Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we going to be in a relegation battle this season??

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The bookies have pushed BHAFC out from a best priced 18/1 to 33/1 for the league title and from 9/2 to 7/1 for promotion.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We have lost two matches to poor sides so its naive to think that we are too good to go down.

Poor sides?? Derby are not a poor side. Passed it well and looked dangerous for periods of the game. Brighton looked like a team that had never played together. Especially first half

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On the penultimate weekend of last season, only a couple of clubs had no chance of either relegation or a place in the top six. With three weeks to go, eight clubs could still have gone down or made the play-offs. So with a very few exceptions, at the moment everyone is in a relegation battle until they get enough points to guarantee safety.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If we lose next Saturday then Burnley and Millwall suddenly become two must win games because if we can't beat them two at home, after that we have Reading and Qpr away. It's far to early to hit the panic button but yesterday was the worst home performance in the league at the Amex agianst a average side. The same amount of points per game will see you relegated. If we get a point against Birmingham then two home wins everything will look rosy, if we don't that could be 1 or 2 points from 6 games and we WILL be in a relegation scrap.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
IMO we are two full backs short, 1 in midfield and an decent striker to compliment ulloa. That combined with keeping players free from injury will certainly keep us mid table and towards the play offs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the penultimate weekend of last season, only a couple of clubs had no chance of either relegation or a place in the top six. With three weeks to go, eight clubs could still have gone down or made the play-offs. So with a very few exceptions, at the moment everyone is in a relegation battle until they get enough points to guarantee safety.

That's a fact.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I agree we look like we are suffering from a disjointed pre season so will get better a few games in. I think the long ball aspect of our play is because it appeared we were playing into Agustien who was quickly looking to play the killer ball to the front line. The problem was too often he made a bad pass so in the end he was bypassed and we went from back to front in 1 go.

Either he will start to sharpen up or we will bring in more technically gifted players to be able to pull it off. The main problem with having a background of coaching at Barcelona is forgetting that you need certain technical ability as a player to be able to play a quick passing game and that is difficult to find at a lower level

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree we look like we are suffering from a disjointed pre season

I keep reading that Oscar didn't have a pre season or a disjointed pre season, but he took over as coach/manager the very week the players came back for training. Therefore, he has had a full pre season.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't see the need to jump on the post starter or anyone else who thinks there is a chance we could go down this season.
I don't think we will - mid table until OG starts to get things running totally his way - but we went from play-off finalists to relegation before. It can happen but hopefully we'll have far too much quality when we are at full strength to let it occur this campaign.

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
:ffsparr: we've lost two league games, i dont think we'll achieve what we did last year with such a strong league this season but come on... relegation seriously?last year we were talking about brighton in the prem! now we're speaking about them in league one? like others had said, we're one point off what we were last year. stop worrying and get behind the albion!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's basically the same players being asked to do something alien to what they have been doing for the last two years. That why I said Lopez should not have re signed and we needed to ship a few out. Carry on like yesterday and the SAME team that played under Poyet will start to question the manager and his ways, its only natural.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I agree that it's important we get some points on the boards before the end of August, as all the games in Sept look scary!

However let's see who else comes in before 11pm 2nd Sept before panicking too much. Even then if there are another 2 or 3 first teamers, they will need time to gel. Patience required and for me time to start worrying will be xmas if we're in the bottom 3.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I keep reading that Oscar didn't have a pre season or a disjointed pre season, but he took over as coach/manager the very week the players came back for training. Therefore, he has had a full pre season.

There is a world of difference between a pre season with an established team playing in a familiar style under a long term manager than what we had. I am not highlighting the lack of time we had for pre season but merely the circumstances of the set up which was always going to be the case with a change of manager/head coach

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I agree that it's important we get some points on the boards before the end of August, as all the games in Sept look scary!

However let's see who else comes in before 11pm 2nd Sept before panicking too much. Even then if there are another 2 or 3 first teamers, they will need time to gel. Patience required and for me time to start worrying will be xmas if we're in the bottom 3.
If we're bottom in November you'll be worrying trust me!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Garcia has never played or managed in England and gets some other guy to scout out players for him. Frankly it is a shambles. It is getting to look like a " hey guys the pre season is a week away, I think we should get a manager in " scenario. Garcia was not in anyones list for weeks and then was appointed, out of the blue and from leftfield. A huge gamble. Some gamble's come off, we will see.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
:ffsparr: we've lost two league games, i dont think we'll achieve what we did last year with such a strong league this season but come on... relegation seriously?last year we were talking about brighton in the prem! now we're speaking about them in league one? like others had said, we're one point off what we were last year. stop worrying and get behind the albion!

Relegation seriously - of course it's possible. The difference between play offs and relegation last season was 5 wins, that difference is not much more than marginal.

We've already lost 2 and both of those in games we won last season. No club has a right to be in this division and I hope the players and staff don't think that the notion of relegation is ridiculous.

I don't see us getting caught up in it but if the next three games pass us by we are going to get caught up in it pretty friggin quickly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here