Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we being too precious?

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Yes. Taken chunks of staff with a manager happens quite often, you just don't read about it. This is what football fans do isn't it? They obsess in minutiae about their teams affairs but read the headlines about others so aren't aware of the details behind the story.....
Any examples

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My view is that as a supporter I have every right to get angry and upset.

OK, so Chelsea aren't breaking the law by nicking our coaching and recruitment teams, and targeting our best players. But I'm allowed to be rather pissed off that it's happening. (To me, reacting otherwise would be like cheering for goals scored by the opposing team or singing songs praising opposition players.)

Each to their own but I don't get it when people say fans are reacting irrationally. Everything about being a football fan is pretty irrational, when you boil it down. Which explains why I spend so much time on Twitter these days, searching for Potter-directed vitriol from Chelsea fans. I know there are more productive things I could be doing.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It's galling because it is so deep, all at once and to one club, however, it is the reality of our place in the food-chain. I think we come out of this well as a Club, and Chelsea may do very well out of it - they don't have the time, or are not prepared to build over so much time so they have to buy ready-made. Their vision is not ours; their thinking is "imagine if we had BHA set up backed with serious money - if we had found Cucurella 1st, we could have had him from the get-go just through out-bidding brighton, paying higher wages". Ours is built out of necessity ; the only sustainable way to try and compete and succession-planning is a vital part of that to try and achieve longevity.
Chelsea DNA in recent history is not built to accept building over-time. The recruitment impact will take some time, and its not as if they had trouble getting youngsters who are swashing around on loans across the English footballing pyramid. So it has to be about getting a "Trossard" instead of a Werner. If the Trossard rumours are true, they must realise that for every Trossard, you may get an Ali J or Locadia - for the fans, Cucurella is an Ali J right now. There are no guarantees when you buy even at the prices we buy at!
So my preciousness is built on the notion that I don't think Chelsea will see "the project" through. It is also built on the notion that, whilst succession planning helps manage change, the incoming may or may not be as good as the out-going.. they may be better of course, but so much change in such a short space of time is not helpful and would not have been what anyone wanted.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Honestly? I'm well past caring. It's not like the club will collapse and die.

Before this weekend, loads of posters were on about how we were on our way to Europe, RDZ was an upgrade on Graham 'the man to blame for everything' Potter and this Winstanley fella was deemed 'not all that'.

Make your fecking minds up lads and lasses 🤣🤣
Still over it then?

EliasTaproot

Oct 31, 2022
If you can point me to any time in recent or ancient history that a team in the same division has so thoroughly pillaged another club then I'd be interested in reading about it, maybe the Serie A gambling scandal? The fact it almost feels unprecedented makes me think we're not being too precious at all. Chelsea, Potter, his little gang and sideshow Bob **** off as far as I am concerned.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
If you can point me to any time in recent or ancient history that a team in the same division has so thoroughly pillaged another club then I'd be interested in reading about it, maybe the Serie A gambling scandal? The fact it almost feels unprecedented makes me think we're not being too precious at all. Chelsea, Potter, his little gang and sideshow Bob **** off as far as I am concerned.
Post 63.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I guess at the back of most of our minds is the lurking fear that we will not find adequate replacements for those who have left , and those who might leave, and we will tumble out of the Premier League at some stage. I do think at some stage Bloom will have to say "no" to some of the requests that are coming in for our players, even if the price is right.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I like the Leicester model of selling on ONE star player a season. Trossard has done his bit and is entitled to a move this summer, best of luck to him. The club though should make it clear no departures in the winter period, the loss of Dan Burn last year threw us seriously off track. As far as Chelsea are concerned they are a rival club, competing for Europe. We should not be helping them.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I like the Leicester model of selling on ONE star player a season. Trossard has done his bit and is entitled to a move this summer, best of luck to him. The club though should make it clear no departures in the winter period, the loss of Dan Burn last year threw us seriously off track. As far as Chelsea are concerned they are a rival club, competing for Europe. We should not be helping them.
If Chelsea come in for a player in January, and they're still within a few places of us (either way), I demand a response saying that we won't sell to a 'rival team'.

Would be hilarious.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I’m intrigued by Chelsea’s strategy. They have recently won the Champions League, and have been a top 4 club in England for most of the last 20 years. They have won multiple cups. This has all been funded by wracking up huge debts, and maybe a new way needed to be found…but the new owners effectively guaranteed to keep piling up the debt (by promising to invest at least £1.75 bn in players and infrastructure).
With Chelsea’s “pedigree”, and the level of future investment Boehly has promised, surely logically they would be spending big bucks to attract the absolute top European coaches and back-room staff. But instead they have raided the club that has been in the lower reaches of the EPL for 90% of the past few years. OK, we all agree that Potter did well at BHA. But it seems a phenomenal risk.
But maybe Boehly really isn’t that bothered about possible short-term pain. Maybe he’s looked at Man Utd and is happy copying the Glazers, who keep making stacks of money almost regardless of how well United do on the pitch. He and his fellow investors can no doubt afford to sit tight and watch the capital value of CFC increase, just so long as they stay in the Premier League.
It’ll be fascinating to see how it all plays out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here