Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we going to be in a relegation battle this season??

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Fair enough, I thought you specifically meant managing in the Championship.

I said some time ago that only 1 foreign manager had achieved promotion from this league in something like the last 20 odd sides promoted. I was quite rightly pointed out to that there aren't many foreign managers in the championship......Ask yourself why that is??? Managing in the championship is a world away from managing in the prem.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I feel a bit sorry for OG. He's inherited a shambolic situation compounded with injuries. It would appear he hasn't been able to get his own players in and the club have relied on burke so far. Surely he cant be happy with that situation. The club are trying to compound £8m losses per year and are cutting costs where possible which means we are not able to afford the big game players required for a promotion push this year. having said that, I fully expect us to be mid table, hopefully higher when we get a fully fit squad to pick from. At present OG has his hands tied to some degree as far as I can see.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Far, Far too early to call. Early signs are not encouraging, but we know we have the players to turn it around. I'm confident that Oscar can read the game well and knows we need quality players throughout the side. The only problem is we don't seem to have the funds available. That may change by transfer window deadline day of course.

I feel a bit sorry for OG. He's inherited a shambolic situation compounded with injuries. It would appear he hasn't been able to get his own players in and the club have relied on burke so far. Surely he cant be happy with that situation. The club are trying to compound £8m losses per year and are cutting costs where possible which means we are not able to afford the big game players required for a promotion push this year. having said that, I fully expect us to be mid table, hopefully higher when we get a fully fit squad to pick from. At present OG has his hands tied to some degree as far as I can see.

Far too a sensible post for NSC!

A point at Birmingham would be nice though ....

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Buy a copy. Only 60p.

Buy the Sun? No football fan should EVER buy it, in my humble opinion of course.

But yes, we were awful yesterday, clueless. Yet we still made loads of chances, and could have scored several times. So it's difficult to know whether to worry or not.

If OG instils a style and structure that the players believe in, we'll do well. If yesterday's performance was the shape of things to come it's gonna be a long, hard season.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Having been to both league games, I don't think 2-1 was a fair reflection on either game. The handball at Leeds and the unawarded penalty yesterday, could of, may be should of given us two points from two games. It happens, we are very disjointed at the moment and missed Bridcutt badly yesterday. Of course relegation is a worry judging by last season. But it certainly shouldn't be a worry yet. Hopefully OG will get us playing the way he wants and we settle down and have a good season. A lot on here thought OG would be flair personified, but nobody has the god given right to succeed, especially with FFP coming in now. Personally I think we will finish mid table this season, which won't be a total diasaster.

Too early for this thread, we are playing very poorly at the moment and it's disheartening that after 9 games of presason and regular that Oscar hasn't really been able to get his ideas working successfully yet. But my feeling is that we are looking at a big squad overhaul if his more direct tactics are to bear fruit, so he needs to be fully judged after he's brought his own players in

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I keep reading that Oscar didn't have a pre season or a disjointed pre season, but he took over as coach/manager the very week the players came back for training. Therefore, he has had a full pre season.

And how many of those players he had a full pre-season with were his choice, how many did he sign for the club. Pre-Season starts months before the end of the previous season with planning signings and the retained list, OG had no control at all over them, he is playing with Gus Poyets team right now

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Worry about it in April if we are their. Personally think you will be worrying about a play off date.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And how many of those players he had a full pre-season with were his choice, how many did he sign for the club. Pre-Season starts months before the end of the previous season with planning signings and the retained list, OG had no control at all over them, he is playing with Gus Poyets team right now

And if we'd struggled last season we could use that as an excuse. We didn't. We finished 4th. We have lost Bridge which is huge, but the rest of the squad is pretty much untouched.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
And if we'd struggled last season we could use that as an excuse. We didn't. We finished 4th. We have lost Bridge which is huge, but the rest of the squad is pretty much untouched.

Bridge, Bruno, Bridcutt, Orlandi, CMS, Hoskins? My point was OG has not brought in a single player yet, he is asking Gus Poyets players to play football his way, that is never going to happen overnight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here