Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you happy with Ulloa out and O'Grady in?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Where has anyone said they have 100% faith? Most people have been saying see how it goes. See which players we sign with the Ulloa money. We may even have a few lined up. Give the club a chance to sign players and see what team we have ready for the start of the season. Or you could just moan all the time.

Far too sensible to post this !!

Oh, and the poster will moan all the time, dont you worry about that. We could sign Ronaldo, Bale and Messi and people will STILL moan.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
We were always going to lose Ulloa once Leicester showes they really wanted him. As long as we sign another decent striker we'll be ok.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Losing Leo is horrible but its given our finances a big boost. It should make recruitment a lot easier....now is the time to spend smart!

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I give up.

Some people simply don't understand the concept of bedding in or getting to know your side.

I'm sure we'll be absolutely fine with the names we'll bring in at the last minute, be they absolute quality or lower league gambles, after all it worked for the Galacticos didn't it :O

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You make it sound like a swap deal!
O'Grady arrival has nothing whatsoever to do with Leo depature.
You are wasting your time with the growing number of bed wetters on here.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Hypothetically, if we were to get say Baldock for c£2 million, O'Grady for £c500k, Butland on loan and Ward for £c500k(?) we would still have £c2.5 million PROFIT from Ulloa's sale to strengthen elsewhere, and we would certainly be in better shape in my opinion.

I think Ulloa's departure has been the proverbial cork in our transfer dealings so far and they should all come flooding through once the deal is complete and the monies have been wired into our account.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Getting back to the original question, I'll take it. If Ulloa wanted to go then there was simply no point hanging on to him and £7 million is very good business. If O'Grady managed 15 goals in a poor team then there is probably something there worth pursuing. Our scouting team took an age to land Ulloa so I'll assume that something similar has been taking place with O'Grady.

Also, I am optimistic that CMS will be in the goals this season. He's been finding the net pre-season so I'm hopeful that Sami will find a way to deploy him that suits his skills.

I might be wrong of course.

Good sensible post, and a fair reflection of my thinking.

O'Grady might make it, might not ... like many strikers they're only as good as what's around them.

Wonder how much we'd have thought Vokes was worth after his loan stint with us? Wasn't Murray a bit of a journeyman?

Last edited:

Centurion

Sep 2, 2012
We likely needed another striker anyway so whose to say COG is the straight replacement and not something that was always being looked at and a more marquee striker won't join.......here's hoping anyway

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Hypothetically, if we were to get say Baldock for c£2 million, O'Grady for £c500k, Butland on loan and Ward for £c500k(?) we would still have £c2.5 million PROFIT from Ulloa's sale to strengthen elsewhere, and we would certainly be in better shape in my opinion.

I think Ulloa's departure has been the proverbial cork in our transfer dealings so far and they should all come flooding through once the deal is complete and the monies have been wired into our account.

Doesn't this suggest that if we hadn't sold Ulloa we wouldn't have signed anyone of note? That's a bit worrying given that we have the highest average attendances in the Championship and arguably the biggest gate receipts.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I actually think its good business. 7 million plus for a 28 year old we paid 2 million for who by all accounts may not actually fit in to how we play. We replace him with a 28 year old who has a decent record in front of goal since joining Barnsley for a small 500k. Personally i think a 500k plan B with a similar record to Ulloa over the past 2 seasons is better than an 8 million pound plan B sitting on a bench. It has been suggested Hyypia prefers a front man with pace and mobility which Ulloa is not. Therefore i personally expect a different striker to also join.
Will potentially mean 4 million more being spent on players, a few free transfers and a few loans coming in. A expect a GK, LB, a wide player, an attacking CM and another CF to come in to the fold at the very least.
Currently the squad is very thin in places but i believe the squad will look better for this deal.

Something like
New GK
Bruno
Dunk
Hughes
Ward
Tonko
Stephens
New attacking CM
Buckley
Lingarrd - maybe
New CF

Bench
Walton
Ince
March
Lualua
COG
Greer
Crofts

Also players like Calderon, fenalon ect to come in

Looks like a competative squad to me

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If we took £7.5m for ulloa and reinvested that money in three or hour players like o'grady I'd be made up.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Ulloa out, O'Grady, Becchio and Lingard in would be good business in my opinion. Take Becchio out of that equation and it's not so good

Take Lingard out the equation and replace him with Baldock then that is great business. Rather we sign our own players instead of loaning unless a real gem comes along like Bridge.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I actually think its good business. 7 million plus for a 28 year old we paid 2 million for who by all accounts may not actually fit in to how we play. We replace him with a 28 year old who has a decent record in front of goal since joining Barnsley for a small 500k. Personally i think a 500k plan B with a similar record to Ulloa over the past 2 seasons is better than an 8 million pound plan B sitting on a bench. It has been suggested Hyypia prefers a front man with pace and mobility which Ulloa is not. Therefore i personally expect a different striker to also join.
Will potentially mean 4 million more being spent on players, a few free transfers and a few loans coming in. A expect a GK, LB, a wide player, an attacking CM and another CF to come in to the fold at the very least.
Currently the squad is very thin in places but i believe the squad will look better for this deal.

Something like
New GK
Bruno
Dunk
Hughes
Ward
Tonko
Stephens
New attacking CM
Buckley
Lingarrd - maybe
New CF

Bench
Walton
Ince
March
Lualua
COG
Greer
Crofts

Also players like Calderon, fenalon ect to come in

Looks like a competative squad to me

This with bells on, a good sensible post....

I also expect CMS to have a cracking season with us this year. I was unimpressed with Ulloa at times when he got frustrated durin games and seemed to give up throwing his hands up and looking skyward, our CMS just keeps running, keeps chasing more my kind of player I like the idea of a headless chicken in my team he never gives up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here