Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we being too precious?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
On the plus side our team isn't getting stale! As long as we can keep them coming in, upgrade, sell of for a profit it's exciting stuff to see who is next in. Chelsea can have them at top dollar.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
As someone else mentioned, surely if Potter wanted to effectively move the entire Brighton set up to Chelsea, surely it would have been easier to cut out the middle man and just stay at Brighton? Everything was here already!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As someone else mentioned, surely if Potter wanted to effectively move the entire Brighton set up to Chelsea, surely it would have been easier to cut out the middle man and just stay at Brighton? Everything was here already!
Apart from champions league football

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's more the notion that we're some 'special case' or that any player would choose us over another because we apparently offer an easy release option. Most players or agents wouldn't remotely factor that in on choosing a club imho.
I think the idea that you can move on whenever you like might get tested this January. Sitting as we do in amongst clubs chasing European qualification, selling Caicedo or Trossard to one of those competitors mid season is not something I think TB would be keen on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Millions of reasons why.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
8 players going to the world cup the 6th most among PL teams shows we are doing a good job bringing in youngsters that will grow in value before being sold
There is however a certain amount of 'luck' in that statistic, e.g. the PL's top scorer and 5 of the top 10 scorers this season won't be at the World Cup, either through nationality (Haaland, Almiron) or missing out to "better" alternatives (Toney, Firmino, Rodrigo).

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Your points are valid, but no, I don't think we're being too precious. As has been pointed out Chelsea have come along and taken key members of our staff at every level of our organisation. Yes one can say it's 'just business'. Yes we have to accept that we will always be a 'stepping stone' club. Yes good players are sold to bigger clubs, successful managers move to bigger clubs and people get better jobs - but this is exceptional. In this case Chelsea have taken SO many of our people in such a short space of time (I've actually lost count) that I think anybody who just smiles and shrugs and says "Ah well, that's football" ... I was going to say "is not a proper Brighton fan", but that's unfair, so I'll say "hasn't got the same level of emotional engagement that a lot of us have".

So I think we have every right to experience impotent rage. BOOO!
I completley agree with you, I am very surprised that more hasn't been made of it in the media, which I think is a case of willful igorance by the press given that the "wronged" club is little old Brighton

When I explaibned to my Arsenal supporting friend exactlyy who had gone he was amazed , he thought it was just Potter and his staff, plus Cucurella. Had no idea about the goal keeping coach, Bruno, recruitment guys etc. To his credit it said he thoufght it was wrong and a shitty thing for Chelsea to do

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yes. Taken chunks of staff with a manager happens quite often, you just don't read about it. This is what football fans do isn't it? They obsess in minutiae about their teams affairs but read the headlines about others so aren't aware of the details behind the story.....
Its accepted that when a new manager comes in, he usually brings in his own people, and they leave with them to, we did it to Swansea, whoi did it to Osstersands. Thats is accepted practice, its the systematic poaching of all levels of people from areas that arent usually seen as "coming in the managerial package"that I think iss different this time

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Todd Boehly has taken over a football club. Todd is an American with little knowledge of football who has bought a club from a Russian. He's looked to dismantle what was in place by the Russian so that it is all his. The quickest way of doing that was to hire a team already used to working together with success. This wholesale takeover of our staff has little to do with Potter or anyone else. If Todd Boehly said 'Graham I just want to hire you and 3 of your coaching staff' - that is what would have happened. Instead it was 'Graham I am going to hire you, all the coaching staff and some of the recruitment team too'. This idea that Potter went there with a huge amount of power across the entire staff at Chelsea is at best a bit fanciful.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
OK, so we are all mightily pissed off with how Chelsea seem to be intent on dismantling our club, and undoing all the good work of the past 10 years or so. From our point of view it is a co-ordinated systematic attempt to destroy the club by simply buying whole swathes of players, management, coaches, and now recruitment in an attempt to make theirs better

I can not think of any other club raiding another on this scale, its not just a manager and his staff, or a couple of players, it goes much much deeper than that.

However, with the exception of Brighton fans its hardly mentioned anywhere. I can only imagine if a top six club was treated by another club in the same way there would be pages and pages of media about it

So, are we seeing more in this than there really is, and its just business. Should we be happy that we are undoubtedly getting well paid for it, and that really, blue and white specs off, there really is nothing to see or should we, and the wider footballing world be actually concerned that a bigger, wealthier club is intent on the virtual take over and asset stripping of a smaller upcoming potential rival in order to further their own agenda?
It seems to me to effectivly be a hostile takeover, how long before the cheque book is out for Barber, Gully, and the ball boys and girls

However good the succesion planning is, there are limits as to how many players, coaches, backroom staff, managers, technical staff can be replaced in such a short space of time without there being a massive impact on the club, and with the rumoured intrest in Sanchez, Trossard and Caceiado in January I am starting to fear for our position in the league
The thing is, it may all go tits up at Chelsea, buying a 'team' and transplanting them into a different place & culture is no guarantee of success. The management team could be sacked in 6 months, then what?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Honestly? I'm well past caring. It's not like the club will collapse and die.

Before this weekend, loads of posters were on about how we were on our way to Europe, RDZ was an upgrade on Graham 'the man to blame for everything' Potter and this Winstanley fella was deemed 'not all that'.

Make your fecking minds up lads and lasses 🤣🤣
Amazing what a few wins will do.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The thing is, it may all go tits up at Chelsea, buying a 'team' and transplanting them into a different place & culture is no guarantee of success. The management team could be sacked in 6 months, then what?
Then what?

Then we will all have a bloody good laugh at the greedy fecker. :lolol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There is however a certain amount of 'luck' in that statistic, e.g. the PL's top scorer and 5 of the top 10 scorers this season won't be at the World Cup, either through nationality (Haaland, Almiron) or missing out to "better" alternatives (Toney, Firmino, Rodrigo).

On other hand “luck” could have made it 9 if Moder had not been injured. Or 10 if Southgate hadn’t got a blind spot re: Dunk .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know. It was actually a good comment (I hadn't heard it before). Dunno why I made that reply! I can't stand it usually when someone makes a clever comment and people take it at face value!
Are you being ironic toward someone's irony?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here