Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we being too precious?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It's looking pathetic on the part of Boehly who clearly has no independent thought processes. For balance, could argue it's allowed us to upgrade our manager (getting someone with CL experience and genuine rather than 'learned' EI, and who brought his team with him), take one of their star youngsters on loan, upgrade our LB and rinse them for almost double what Pep thought he was worth (pocketing almost £50m in the process) and banked over £80m from them overall (so far).

Pretty confident that if they do come in for anyone else, they're going to pay a whopping premium (again), and that we'll have a plan in place for succession.
Turn it around 180 degrees and the Chelsea fans think they have been done , truly taken to the cleaners ...

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I know people hate this old cliche...but this is a is what it is situation. Sucks that bigger clubs feast on if you will clubs like us, but we just have to buck up and continue to do things the right way. It does make me happy and content and should all Brighton fans, that we have an owner like TB in charge. In him, I trust completely.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The counter argument is that ambitious people will be happy to come to Brighton because they know TB won’t stand in their way (for the right dosh).
I’ve never bought into that line, which is often trotted out on here. I can’t imagine any player thinking, “Ooh that’s a carrot, if I sign for Brighton they won’t stand in my way.” If a player or manager wants to leave us they usually leave, plus Cucurella and less so Bliss threw their toys out apparently because they didn’t get their way, which contradicts that line, also Dale Stephens being denied his move, plus Ashworth being put on gardening leave and now Winstanley etc. etc. It’s just not reality imho, more blue and white specs being worn.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve never bought into that line, which is often trotted out on here. I can’t imagine any player thinking, “Ooh that’s a carrot, if I sign for Brighton they won’t stand in my way.” If a player or manager wants to leave us they usually leave, plus Cucurella and less so Bliss threw their toys out apparently because they didn’t get their way, which contradicts that line, also Dale Stephens being denied his move, plus Ashworth being put on gardening leave and now Winstanley etc. etc. It’s just not reality imho, more blue and white specs being worn.
Won’t stand in their way if the price is right - Cucu threw his toys because City tried lowballing TB. Not seen any evidence that Biss threw any toys. Ashworth’s gardening leave was because Toon refused to buy him out, and we’ve agreed ‘significant’ compo for Winstanley.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Looking forward to Chelsea adding “can’t buy a striker” to their “can’t score” issues

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We are no better scouting globally taking talent in, it's dog eat dog

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We have the right to be pissed off but at the same time it is the water we are swimming in. A fact of life that bigger clubs will take the good stuff we produce. The only difference is that it has all happened In a short period of time and the good stuff has gone to the same club.

We have no choice but to suck it up and get on with it.
We still have one or two players left, plus some bloke named Tony Bloom. Okay, he won't keep employees if they want to leave, but players who are under contract are another matter. If TB doesn't want to sell, he doesn't have to. If he does, we have to trust him to get the right deal and bring in the right replacement.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We still have one or two players left, plus some bloke named Tony Bloom. Okay, he won't keep employees if they want to leave, but players who are under contract are another matter. If TB doesn't want to sell, he doesn't have to. If he does, we have to trust him to get the right deal and bring in the right replacement.
Yeah I agree, dispite the recent pillaging of our club we are still looking in pretty good nick from where I am sitting.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
8 players going to the world cup the 6th most among PL teams shows we are doing a good job bringing in youngsters that will grow in value before being sold

No doubt if RDZ has a good second half of the season we will all be having a nervy summer in seeing who moves on and who stays.

It would be good if we could have some stability and only move on one top player so we can a better chance of winnin a cop or finishing in the top 6.

Regardless of how well the club is run and how successful they are in having replacements, it would be good to turn round and say no players or staff are available just to see how far this squad can go.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
No we're not being to precious! I'm half expecting to take the dog to Stanmer tomorrow & see cranes taking the Amex apart to move to Chelsea over the World Cup break! We are still doing well but it seems relentless atm! C&B&HAFC doesn't have a good ring to it. :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Most clubs lose two or three players in the summer, and we were ok with that. Most clubs lose a manager and a couple of his minions, and we were irritated but ok with that.
Then we lost four or five training staff, Mwepu couldn’t play any more, and now another staff member has gone to a rival.
I think we have every right to feel peeved. It’s not precious, it’s a natural reaction to a series of body blows followed by an upper cut.
I’m just pleased we got a blow in, right on the chin, by beating Chelsea comprehensively.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We are no better scouting globally taking talent in, it's dog eat dog
Chelsea were not scouting globally for about 7 recent recruits, they have been one stop shopping at BHAFC. It's paper talk at the moment, but Caicedo, Trossard, and Sanchez have all been linked with a move to Chelsea in recent days as well.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
OK, so we are all mightily pissed off with how Chelsea seem to be intent on dismantling our club, and undoing all the good work of the past 10 years or so. From our point of view it is a co-ordinated systematic attempt to destroy the club by simply buying whole swathes of players, management, coaches, and now recruitment in an attempt to make theirs better

I can not think of any other club raiding another on this scale, its not just a manager and his staff, or a couple of players, it goes much much deeper than that.

However, with the exception of Brighton fans its hardly mentioned anywhere. I can only imagine if a top six club was treated by another club in the same way there would be pages and pages of media about it

So, are we seeing more in this than there really is, and its just business. Should we be happy that we are undoubtedly getting well paid for it, and that really, blue and white specs off, there really is nothing to see or should we, and the wider footballing world be actually concerned that a bigger, wealthier club is intent on the virtual take over and asset stripping of a smaller upcoming potential rival in order to further their own agenda?
It seems to me to effectivly be a hostile takeover, how long before the cheque book is out for Barber, Gully, and the ball boys and girls

However good the succesion planning is, there are limits as to how many players, coaches, backroom staff, managers, technical staff can be replaced in such a short space of time without there being a massive impact on the club, and with the rumoured intrest in Sanchez, Trossard and Caceiado in January I am starting to fear for our position in the league
Your points are valid, but no, I don't think we're being too precious. As has been pointed out Chelsea have come along and taken key members of our staff at every level of our organisation. Yes one can say it's 'just business'. Yes we have to accept that we will always be a 'stepping stone' club. Yes good players are sold to bigger clubs, successful managers move to bigger clubs and people get better jobs - but this is exceptional. In this case Chelsea have taken SO many of our people in such a short space of time (I've actually lost count) that I think anybody who just smiles and shrugs and says "Ah well, that's football" ... I was going to say "is not a proper Brighton fan", but that's unfair, so I'll say "hasn't got the same level of emotional engagement that a lot of us have".

So I think we have every right to experience impotent rage. BOOO!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes. Taken chunks of staff with a manager happens quite often, you just don't read about it. This is what football fans do isn't it? They obsess in minutiae about their teams affairs but read the headlines about others so aren't aware of the details behind the story.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Point of interest, does Potter still live down here? If so I think we should organise a peaceful Mellor and Archer style fan visit for a mass BOO, just to show our appreciation :wink:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Won’t stand in their way if the price is right - Cucu threw his toys because City tried lowballing TB. Not seen any evidence that Biss threw any toys. Ashworth’s gardening leave was because Toon refused to buy him out, and we’ve agreed ‘significant’ compo for Winstanley.
It's more the notion that we're some 'special case' or that any player would choose us over another because we apparently offer an easy release option. Most players or agents wouldn't remotely factor that in on choosing a club imho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here