although my point remains that AN expends way too much energy getting pissed at, and pissing off, fans)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Rumours break here – they may come true, but a lot of the time they come to nothing. The Arsegas prints a story when (the majority of the time) the deals are signed and it's been confirmed by the club. That's traditionally how journalism works.

As I've said before - those who want rid of Naylor (and Owen, seeing as he is the guy that voiced the opinion that started this thread) should be careful what they wish for. The alternative could (probably would, knowing the direction local rags are going in) be A LOT worse.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Excellent :thumbsup: Like many I didn't read the whole thread (it's not a novel after all) before making a comment (although my point remains that AN expends way too much energy getting pissed at, and pissing off, fans)

It could also be argued that many fans waste too much energy getting pissed off with AN for essentially doing his job. Or lightheartedly mentioning that the player who scored the winner last night is on loan from the team he supports!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
It could also be argued that many fans waste too much energy getting pissed off with AN for essentially doing his job. Or lightheartedly mentioning that the player who scored the winner last night is on loan from the team he supports!

This is a very fair and balanced viewpoint with which I entirely concur :thumbsup:

#TwoSidesToTheStreet

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Having a sports writer who clearly isn't a fan of the team he's writing about is frustrating. It's not just unbiased, it feels like Naylor actively dislikes the club. Feels like this is since Blooms chairmanship, he wasn't this negative with Knight in charge. Old boys club?

Didn't Naylor run an article about Poyet's departure that said something Bloom didn't like, I wonder if that changed the clubs relationship with the local rag.

Surely he benefits if the club gets promoted? He'll be a Premier League journo. Exactly where any football journalist would sell their granny to be!

Why would he risk missing out on his meal ticket to the big time by pissing off the club he reports on, along with its fans? I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Surely he benefits if the club gets promoted? He'll be a Premier League journo. Exactly where any football journalist would sell their granny to be!

Why would he risk missing out on his meal ticket to the big time by pissing off the club he reports on, along with its fans? I could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

A journalist can write about anything - you don't earn the right to report on the Premier League. I imagine Naylor would enjoy putting the boot regardless of which league we're in,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here