Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we as good as I think we are?

We are currently the 6th best team in the country and we can improve according to our manager. Apart from Manchester City who will win the title we are among the teams chasing a champions league place/Europa place. Bearing in mind we've also played 8 of the current top 11 including City Liverpool Fulham and Manchester United away and can even include Brentford too.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Being as good as you think you are means: no longer looking at the fixtures list and mentally calculating which ones you‘re gonna loose because the other team are massive, which ones you may take away a point if you are lucky and which ones you feel you absolutely have to win because they are shite!

Being as good as you think you are means every match is winnable (with the exception of City), home or away, and thinking it’s really an exciting time to be a Brighton fan.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
To slightly dampen all the optimism (hey, I'm a glass half-empty kinda guy - well, not literally, it's Friday night..), there was an interesting comment on Twitter the other day that the key to our current success is our amazing recruitment and with Chelsea poaching our recruitment team, this could potentially derail Bloom's long-term goal, as it takes a long time to put a good recruitment structure in place.

Enjoy it while it lasts - we could go back to signing the likes of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh. :confused:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
To slightly dampen all the optimism (hey, I'm a glass half-empty kinda guy - well, not literally, it's Friday night..), there was an interesting comment on Twitter the other day that the key to our current success is our amazing recruitment and with Chelsea poaching our recruitment team, this could potentially derail Bloom's long-term goal, as it takes a long time to put a good recruitment structure in place.

Enjoy it while it lasts - we could go back to signing the likes of Locadia and Jahanbakhsh. :confused:
It was winstanley that found Ali j and locadia !

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Whereas in previous seasons after we had been promoted playing one of the big 6 normally meant we would worry how many we would lose by but the last 2 seasons we have been taking points of them all and haven't really looked out of place. GP started the process and De Zerbi will hopefully keep on improving on it. Now is the most exciting period to be supporting the team and I believe that European footy is closer to realisation then most think

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There seems to be a tendency to use 'Big 6' and 'Top 6' interchangeably (not you two - you haven't, I've just picked your quotes to highlight this!). It will be great if this ended - because we are, currently, top six. When folk say 'play a top 6 club', or 'the two top six clubs need to be drawn against each other' - I think "That's us!"

We are currently the 6th best team in the country and we can improve according to our manager. Apart from Manchester City who will win the title we are among the teams chasing a champions league place/Europa place. Bearing in mind we've also played 8 of the current top 11 including City Liverpool Fulham and Manchester United away and can even include Brentford too.

Whereas in previous seasons after we had been promoted playing one of the big 6 normally meant we would worry how many we would lose by but the last 2 seasons we have been taking points of them all and haven't really looked out of place. GP started the process and De Zerbi will hopefully keep on improving on it. Now is the most exciting period to be supporting the team and I believe that European footy is closer to realisation then most think

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I don't know how good you think we are! :)
I think we've got an amazing team, I thought we were stuffed when GP left. At the end of the day it's the 'team' that kick the ball & between them, score a goal or stop the opposing team scoring one and they're doing it quite well.
Do we deserve to be where we are now? Yes, we absolutely do. :albion:

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There seems to be a tendency to use 'Big 6' and 'Top 6' interchangeably (not you two - you haven't, I've just picked your quotes to highlight this!). It will be great if this ended - because we are, currently, top six. When folk say 'play a top 6 club', or 'the two top six clubs need to be drawn against each other' - I think "That's us!"
Yep, I’ve thought that a lot recently when reading some remarks so good to point it out. 👍

Also, I’ve said it before and likely will again but I think we probably should move on from the ‘Big 6’ epithet too - Newcastle not only can match or supersede the Big 6 clubs in terms of funding resources but are arguably the richest club in world football now and clearly will become regular qualifiers for Champions and Europa - the Big 6 have become the ‘Big 7’ (and yes but we are still 6th!!)

I’m sure I recall GP being asked last year after a good start start to the 2021/2 season (or was it this year?) whether he thought Brighton would qualify for Europe - I distinctly remember him saying ‘’ask me again when we are still 6th going into the international break”.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I’m surprised anyone underestimates TB these days. Panic when Potter left happy smiling faces a few weeks later . Winstanly is just a cog in the process.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
At the end of the day it's the 'team' that kick the ball & between them, stick the ball into our net or stop the opposing team putting it in theirs.
??? - sounds like some sort of Monty Python type match where we are both trying to score own goals, and the other team is trying to stop us....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here